Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask a question about my new Glock 19 Gen5 FS pistol. I just got it yesterday and gave it a cleaning and lube today. I noticed that inside the slide rails, there appears to be a perfectly thin uniform line inside the slide's grooves that looks copper colored.

I have heard all about the Glock copper anti-friction compound that comes from the factory on new Glock pistols. Well, this looks different to me. I tried to clean it with a Q-tip and CLP and also a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol. It didn't come off at all. It does not look like copper lubricant. Rather, it looks as if the slide rail grooves have copper underneath the black finish/coating. It is very very thin, and looks like a thin line the entire length of the slide rail's grooves on each side. Is this normal? Also, is it copper metal that is underneath the black finish?

I appreciate any info regrading if this is normal, and what exactly it is. Again, this seems not to be a lube or compound as it didn't come off. Also, it looks uniformly thin and very straight that goes the whole length of each side of the slide's rails/grooves. Thanks again for any assistance with this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's to help break-in the rails. Leave it in for at least the first shooting.
I will leave it in because it seems that it will not come off. When I tried to remove it, it didn't budge. It really looks like it's copper underneath the slide's rail grooves. It is hard to imagine that it is a factory copper lube because it is so perfectly thin and even the entire length of the slide rails. It looks way too thin to be a lube.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
They (Glock) says to leave in there. But I clean my guns before I shoot them. Either way its there for lubrication/break in. Normal to have it there for all Glocks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They (Glock) says to leave in there. But I clean my guns before I shoot them. Either way its there for lubrication/break in. Normal to have it there for all Glocks.
Thanks for the reply. Well, I guess Glock has a way of putting that lubricant in that looks perfectly thin and uniform on both side of the slide's rails. I would swear it looks like copper underneath the black coating. But, if it's positively lubricant, then I will leave it alone.

·
Registered
940 Posts
To get it cleaned out, use a gun cleaning brush, looks like a toothbrush but really stiff bristles, and Hoppes #9 solvent, or some of that Gun Scrubber, and scrub inside the grooves. It will come out eventually. And since you removed most of it at this point, use some oil or grease in those grooves before you shoot.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It’s the grease that Glock uses from the facet. Just run a few rounds and it melts and goes away. . The heat will break it down. That was gone on my 43x within 40-50 rounds the first day i shot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
It's nothing more than Loctite C5A anti-seize compound. Glock puts it there for long term storage, since they don't know how long the pistols will sit in the case after manufacture. Depending on who you ask at Glock, it's OK to leave it, and it's OK to remove it before shooting.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
RTFM... read the manual! Glock says leave it in, and let it wear away. Glock also says to clean your gun before shooting it the first time.

But don't get so carried away as to remove the copper grease. Let it wear away!

·
Controller
2,622 Posts
It’s because your q-tip doesn’t reach all the way into the rail...scrub the rails with a toothbrush and some clip...it will come out

·
NRA Life Member
66,528 Posts
I wanted to ask a question about my new Glock 19 Gen5 FS pistol. I just got it yesterday and gave it a cleaning and lube today. I noticed that inside the slide rails, there appears to be a perfectly thin uniform line inside the slide's grooves that looks copper colored.

I have heard all about the Glock copper anti-friction compound that comes from the factory on new Glock pistols. Well, this looks different to me. I tried to clean it with a Q-tip and CLP and also a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol. It didn't come off at all. It does not look like copper lubricant. Rather, it looks as if the slide rail grooves have copper underneath the black finish/coating. It is very very thin, and looks like a thin line the entire length of the slide rail's grooves on each side. Is this normal? Also, is it copper metal that is underneath the black finish?

I appreciate any info regrading if this is normal, and what exactly it is. Again, this seems not to be a lube or compound as it didn't come off. Also, it looks uniformly thin and very straight that goes the whole length of each side of the slide's rails/grooves. Thanks again for any assistance with this.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The reason it looks so uniform is because the slide has run back and forth over the rails a few hundred times in exactly the same way.

As to the pre- shooting clean and lube of a Glock, it’s not like the cleaning you would do after shooting. I field strip, lightly wipe off the surface, wipe off the outside of the barrel, and run a dry patch through the barrel. One drop of lube on the four frame rails, barrel, and barrel hood and lugs. I try not to disturb the copper stuff before the first shooting, nor make any special effort to remove it post shooting;it eventually goes away.

·
MacGyver
7,598 Posts
It won't hurt to keep it on, or clean it out, and yes it is normal..if you shoot it enough, or clean it enough, it will disappear. Many tremendous people will want to get into the "nitty gritty" debates and lectures, about the magic "copper" Glock grease.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's just copper anti-seize. The factory uses it in case of long term storage. No harm in leaving it or removing it.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I agree it looks like its under the finish, but its not. Its just an illusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts