Glock Talk banner

Installing Ameriglo sights on Glock

5807 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Jason D
I have fiber optic front sights and replacement rear sights for my Glock 22 and 34. First question, without a vise, any suggestions on lining up front sights? Can this be done by eye? Second question, rear sights are identical looking to factory sights, how hard would these be to install without a sight pusher?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
No need of vise for front sights - they screw in with very little play. Use tad amount of loctite or fingernail polish to set screw and eyeball. Have done this (Ameriglo sights) on 17, 19, and 22 without a problem. Have used pusher and vise for rear. Both results were fine, but cannot see doing installation without a vise of some sort if not using a pusher. Either way, eye balling was used exclusively.

· Brass picker
715 Posts
No need of vise for front sights - they screw in with very little play. Use tad amount of loctite or fingernail polish to set screw and eyeball. Have done this (Ameriglo sights) on 17, 19, and 22 without a problem. Have used pusher and vise for rear. Both results were fine, but cannot see doing installation without a vise of some sort if not using a pusher. Either way, eye balling was used exclusively.
I have a little sight vise I bought years ago and have done 8-10 sets off sights. I don't think you can do this without the sight vice tool. A brass punch and a hammer are going to damage something before you are done. Installing sights at a gunsmith will cost about half of the cost of a sight vise.

· Registered
121 Posts
Didn't use brass punch. Used a wooden dowel in a padded vise for the rear. Just as simple and quick as the pusher.

· Registered
7,556 Posts
I have fiber optic front sights and replacement rear sights for my Glock 22 and 34. First question, without a vise, any suggestions on lining up front sights? Can this be done by eye? Second question, rear sights are identical looking to factory sights, how hard would these be to install without a sight pusher?
Check out some youtube videos for installing your sights. Watch several as you can pick up a few pointers here and there to greatly assist in not damaging your sights on the installation. That rear sight, can't see any other way to do it without either a pusher or a vice. Also with both you may need to have a sanding block or sharpening stone to shave down part of the base of the rear sight to get a fit that snugs into place. The factory leaves them a bit over sized to accommodate a range of tolerances that have been cut in your slide.

· INFRINGED
41,924 Posts
I used a padded nylon punch to install night sights on a 17.
It worked and luckily I didn't harm the vials, but yeah the pusher is the way to go for a night sight. With normal steel sights you can use whatever you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.