close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Installing DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hogglock, Jan 20, 2006.

1. hogglock

hogglock

I'm going to be installing a DVD burner in my new case. I'm going to remove my older seperate CD burner, and DVD rom player and use the new drive as the only optical drive. The reason for this is that the old drives have plastic trim pieces on them that stick way out, and are curved to match the old case, and they won't come off, so with these drives installed, I can't close the door on the new case.

I Plan to set the new burner as master.
    My question is should I uninstall the old drives in device manager, or can I get away with just disabeling them and removing them from the case.
    My thinking is that if I just disable them, if the new burner dies, I can always just put the old drives back in and "reenable them".
    Will XP become confused if I do this?

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

You should be able to just unplug the old ones and add the new one.

3. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

Washington,D.C. is correct the device manager will update it self when you turn the computer on after adding and removing your drives.

I have never had to access the device manager when removing or installing any type of optical drive.

4. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

yes. uninstall em. don't 'disable' em.

and uninstall anything, ever, by default, that you are about to remove.

show all devices ( even previously removed/shaded ones) in that menu.

(you'll need to check a block to do that)

uninstall what ain't there.

this is 'clearing the deck' .. sort of like cleaning out the ashtrays.

believe what you want.. but tidying as you go isn't wrong. i can't predict when windows will crash, or why. i can promise the tidyier you keep things, the longer it takes before it happens.

delete unneeded programs. uninstall unneeded hardware (most especially any old USB devices, like scanners & webcams no longer used) .. and dump cached offline files & cookies..

and defrag. OFTEN. keep the junk off the books. at the very least, it'll simplify troubleshooting later.

don't set the DVD burner as master. if you ever want 2 hard drives, you want THEM both master.

that is my opinion, i have good reasons, you may have better ones to do it your way.

the 'best way' is one hard drive master, one burner slave (same IDE channel) if you're all IDE on drives. then the 2nd hard drive on 2nd IDE channel as master.. and if 2nd optical or 3rd hard drive, make it 2nd channel slave.

IMO. but i have six of em sitting here in that config and i wouldn't if it didn't work.

5. pyblood

pyblood

Can you please elaborate more on this? I have always heard not to put optical drives and hard drives on the same IDE channel. If my memory serves me correctly, they say that it can create a bottleneck. Most optical drives are either ATA33 or ATA66. Most HDs are either ATA100 or ATA133. By placing an HD on the same channel as a optical drive you could create a bottleneck, and the HD won’t perform to its fullest capabilities. I have no hard data to back this up, so it could just be an IT rumor.

Just as rule of thumb I always put hard drives on the 1st IDE channel and optical drives on the 2nd IDE channel.
    When I use SATA hard drives, I usually put the optical drives on the 1st channel. If I am using both SATA and IDE drives, I’ll put the IDE HDs on the 1st channel and the optical drives on the 2nd channel. I don’t think that it makes much difference if the optical drives are on the 1 or the 2nd channel. I just prefer that they be on the 2nd.