Innova is great food!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by David9966, May 28, 2007.

1. 10mm4ME!

10mm4ME! Guest

I just recently learned how poorly I had been feeding my pets here too. We just switched both our Chihuahua's to Canidae and our cats to Felidae.

Sorry I was being awfully dramatic about Beneful's toxicity.

After I had learned to read labels a little better I began to read all dog food labels everywhere I found them. When I finally read what was in Beneful I was pretty shocked. It is some bad juju.

The piss-poor quality of their food and their incessant advertising has started to get under my skin and I have taken to bad-mouthing their product whenever I can.

2. yunone

yunone

my local pooch place didnt have innova, but did stock many varieties of canidae and thats what i went with

the young lady at the counter was so awesome, and so full of info and gave us samples of food and treats..

i went 50/50 with the canidae and beneful..at least for a week she said to help the transition to the new food

she also had great things to say about variety and using raw foods to feed my doggy...
    she advised it was ok to switch from different types of raw food or different types of dry foods to help spread the advantages of different types of meat proteins and what not..i am sure i am missing half of what she said to me, but what i did glean from was some great advice in my opinion and you can tell she cared about animals and talked highly of how she fed her pooches....

i am going to go with the canidae and see how that does and introduce some more wet food into my dogs diet...i subscribed to the one food for life philosophy for my dog till today. it made sense to offer variety of cuisine to my dog....

he just pounded through the new 50/50 mix so i think the canidae is a success...yea

thanks again for the assistance

here is a pic of my pooch..his name is milo and he is such a cute bugger

http://norcalttora.com/~anthony/Milo/photos/photo54.jpg

http://norcalttora.com/~anthony/Milo/photos/photo31.jpg

3. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Awwwwww, Milo is adorable!!! I hope he LOVES Canidae. I call it "crack for dogs." hehe When I switched them to Canidae, they hoovered it. They love that stuff. This stuff is like caviar compared to Beneful! I'm so glad to hear that the lady at the store was helpful. Sometimes they seem so annoyed to be working, that I don't even bother to ask them questions. I need to post pics of my babies.
    Let us know how it goes!! Give Milo a treat for me!

Rebecca

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Yay! another dog off crap food. I'm glad these threads are making a diffrence.

5. yunone

yunone

as far as i can see he is loving the fifty fifty combo i am giving him....he scarfed it down this morning with no hesitation..he is loving the treat samples the lady gave us....

i am hoping to see an improvement in his demeanor over the next few weeks and that will always make me happier.. happy dog=happy owner

pics pics pics

we need pooch pics :)

6. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I don't know much about Innova or Canidae but have heard they are good. That being said, I feed my two German Shepherds a natural diet consisting of raw chicken (pretty much broiler chickens from Costco) along with a veggie slop concoction that I make in the blender that includes - among many things - carrots, celery, mackerel, chicken liver, pork shoulder, alfalfa powder, olive oil, raw eggs with shells, apples, and whatever else I might have in the kitchen. The veggie slop accounts for 25% of their diet and the raw meat and bones is 75% of their diet.

Check out these links on the quality of commercial kibble, and be prepared to be sick.

http://www.newstarget.com/012647.html
    http://www.homevet.com/petcare/foodbook.html

7. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Thanks for the info Turbo! I work with two ladies who breed and show dogs and they also include eggs with the shells, raw meats, etc etc in their dogs' diets. If a dog eats kibble alone, it's like a human eating the same cereal three meals a day, for life! That's sad and not the healthiest diet. :(

Rebecca

8. compassman

compassman

Here is a link to my web site. This is the Link for holistic foods. These are just some of the companies we use. Our dogs have a ever changing diet, specially on what season and sport they are running. My show dog gets a different diet before shows. As for kibble we have used in the past Solid Gold, Canidae, Original Wellness Simpler Solution, Merrick and Inova. There have been a few we have been asked to try out. There has been some kibble we loved, but it was to hard to find or it was to expensive. Sometimes we use Merricks can food at races, but pain to get rid of the cans.

http://www.freewebs.com/rialtoigs/links.htm

9. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Here is the link to the company from which the two dog breeders/showers that I know get the nutritional supplements for their dogs. They just gave me a sample of them today and I will start giving them to my dogs. I've heard that they work VERY well! I'll let you know what I think!

http://www.nuvet.com/default.asp

Rebecca

10. yunone

yunone

great posts

thanks....what a great week full of good info and a happier dog

11. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Just a quick note... don't feed kibble and RMB in the same sitting. The two different foods digest at a different rate, and it is not good for Fido.

By the way, since we are talking about keeping our pets healthy, have you ever wondered why you hear so many dogs get cancer, when they have none of the vices (tobacco, alcohol, drugs) we humans have? Why doesn't the general public (and mainstream vets) ever question this? I'd put money on it being all the carcinogens that go into mainstream kibble.

Since it was mentioned earlier, here is a pic of my two girls.

[​IMG]

12. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

VERY good point Turbo! Wow, I love that we have so many knowledgable pet owners on GT. GT pets are LUCKY to have such great parents!

Rebecca:thumbsup: :banana:

13. yunone

yunone

cute babes for sure.. i love the look of a shepherd...so honest and put together

Great points Rebecca as i am so blown away what i have learned about my doggy on a gun forum...love the environment thats hear

14. Show Killer

Show Killer Boost Junkie !!

I really had no idea that i was feeding Zeua and Abby a bunch of junk. I was giving them Pedigree Complete Nutrition. I went tonight to the pet store and got some Innova Red Meat plus 10 cans of the 95% meat wet food. I mixed 3 cups of the dry and 1 can of the wet. They tore it up and absolutely loved it. They will get that as long as i can afford to buy it (i spent $89 tonight) for them, which shouldn't be a problem.

BTW --> Zeus is a 115# Rottie and Abby is a 6# Chihuahua.

Here's a few pics:
    http://www.showkiller.com/images/zeusnabby.jpg

http://www.showkiller.com/images/zeusnabby2.jpg

http://www.showkiller.com/images/zeusnabby3.jpg

15. tahqua

tahqua

After finding this thread I did some research. I have been using Pro Plan lamb and rice formula for my GWP who is 4 yrs old now. I looked at Innova and Canidae and used both sites search function. Luckily my local feed store carries both brands.
    I called them this morning and the owner gave me his opinion on these foods. He believes they are both a step up from Pro Plan. He still considers Pro Plan a good choice but he put it in third. I will give one of them a try. Probably the Canidae since they have a lamb formula.
    I am really glad I finally came to this sub-forum. Thanks for the post.

16. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Hi Tahqua!

Canidae is definitely a big step up. Innova is a specialty food. It is another step up, but it is also much more expensive. That's why most people feed Innova when their dogs have special needs. It is a richer food. I think your baby will really enjoy Canidae. Most dogs inhale it and it does not contain any ingredients that often upset dogs. Let us know how it goes! Thanks for being such a great parent!

Rebecca

17. tahqua

tahqua

Speaking of richer, I noticed the Canidae has 21% protein versus 26% for the Pro Plan. I might still go back to the Pro Plan during bird season as my GWP loses a few pounds every fall from being afield.
    I do want to stick with the lamb, though, or I would give the Innova a try as they have 24%.

18. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Guest

Hi Tahqua,

In reality, it's all about the usable calories in the food. Look at the Kkcal. I think that the Pro Plan has about 487, which is good and Canidae has around 468. Plus, if you have a hunting dog that needs a good deal of protein, I would suggest mixing chicken in with his food. Just mix in basic, boiled chiken. It's best to vary your dog's diet anyway, but your dog seems to need more protein.
    The Pro Plan food has gluten in it, and I won't feed that to my dogs. They are both sensitive to it. As soon as I switched them to the gluten-free Canidae they stopped having "soft serve" stools (sorry for the visual). Besides, that's the ingredient that was part of the latest massive pet food recall.
    I hope this helps!

Rebecca

19. tahqua

tahqua

That is good information and I will definitely consider doing that. Actually she gets plenty of meat scraps mixed in with her dry food as is when up north.
    I will pick up the Canidae this week and report back on it.
    I talked to a guy from work whose cat just died from Iams food. He said it was involved in this recent problem with pet foods. This is just another reason I want to change.
    Thanks for the help,
    Doug

20. mavrick

mavrick

I'll throw a second in there for Innova. We have four German Shepherds and a Pemmbrooke Welsh Corgi. We train too, AKC obedience, tracking and schutzhund. For what it's worth, we feed a mix of raw ( similar to what Turbo described.. raw beef, raw chicken, and veggies ) and kibble. We currently feed Califonria Natural, but if we ever had to change, Innova would be our choice.. As some else suggested.. if you do a bit of research, you'll see just how lacking and unhealthy most commerical dog food can be.. it's scary.

Anyway, Innova's a great choice.

Cheers