close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Innova is great food!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by David9966, May 28, 2007.

1. David9966

David9966 Bumpstick

When I heard about the pet food recall a couple of months back I switched my samoyed/husky cross over to Innova dry food.Had been feeding Beneful. Believe it or not I'm actually saving money! I buy the 15kg. bag for 45bucks at the pet store in town.This bag lasts her so much longer than the equivalent amount of Beneful. Plus, her coat seems healthier.She also gets my supper shared with her and this is almost always chicken and vegetables. I don't like beef except for the occasional burger witch also goes about 75%me 25%dog. Well just wanted to share my oppinion on Innova pet foods. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I switched my cat to Innova too and it loves it. Dave

2. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

I love it when people change from a crap food to a quality food. Most of the reactions are the same!

Good job on taken care of your animal.

3. 10mm4ME!

10mm4ME! Bureaucrat

Seriously, you couldn't have gone further across the pet food quality spectrum if you tried. Beneful is one step above anti-freeze.

4. compassman

compassman

We feed raw ground up rabbit, raw ground up beef with fresh vegetables, raw fish and raw whole chicken necks and breasts. They also get Aunt Jennie’s raw and honest kitchen dehydrated raw. When we are at a race and unable to feed raw we feed Innova Evo.

5. David9966

David9966 Bumpstick

Nice, I am looking for feed back on if I made the right decision, and so far all is positive. I love my pets more than anything so thanks for tellin' me I made the right choice.

6. compassman

compassman

Do you any pulling with your dog?

7. David9966

David9966 Bumpstick

Nope, but I did buy her a nice harness so that she can pull me. see, i'm partially disabled with a back injury from the Army so I made sure my dog and I could have a balance. ofcourse she is stonger than me but if I was to have her as a sled dog we'd be the fastest thing around.I do have dreams about skijouring (if thats the right way to spell it) with her but I'm lucky that I can spend 2 hours outside walking with her each day. If I was ever fully incapable of walking her I would pay someone to do it for me.My dog is my saviour and I'm blessed to be in her presence and give her the love that she deserves. Thanks for asking how strong she is though. I make sure she gives me enough excercize. Dave

8. compassman

compassman

I was discharged from the Marines with two knee injuries.

We got one of my little guys in to weight pulling. We go to the Malamute club and they were really supportive. It's incredible to watch the team work between the dog and the human. Some of my friends do both weight pulling and sled racing. They weight pull in the summer and sled in the winter. Dogs are great for healing the soul. My one dog is on his way to getting his therapy certificate and my little one when he is done showing will hopefully get his delta dog.

Your dog is beautiful and I wish you many years love and happiness.

9. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

I feed Canidae and am very happy with it. A top quality food and our dog does very well on it.

Great job switching from a very poor quality food to a top quality food.

10. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Hi there,

I, like LBTRS, feed my babies Canidae. It is a fantastic food! Good for you for caring so much for your baby!

Rebecca

11. Guod

Guod

Cheap dog food is like concealed carry with a cheap gun. It may be a cheap up front cost, but it will cost you a lot more down the line.

12. yunone

yunone

oh wow! i feel like a crappy dog owner

i feed my springer beneful and thought it was good brand..obviously i didnt do my research..

what makes beneful so bad for the dog?

what make innova so good?

thanks in advance

13. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Hi Yunone,

Below, I am going to post this handy test that helps to determine the quality of your dog food. Basically, cheap dog foods are the same as fast food. Most cheap dog foods have ingredients you can't pronounce, weird preservatives, parts of animals humans wouldn't dare to eat, etc etc. In addition, most of these foods use a ton of carbohydrates as filler, a.k.a sugar. Believe it or not, if you put a dog on a high quality food after it has been on cheap food all of its life, you will probably notice a difference in the way they act. Why? Because the cheap food gives them a constant sugar high. They will probably be more calm and they will be able to eat less of the more expensive food because the more expensive/high quality foods have more protein than the carbohydrate-filled cheaper foods, and protein keeps your dog full longer. Also, lots of dogs are sensitive to gluten, which tends to be in the cheap foods and was a part of the massive pet food recall that occurred recently. The high quality foods have vitamins, minerals, and other igredients that will actually help keep your pet healthy. I end up spending less when I buy the high quality food (I feed Canidae)because I can feed my dogs less of the higher quality food.
    I hope this helps! Don't feel bad! I fed my Chihuahua cheap food for the first few months after we got her. We have noticed a big difference since switching her to Canidae.

Rebecca

1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points

2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points

3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points

4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points

5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâ?Ts rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points

6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points

7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points

8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3points

9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 morepoints

10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points

11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points

12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points

13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnâ?Tt allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points

14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnâ?Tt allergic to beef), subtract 1 point

15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or
    nutritionist, add 5 points

3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points

5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points

6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points

7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points

8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points

9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points

10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point

11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point

12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than
    the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point

13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point

14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

94-100+ = A
    86-93 = B
    78-85 = C
    70-77 = D

69 = F

14. yunone

yunone

thank you so much

i appreciate your help

i still feel so bad.. my springer is inside for the most part and loves the water when we can get him down to the shores, but for the most part will just lay around on the bed. i wrote it off as us not being home or when we are home just being lazy ourselves... i bet its also the dog food

we had him on purina for the first couple of years and last year switched to beneful.. healthy weight

looking at the ingredients it reads as if it were a candy bar or bag of chips

thanks a million for opening my eyes and most likely adding years to my dogs life

you all mentioned innova and me not being a super techie dog person would gladly jump ship to this brand... i think that would be a resounding yes from all you correct?

once again thank you for your help and future assistance

my poor doggy :(

15. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Awwwww, no worries, you aren't a bad mommy! You are a GREAT mommy for actually caring about your dog's diet! So many people look at a dog as JUST a dog. We see it differently, and that makes a world of difference. :) Once you let a dog into your heart, you're a goner!!
    Innova is on the expensive side, but if you have just one dog that will probably work out for you. I work with two people that raise and show their dogs, and they feed Canidae. They feed Canidae because it is a high quality food that is more affordable when you have as many dogs as they have (10+ dogs). I have heard that Innova is an excellent choice. It is FAR superior to Beneful, and that's what matters! :)
    I'm glad that this thread has helped you so much!

Rebecca

16. yunone

yunone

thanks rebecca... Can i be a Daddy instead of a mommy? hehe... my wife might not agree with me changing genders on her... hehe ... just playing as i realize i am using a unisex username :)

My local pet store Sells innova and the price is not important as my dogs well being... if you love someone you will do whatever it takes to ensure their happiness

17. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

Oops! Yep, you can be a Daddy! hehe I'm thinking that the cost of a sex change would be a tad more than paying for Innova for your fur baby. hehe
    Believe me, high quality food will make a big difference. I really hope that you see an obvious difference. I noticed a big difference. It's like a human switching from eating fast food three times a day to a healthier, less processed diet. You can't help but feel and look different.
    Our pets deserve it. :) Please keep me updated on how your dog likes the food and if you notice any changes!!

Rebecca

18. yunone

yunone

19. Guod

Guod

Many say this, and I will say it again. Anything that wal-mart sells is not suitable for your dog's consumption. I cry a little inside when I see people buying "ol Roy". I think that places like Petco and Petsmart turn people off of feeding their pets quality food. For quality food at a place like petco(IMO they carry middle grade food), it will cost around $40-50 for a big bag. Whereas you can get a really high grade bag of food at a feed store for around $30(big bag).

Plus, as others have said, a lot of times you end up feeding half the quantity.

20. Lesatvv

Lesatvv Weasel

YUCK! When I see someone buying Ol' Roy I want to cry. But, like I said earlier, there are many people out there that do not have a second thought about buying their pets the cheapest, nastiest pet foods. If humans had to eat it, I'm betting they'd get the high quality food!