Installing OEM Glock Night Sights

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Dyvim, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Dyvim

Dyvim Guest

I bought some OEM Glock night sights for my G23 and wanted to get them installed.
    I have both Glock tools to install them but am having a little trouble. Installing the rear sight was a breeze, however the front sight is where the problem lies.

Now at the time I first got them I didn't have the front staking tool for the sight. I took my Glock and the front sight to several shops around town and noone had the tools to install it, the one place that did have the tool it was broken and they couldn't do it for me.

I bought the Glock OEM staking tool and decided to finish doing the job myself but have run into a problem like I said. The sight sits real loose in the hole on the slide, so loose I can just place it in the hole with ease, however I turn the slide over and the sight drops right out.

Now the instructions say to use Loctite #648 to fill the gap around the sight base, I have this and did as instructed and clamped down the staking tool as well like it says but the front sight does not seat tight at all. It sits fingertip snug in the slide hole and I can still push the sight out with enough pressure from my fingers and even easier with a punch. The Loctite did not fill the gap or bond it to the slide like it's supposed to, I can still wiggle the sight around in the slide after it's been staked.

The only thing I managed to do was strip out the staking tool from tightening it down as far as it goes as the screw isn't long enough to tighten it down on the sight all the way it appears. I'm going to have to use a tap and die on the staking tool before I use it again now.

Is there an armorers trick to installing these sights on a Glock? I've installed these type of sights on some of my other handguns in the past but never ran into this issue before.

I know someone is going to tell me I should've bought aftermarket night sights for my Glock that require a hexnut installation, and maybe I should've for the ease of install but I like to upgrade my Glocks with as much OEM parts as possible. So that's why I opted for OEM Glock night sights.

2. ReAX222

ReAX222

I have never done that before, and I am trying to figure out what your saying.

First thing I would try is using electrical tape to hold the sight down as tight as possible. (you should be able to get a fair mount of tension with electrical tape) Then fill the hole from the inside of the slide. From there, attach how ever your supposed to.

Does that help?

3. Dyvim

Dyvim Guest

Hmm, no, I got the part about using electrical tape to put tension on the sight though but I'm a little confused on the second part.

The front sight is partially 'staked', I can press it in with my thumb so I don't need to use electrical tape for tension.
    However the problem is that I cannot get the sight staked with the tool tight/deep enough so that the base of the sight expands and seats snugly without movement so the loctite will bond to the slide and sight hole.

I'll try to get some pics if I can to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks

4. F4i

F4i Guest

Get Mepros... The front sight uses a thin hex bolt inserted from below the slide to hold it on.

5. ReAX222

ReAX222

Now I gotchya. Try cleaning the plastic with rubbing alcohol. If the loc-tite isn't sticking then there is probably an oil on the post.

6. Dyvim

Dyvim Guest

Well I did clean the sight before I tried installing it. These are steel not plastic though. It's just that the sight post does not fit snug in the slide hole, but it's like parking a bicycle in a suv spot, for a lack of better comparison.

I'm gonna try to get some pics.