Insane ammo prices from this weekend's gun show

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Scott1970, Sep 21, 2020.

1. 835mag

835mag

Walked into a gun shop yesterday just to look around. They had a pretty good supply of used handguns, probably because they were asking new price for them. Then I noticed one box (1k) of winchester small pistol primers on the counter priced at $124.99. I turned and walked out.

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

I'm sitting on about 2500 rounds of factory 9mm left over from 12+ years ago (before I started making my own). My cost back then was roughly $6/box. I'm seeing completed auctions on gunbroker for $600-$700/1000 + shipping. I don't really want to deal with shipping ammo (AFAIK, I pretty much have to either go to an actual UPS depot or pay extra for them to pick it up), but that's where the crazy bidders are.

3. Scott1970

Scott1970

For a while now we had been getting fifty rounds of practice ammo every month at work. I make my own, so I've been stockpiling the factory stuff. Maybe I'll hang onto all of it until I retire and wait for a good post retirement panic. It could be a good way to supplement my pension.

nitesit(+ an e) likes this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Has anybody seen what kind of crazy prices people are getting on .22 LR? There's a gun show coming up and I have loads of various brands of .22 LR, including some I don't shoot because the accuracy or reliability isn't up to par.

I could see packing that around the gun show until it's gone. Along with a bunch of .357 and .38 that I never shoot, ammo for calibers I don't even own, and maybe a few hundred rounds of my 5.56.

It would be cool to go to a show with ammo I don't really need and come out with a new gun instead.

5. CBennett

CBennett

Lol i was going through ammo and I found 2 cases of 5.56 and 1.5 of 9MM I didnt even know I had ;) WIN!!!!

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If the feds announce a "buy back" you don't get to decide what to charge. They tell you what they will pay and if you have enough money and a lawyer you can go to court and try to negotiate it. That's pretty much how government "takings" work for anything. The constitution says, to take anything of yours the government has to give you "just compensation" as decided by the government. I would look for their starting point to be based on some crazy average of prices for "rifles" unless they are challenged and lose.

7. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I sold some online the last time ammo jumped up. It's really not that big of a deal to go to the depot and ship it

8. ShipWreck

I just looked on Gunbroker. CCI Minimags... If you look around, you can find them for around $10 a pack (plus shipping), if you buy 5. Not that high. Some are higher - $13 each... But, if you look, you can find them for $10 each...

Years ago, Minimags were selling for over $20 a pack. So, we're not that high now.

Now, other caliber prices are obscene

9. CBennett

CBennett

Yup that was a GIANT part of how Aussies(and im guessing Brits though I dont know exactly HOW that was done) guys would bring in a gun that was WORTH $3000 and the Govt would give them the same(i also dont know the number) but it was substantially LESS than many firearms were actually worth. So the Govt will decide all guns are "worth" $500 doesnt matter that its worth $1000 or you have $1200 into it...here is your $500!

10. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Now I don’t feel bad just ordering some Underwood .458 Socom rounds at $1.80/rd. Hard to be believe that a single 9mm round is going for about that now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Scott1970

Scott1970

Along the lines of ammo and insanity, I loaded 550 rounds of 9mm and 450 rounds of .45 acp today during some downtime. I cast my own bullets from free lead, I used free brass, the primers were purchased eleven years ago, and I buy my powder in eight pound jugs. Insanely cheap.

[​IMG]

12. Terry G

Terry G

Look to your Makarov's and CZ 82's.

13. collim1

collim1

I got an email notification from MidwayUSA this afternoon about some .223 projectiles coming back in stock. I was on their website within minutes of getting the email and they were sold out already.

Not even a great price, but I was going to buy them. I’ve enjoyed reloading 223 lately. I wasn’t saving enough to make it worth the effort a year ago, but now it’s quite rewarding.

14. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

Hopefully Trump will be re-elected. If not, things will only get worse.

15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

So, you’re saying the blindfold happy stick mag dump is not valid as “training”?

16. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I'm saying that if you're freaking out about ammo prices, use what you have to perfect your technique. You'll tend to shoot a little slower, shoot less rounds, and hit more.

17. njl

njl Crusty Member

The minimags I have, back when I bought them, were sub $4 per box :(

18. ShipWreck

They are $7 or $8 at the store now, before all the covid started

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So, 100% serious here: Yesterday I went and looked through my ammo and found I have plenty to spare at the next gun show, so what kind of prices are people getting for:

20-round boxes of 5.56, like American Eagle and such?
    50-round boxes of .40 S&W Gold Dot hollowpoints
    Winchester and American Eagle .40 S&W FMJ
    100 round box of Browning BPT 9mm
    100 round boxes of Remington .38 spl. +P hollowpoints
    50 round boxes of Remington .357 Mag 125 gr. sjhp
    5 round boxes of Federal Law Enforcement 00 buckshot and slugs
    500 round brick of Federal Gold Medal HV Match .22 LR
    525 round pack of Remington .22 LR plated hollowpoints

I even have things like .45 Colt that I don't have a gun for and .44 spl. that I've never fired in my life.

And no, I'm not hinting that I want to sell on GT, or else I'd list it in classified. There's a National Gun Day show in Louisville in 2 weeks, so I'm going to load it up in a backpack and head to Louisville. Might even sell one of my regular carry Glocks if the price is right.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  20. Scott1970

Scott1970

If you want to really cash out, and you have a good amount, I'd suggest buying a table and listing prices in line with the prices I posted at the beginning of this thread. Of course, the defense rounds will bring a big premium. Also, I'd surf gunbroker to see what this stuff is actually selling for. Go high, because someone will buy it.