close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insurance Company scrweing FF!

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by nsb22, May 12, 2006.

1. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

2. faceplant

faceplant

What does the policy say? It sounds like motor vehicle insurance. If it does not cover this type of situation then there is no reason to pay. A sad reminder to all of us not to assume we are covered for bad things that happen to us. Find out before you put yourself in this situation.

3. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

I heard the story on our local news last night. The guy was pretty badly hurt and ended up in our ED (Univ. of Rochester).

Apparently the deal with Utica National is that since the firefighters are not named individually, they aren't covered. What supposedly would need to happen would be for a list of all employees to be generated and then provided to the insurance company. And then the list would need to be updated anytime anyone was hired/fired/quit. It doesn't sound so hard, but it really sounded to me like the FF in question was getting the short end of the stick.

Hopefully, he'll recover well and win his issue with the insurance co.

Lynn

4. Tvov

Tvov

My volunteer company does not have any firefighting insurance, except for burial expenses! :shocked: And that is only $1500!

Although, now I may ask to see if things have changed. The story says he is getting Worker's Compensation, so what is he looking for?

5. Lynn D

Lynn D Bullseye?

It may be that he's looking for coverage for later, when the Comp is gone. If the Comp Board decides he's "better" they may stop payment, or limit his payment for needed services. He'd then want a back up plan for payment, which would likely be this departmental policy. Although the $10000 wouldn't go too far with today's medical billing....

Lynn

6. kevin101

kevin101

Sounds to me like his deparment dropped the ball and didn't purchase the correct insurance.