Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Insight Procyon XTi discontinued?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Richie3000, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Richie3000

I've done a bit of research (thanks Glock Talk!) and narrowed my choice in tactical lights down to the Procyon Xti (for Glock 23). Seems like the best combo of size, features, and price for me.

Luckily I found one at a decent price ($120 @ Black Bear Sporting Goods) but the impression I got from surfing around was that these were discontinued.

Have these been discontinued, and if so, why? Seems to have gotten enough praise, seems odd they'd stop producing it.

Anyone heard anything?
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Flipz

It has been upgraded to a new model, the WX150. The WX150 looks exactly like the Procyon (and is the same size) but adds more lumens (150) and a little bit of increased running time.

I currently own a WX150 and I love it. Great Tac light that I highly recommend.

3. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I think Flipz is right.

OEMs aren't always forthcoming about discontinued models.

SureFire sure didn't announce the discontinued X200 A & B, that anybody noticed anyway; the models just dropped off their website and the X300 appeared.

It's easy for an OEM to over-assort their line up, and actually hurt overall sales in the long run. As a sales rep, I routinely won space in competitor's stores by pointing out how over-assorted their line-up was. Better to delete their "dogs", and carry two top manufacturer's best sellers!

Not that closeouts or discontinued models are always a bad thing. I'd rate the X200B a little better than the new X300 for dedicated indoor use, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the X200A was a tad better than the X300 at dedicated outdoor use.

Still, the notion that a better all-around performer, like the X300, would simplify merchandising, cut internal costs, and outsell the other two lights doesn't surprise me either. With today's low margins, retailers and vendors need SKUs that move off the shelves, and hopefully sell-through before the invoice is due.

Keep in mind, in this kind of business with today's technology, the newer and better model is not far behind the current inventory!