Input needed from 23C owners

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by muad, Feb 11, 2010.

1. muad

muad Lifetime Member

I'm going to be getting a 23 as my next Glock, and I really like the look of the 23C, and the added control it offers during rapid fire.

A guy whom I respect, but just met, suggested not to get the 23C due to the flash from the compensators at night, which can block your view of the target or BG.

How bad is this? Would you recommend the same? The G23 will be a carry piece on occasion, as my G30 is my main carry.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Zero issues from the 22/23c's. Not from sight blackening, not from flashes at night, not from firing from retention. None whatsoever. For those that have never qualified or shot a course of fire with one, some of those rumors would be logical and attractive. In reality, the 23c is fine for ccw, for duty use, for firing from retention, for night use, etc.

3. muad

muad Lifetime Member

Thanks Bill, this is what I Wanted to hear.

I'm still appreciative of the guys advice, as he has been super helpful with info on IWB holsters. I just wanted to get more input on the subject before I make my purchase.

Buying the C model just because I think it looks better, is not something I would do. I like to do as much research, and get as many opinions as possible.

4. k-lo

k-lo

The ports direct the flash in a V pattern away from your direct line of sight. The flash isn't that bad. Also some ammo has less flash than others. I'm not bothered by it. I shoot in the desert at night and haven't really experienced being blinded by it.

This subject has been discussed here before. BTW most of the people that say C models are not good for low light etc.. haven't really shot one in those conditions and just based it on "i heard or read it from somewhere".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Could not agree more!!... Loved my 23c!! Wished I had never sold it:crying:

6. curator

curator

I've no direct experience with C models, but posts here seem to have pretty thoroughly debunked the night vision muzzle flash concern. The one concern I'd have would be the firing from close retention if you don't cant the pistol to the outside (e.g., rotate ~45 degrees clockwise if firing from the hip immediately after the draw and rotation). Does seem like you could get some pretty nasty powder burns from the inside compensator port. Can anyone speak to this from experience?

7. Milesmaster

Milesmaster

8. Alexpag

Alexpag

I recently shot my G17C at night. No problem at all. A guy behind me who was watching my shooting told me 'dude your flame is huge' but wasn't noticeable at my eyes while I was firing the gun.

9. Bello

Bello America/Italia

same as me. i have shot mine at night when i lived in virginia and my wife was directly behind me yes u notice a lil flash but you still can see and shoot my wife was like wow the flames were so huge.. but everytime i shot it i dont recall a monster flame, all tho i do tell you its hella louder then a non compensated glock, i hate when i go to the range and its all quiet and i start to shoot and my 19c is loud as hell i hate onlookers

10. muad

muad Lifetime Member

Hmm, this is something I never though of.

Thanks for the input.

11. theNAST1EST

theNAST1EST

LOVE LOVE LOVE my 22C

As soon as you see the flames, there will be a grin plastered on your face. But def wear your hearing protection!..sucker is LOUD!

12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Not a problem.

'Bad' things do happen though.......stuff does come out of the ports that can burn or stick, the sound of the shooting seems louder due the direction it moves in, and projectile velocity decreases.

None of this is any too serious in nature, but should be considered.

Wear fire resistant clothes......

13. muad

muad Lifetime Member

Butch, does this decrease in velocity affect stopping power? Or is is minimal, like less than 100f/s?

Also, about wearing FR clothes, If i'm carrying on a day to day basis, this is not something I will always be able to do. I don't think that's a feature offered by American Eagle, LOL

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  14. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

No fire resistant clothes necessary in real life, unless you're shooting tracers or huffing gasoline. With any mainstream ammo, duty or range, zero problems with blast, even from (CAR) firing from retention where the ports were right under my chin, no night blindness, etc. If you will be shooting the gun in an internet chatroom/bulletin board, don't get a C model. If all you are going to use it for is real life ccw or duty, C is good to go.

15. k9medic

k9medic

If you really need it, getting burned by the muzzle blast will be the least of your problems.

I carried a 23C for several years, and wound up trading it in. I just bought another 23 but couldn't find a C for the right price.

16. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I carry a G32C and have experienced none of the horror stories. You get a large muzzle flash with or without a compensator, depending on your loads. I practice out of holster drills often, and even in the closest contacts off hip, I've never been burned. My time back on target is substantially faster, especially with the hot .357 Sig loads. I'd recommend it if it fits your needs.

17. rd3

rd3

love my 23c, only shot it at night once, I was really surprised at how little I noticed the flash and didn't take my eyes off the target, but like others said the folks behind you can see it a lot more

18. Butch

Well certainly it does.....if you believe handguns produce such a thing in the first place. The good part is that it is minimal.....resulting velocity would be similar to what one gets from shooting a G27.

Fortunately most clothing does not tend to ignite easily, at least not in the flash of fire that results from the muzzle of most pistols.

19. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

:rofl:

20. Butch

You're awfully sure of your facts......

Many years ago, prior to making the switch from our .38 revolvers to G17's, we had a night shoot, and one part of the course featured shooting from the retention position.

One of the guys on my shift returned to the station with a fist sized hole in the right front of his uniform shirt......made by the fire that resulted from firing his .38 just a touch too close to his belly.....you know what a cylinder gap is, right?

Turns out that the synthetic material his uniform shirt was made of wasn't too difficult to ignite. Luckily he was able to put it out before his cotton T-shirt started to burn, and he just got his belly warmed up a little.

I readily agree that the flame coming out of the Glock porting isn't likely to burn anything, but to simply state like it's a fact that it won't happen? I'm not prepared to do that.

Yeah, we got rid of those shirts. :)