close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Instruction on equipment

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by aspartz, Dec 21, 2006.

1. aspartz

aspartz

The current discord on my FD is the issue of written instruction on equipment such as our compressor/cascade. My position is that a person needs to understand how something works, rather than having a rote list of instructions. Another person actually thinks that we should have a written instruction set on the operator panel of our primary engine. Personally, I'm not doing interior work if my truck operator needs a book of instructions.

Am I nuts? Is this standard for significant equipment to have written instructions for the uneducated or poorly trained?

ARS

2. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

I would sure hope in the event of an emergency I could look out and see the FD doing something, rather than reading the manual. Call me crazy but you should know how to use your equipment BEFORE you need it, especially in something like FF/LE/EMS.

3. 4095fanatic

4095fanatic

I agree... that's the big difference between EMT-I and EMT-P. An EMT-I has the base skill down (this drug goes in the patient for this condition), but the EMT-P knows WHY the drug is given. Thus why EMT-I's have to consult for what EMT-P's have as SO's.

4. Tvov

Tvov

It may be a nice idea, but I find it hard to believe that someone allowed to operate equipment at an incident would need to read written operating instructions, at the incident. I can understand having some "reminders" here and there, but full instructions? Possibly the suggestion should be made (carefully, of course!) that anyone who doesn't not know how to operate equipment should drill with it?

This may also be someone wanting to find a job to do at the firehouse? You don't want to discourage that, maybe find something else for them to do to help out.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Best solution is to drill drill drill

Then later, drill some more.

That being said, after 16 years of filling SCBA bottles, I had an "excess pressure" incident at a burn building for a class last year. (Put 3k in a 2200 bottle.) I had asked if it was a "30", meaning a "thirty hundred PSI bottle". She had said yes, Because it was a THIRTY MINUTE BOTTLE. Fast lesson? READ THE FREAKING LABEL BEFORE you crack the fill line open......

Scott

6. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

Firemen are capable of breaking an anvil. We are also stupid. Therefor, over-engineer things and then make them idiot proof.

Quick reference info is nice. We have cards made for trauma and cardiac alert criteria, as well as our apartment complex layouts.

Instructions also eliminate excuses.....