close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insurance/Legal Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P15T, Apr 7, 2012.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

As some may already know, I love my Mustang.

Last summer, 3 weeks after I bought it brand new, some arse-hat hit it in the parking lot of my apartment building. They took out the front driver's-side fender and bumper. My car was repaired at the dealership, and life moved on. I checked with my apartment building, and of course they have no cameras covering the parking lot. And, of course, no note was left.

Well, this morning, I found damage to the driver's side rear quarter panel. It is a clear hit from a metal truck/van bumper, painted white. This is the exact same type of damage from the first time, but the damage is not as severe. Again, no note....not that I had any expectation of finding any.

I am from Michigan, we are "car people". I take very good care of my vehicle. I park far, faaar out in parking lots, find places to park away from everyone else, do everything in my power to ensure that my car does not get damaged. If I want to shop at a particular place, and I cannot find a safe place to park my car, I go somewhere else. Every time I head to my vehicle, I do a circle around my car looking for damage while it was parked.

I am beyond furious. Most here will say "it's just a car", and "that's what insurance is for", but the car is never the same (the re-paint jobs are not as good as the factory), and there's always the possibility of my rates going up (they did not after the first time my car was hit). Not to mention the deductible money this will cost me (again).

Is there any way my insurance company can put pressure on the owners of my apartment building to install cameras in the parking lot? Wouldn't it be in the best interests of the insurance companies to pressure the building's owners to help them hold these pricks accountable and responsible?

FYI: The damage looks very similar to the damage from the first time my car was hit, while parked in almost the exact same spot. I have a sneaking suspicion that the culprit is the tow-truck company's vehicle that has been hired by the building management to tow-away any vehicle that doesn't have the apartment building's parking sticker.

2. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

3. WarCry

WarCry

Unless the laws have changed, Michigan auto insurance is "no fault" (which also explains why your rates are astronomical, too). If you came out and the guy was standing there and gave you a business card with his name, address, etc, and said "Dude, look at that! I REALLY f'd up your car!!!" and then laughed at you and drove off, you would be in exactly the same position you are now.

It sucks that it happened - twice, even! - but there's not a damn thing to be done about it.

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Wouldn't it make more sense for your insurance company to require that you install cameras on your car? That way they could hold the pricks accountable and responsible wherever you were when you got hit.

:upeyes:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  5. Naelbis

Naelbis

Find an apartment complex tht provides garages...or buy a house? Or you can always buy your own camera system and convince the property manager to let you install them.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Hard to put pressure on someone that you have no relationship with; business, legal, nor personal.

7. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm in Northern Virginia, not Michigan. I do not think Virginia is "no fault" like Michigan. And if they drove off in front of me, I'd have their license plate number, and they would face hit & run charges, plus I would pay no deductable.

The point is that I've been hit twice in the same place....my apartments parking lot. It's a real problem, I'm not the only one that has had their vehicle damaged while parked in the lat.

Not ro be too rude, but I'll do anything of the above you mentioned, that you want to pay for. So, unless you want to pay for it, how about sticking to the topic at hand?

Business is the point. I am not the only insurance claim the companies are paying on, that are occuring in this parking lot. I would imagine, from a business point of view, that the insurance companies would want to hold the correct parties responsible, and not keep shelling out themselves for claim after claim because they can't prove who damaged the vehicles.

8. WarCry

WarCry

My fault. I was reading your post and saw the "I am from Michigan" line....

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

The way you put pressure on the owners is to move out unless they install the camera. Insurance company has no leverage.

What are the ins companies going to do - sue the complex owner? For what damages?

10. jpa

jpa CLM

Trashy people live in apartments because they don't have the credit or the cash to buy a house. If you live among the trash, expect to get dirty. They don't give a damn about their own property, what makes you think they would care about yours?

Your insurance company has no relationship with your landlord and if I were the landlord contacted by your insurance company I would hang up before they finished identifying themselves. If you want cameras up, put one inside your window or something. I'm sure your lease has some wording in it to the effect of "park at your own risk" and there are probably signs at the entrance to the complex.

Maybe you should stop throwing so much money down the toilet buying and insuring brand new cars and instead save up for a down payment on a house. Housing is cheap now, buy if you can.

11. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I've read some pontificating from high-horses before, but yours ranks right up near the top.

I will not bore you with explaining my situation, but if you are operating under the mistaken belief that housing is in any way, shape or form "cheap" in this area......well, ignorance is obviously bliss.

12. dango

dango

You might consider a small camera. Odds are against you though. As soon as you are ready , that's when nothing happens.

I hope you catch his ass , I love nice cars and that is a shame.

13. WarCry

WarCry

Congratulations. You are an idiot.

14. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

That's just not how insurance companies operate. Trying to catch someone who's banging into cars in one lot... so far below their threshold, it's not even funny.

If they decided they cared, they'd just refuse coverage to anyone living at that address, and be done with it.

You either need to learn to live with it, work with your building, or take action yourself.

I'm not giving you a hard time - having your car ripped up really sucks. But you're totally barking up the wrong tree in terms of your insurance hassling your apartment management. There's no reason they'd make the call, there's no reason the apartment managers would take the call, and even if they did talk, there's no reason the apartment managers would take action based on their call.

15. jpa

jpa CLM

Housing isn't gonna get any cheaper if you're paying $500/mo for a car and then another $200/mo to insure it full coverage to protect someone else's asset (the bank's). Must be nice to have the nicest car in an apartment complex parking lot.

Hit a nerve?

16. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Oh, and FWIW, I lived in Arlington for a couple years, Rosslyn and then halfway between Roslyn and Clarendon.

I've never had my car broken into and hit as much as in the 'secured' garage of my very nice apartment building there. IMHO, between the way people drive there, uninsured motorists, car prowls, beat up roads, it's not a great place to own/operate a vehicle that you want flawless. Cars there are going to get beat on, one way or another - on the road, in parking lots, anywhere other than your own secure garage.

17. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

If you think it is the towing service doing it, go to them and check out their trucks for signs of paint from your car. Also, check with them or the management and see if you can get a list of when cars have been towed recently or ask your neighbors if they have seen the towing company around. If you can determine they have been around, maybe you can prove it was them.

18. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Insurance companies put pressure on their insurers to take steps to reduce the risk and exposure. This means encouraging drivers to park in private garages; things like that - if you leave your car in a parking lot every night you are going to have problems.

19. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Dude, sorry to hear. If I had a "sports car", I'd have the same mentality.

I drive a quad-cab Chevy truck. I jackknifed my trailer into the driver's rear quarter panel about 2 years ago. The dent's still there.

I backed up into an Infinity in my Lowe's parking lot about a week prior to the jackknife. Minimal damage, and I was able to straighten most of that back out; however, minor damage is still there.

About a week after the jackknife, I nearly center-hit a 20" pine tree in my driveway. It's a miracle the airbags didn't deploy. Guess what, the dent is still there.

IMHO, it's just a truck. I rotate the tires and change the oil. It's been washed 3 times in it's 5 year life, and been vacuumed twice (IIRC).

It gets me to work and pulls my boats and trailer just fine.

Again, if I had a "sports car" (which I have owned in the past), then I'd be much more caring...

20. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Or they are only there for a short time where it makes no sense to buy a house, or they just moved to an area and are looking for a house, or they travel for a large company and the company has several apartments that they pay the lease on in various cities.