close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Installing Windows XP Home Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Toyman

Toyman

So I'm trying to install Windows XP Home Upgrade on a one of my extra machines. The C: drive is freshly formatted. It appears as though you can't boot from the XP Home CD, my XP Pro CD (FULL) will boot, but not the XP Home CD, so I know it's not a hardware issue.

I booted from a Win98 floppy with CD support, but I can't access the XP home CD, Pro CD yes. What's up with that? Is it possible, or is it the Joliet file system on the cd making only accessable from an installed 9x system?

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sounds like that disk is b0rked.

The ONLY diff between XP Home and XP Home Upgrade is that the upgrade halts until you show it your W98/ME disk. It is the full version with that one licensing variance.

Hopefully you can RMA that thing if a hot-water wash doesn't help...

GL!

3. Toyman

Toyman

That's what I thought, I figured I would just be able to point it to the 98 CD. I ended up installing 98 and then XP. It worked fine, so I guess the CD is ok.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

That is phreaky...

I have installed it about three thousand times; I always suggest it to my clients so they don't pay $200 for the OS.

And even when there is a valid, bootable Win98 install in residence, it has always prompted me for the Win98 disk. Every single time.

And I never, EVER install XP to a FAT32-formatted disk...that seems to cause loads of problems that don't occur when it is on its native NTFS file system.

The only times I have seen XP fail to install it has been because the HDD's file tables are scrambled, as by a bad Linux install or whatever.

Autoclave fro the Ultimate Boot Disk, set to three passes, fixes that happy crap right now.

So if you did one of those weak 'upgrade installs' onto a FAT32 partition, you might want to save yourself some work and migrate the OS to NTFS before you put too much on it.

Have fun!!