·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Starter punch.

Reactions: Joshhtn and pgg00

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
What the others said. Also have the lower in a vice (using the block). I will also put a small pin or punch through the bolt catch holes to hold it in place while i drive the roll pin in. As the roll pin goes in it will drive that other one out

·
Premium Member
42,346 Posts
I use a starter punch.
Tape the HELL out of the receiver, scratches disputing a build suck.
I install a small Allen wrench through the hole, allowing it to align and retain the bolt catch in position.

Tap the roll pin in gently and check to ensure the bolt catch is still aligned often.
Use the roll pin to push the Allen wrench from the hole.

·
Semper Paratus
29,312 Posts
Tape and parallel Grip Pliers or vice grips is squeezes them right in

Reactions: Walk Soft

·
AAAMAD
33,894 Posts
I bought a really small C clamp.

I start the pin using a similar technique to FAA, tap it in just a touch to start it. Then install bolt catch, and use the C clamp to gently pressure it into position.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I put some of the thick clear 3M packaging tape on either side of the boss to protect the lower. I put a punch in the opposite side of the roll pin to hold the bolt catch aligned and in place. Then I use the half flat roll pin punch and a small 4oz ball peen hammer to drive the roll pin in. The half flat punch is made specifically to install the roll pin on an AR. Or you can just spring for a lower with the screw in "roll pin".

Reactions: faawrenchbndr

·
Premium Member
42,346 Posts
I just wrap some tape around the ends of a normal set of channellocks and squeeze it in. It works like a charm.

I don’t have enough coordination or patience for this method. The only time I marred up a new receiver was trying this method.

It works for many, but did not work for me.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
If you grind the teeth off smooth on the pliers you have less of a chance to do damage to the receiver.

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
I've done it twice without anything more than a hammer and roll pin punch.
It helps if you install it from the front.

As said already. It is a good idea to tape the whole damn side of the receiver.

·
NRA Life Member
13,475 Posts
As with anything you do in terms of building an AR using roll punches and a hammer...if you have to use anything more than some very light taps with the hammer you are doing something wrong. There is nothing on any AR that requires a lot of hammering....tap tap tap tap tap...should get it done regardless..

I have found first and foremost that an lower receiver action block clamped in a vice is essential to doing things like this pin. Holding your work steady is crucial.
Second...you should only need to use a little blue painters tape (or any kind really) on the receiver to the right of the pin hole assuming you are right handed. I hold the pin with a needle nose pliers making sure you start the tapered end of the pin first and use a little oil and get it started just using a small hammer and the needle nose. Once you get it started you need to use a roll pin punch to drive it home and it might take a small amount of fidgeting and positioning of the bolt catch assembly before the pin aligns--i usually drive the pin in up against it with the slightest of tension holding the assembly in and just wiggle it until the pin drops into the hole. Then tap it home. A little finesse... As I said. light taps.... tap tap tap tap... Its not hard after you've done a dozen or so... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts