Inmate Escapes From Westville Prison

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by 9mm Luger, Aug 2, 2007.

1. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

Search under way for prisoner who escaped from Westville Prison
    Posted: Thursday, August 2, 2007 9:05 AM CDT
    Email this story | Print this story
    Kelvin Fuller
    WESTVILLE, Ind. (AP) - An inmate who escaped from a medium-security prison apparently stole a car from a nearby home and later attacked a bus driver, police said.

A search continued late Wednesday for Kelvin Fuller, 42, hours after he escaped from the Westville Correctional Facility east of Gary, apparently by breaking through a prison storage building and climbing a perimeter fence. He was considered dangerous.

"We're doing everything we can to try and locate this guy," said First Sgt. Glen Edmondson of the Indiana State Police post at Lowell.
    Fuller was serving time for crimes including robbery, battery, criminal confinement, burglary, arson, and escape from lawful confinement. He was first sent to the Department of Correction in 1992 and was scheduled to be released March 2, 2012.

The arson and burglary charges stemmed from a break-in and fire at gospel singer Sandi Patty's office complex in Anderson in April 1990 that caused an estimated $650,000 in damage.

Fuller was discovered missing about 9:50 a.m. CDT following an emergency head count, prison officials said. Area police and state police were alerted and a search was started.
    Prison spokeswoman Elaine Zschoche said officials believed Fuller kicked through a pole barn that abuts a fence and then scaled a perimeter fence. Officials believe he then entered a nearby home where a woman was vacuuming and didn't hear him. A 2004 Chevrolet Malibu was later reported stolen from the home.

Authorities believe Fuller then drove to Deep River Waterpark in Crown Point and robbed a bus driver of $40 while she was waiting to pick up some children. The driver, 63-year-old Jeanne Bradley of Highland, told police that a man wearing an inmate's uniform smashed her head into the bus and threatened to kill her before taking the money and speeding off in a car matching the description of the one that was reported stolen.

Bradley was treated for minor injuries at a hospital.
    Police had thought Fuller might be returning to his home in Anderson, but Zschoche said his family has relocated to Montgomery, Ala., and prison officials now suspect he is headed there.

"We anticipated that since he's from here, that he might come back," said Anderson police Detective Joel Sandefur. "He might come back, but we don't know."

From the State Police:
    The Indiana State Police and the Indiana Department of Correction are requesting the public's assistance in returning prison escapee Kelvin J. Fuller, 40, Anderson, IN, back to custody. Fuller is a black male, approximately five foot nine inches tall and weighs 175 pounds. He has short black hair, brown eyes, a mustache, and was last seen wearing a tan shirt and tan pants. He was driving a stolen white Chevrolet Malibu registered through Indiana with an “In God We Trust “plate displaying WI 7309. The Malibu has four doors and a sun roof.

The preliminary investigation by Indiana State Police Sergeant Detective Joe Gawor revealed Fuller was able to gain access to a building that was part of the perimeter fence. He then scaled the second phase of the perimeter fence. It is believed he fled on foot through a cornfield. Fuller allegedly broke into a home near the prison and stole two sets of car keys and the white Chevrolet Malibu. A female was home during the break in, but did not hear Fuller as she was cleaning around the house at the time.

Fuller has relatives in Madison County, IN and Montgomery, Alabama. If anyone sees Kelvin J. Fuller or the stolen Chevrolet Malibu they are asked to contact Indiana State Police Sergeant Detective Joe Gawor at the ISP Lowell Post at 1-219-696-6242 (toll free in Indiana at 1-800-552-8917) or their nearest law enforcement agency.
    Kelvin J. Fuller: male black with a mustache, short black hair, brown eyes, 5 foot 9 inches tall, and approximately 175 pounds. He was last seen wearing a tan shirt and pants and driving a stolen white 2004 Chevrolet Malibu sedan, with Indiana registration “In God We Trust” plate WI 7309.

http://www.rensselaerrepublican.com/articles/2007/08/02/news/news01.txt

Kind of scary being I live about 15 minutes away from the facility. Seems to me they might want to recheck the security measures in place around the prison.

Not to mention he has escaped before! And a rap sheet about a half mile long.
    http://www.in.gov/apps/indcorrectio...e=fuller&fname=Kelvin&search1.x=0&search1.y=0

2. Dyerbill

Dyerbill

Thanks for the Head's Up.
    I live 30 minutes or so from the prison.
    I pulled some extra fire power from the vault tonight.:thumbsup:

3. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

My guess is he is as far away from the prison as possible.
    But I will admit my G26 has been close at hand since this occurred. :50cal: :2gun:

4. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

+1 (but mine is a knock 'em dead .40!!!)

5. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I'm sure he's long gone from the area. My grandparents always tell me that it's safer the closer you are to the prison, if any of the "Offenders" escape they want to make it as far away from there as possible. And yes my Grandfather works at ISP, had someone escaped from there I'd be worried.

6. Revelations

Revelations Long Time Lurker

Hmmm

I live less than 30 minutes from the prison and this is the first Ive heard of it. I geuss they dont really want to broadcast alot of info about escaped prisoners to spook people.

Heard a few choppers in the air yesterday. So I geuss that explains it.

Hope the bus driver is recovering. Goes to show you something can happen to you anywhere at anytime.

7. prism

prism more ammo

8. Seven High

Seven High

I understand that this guy was arrested in Butte Montana today. They are awaiting confirmation by fingerprints. I hope that its true.

9. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

It has been confirmed. Just further proof you can run but you can't hide.

An escaped convict suspected of robbing a Fishers bank has been arrested in Montana.

The Fishers Police Department has confirmed that Kelvin Fuller, 40, was arrested in Butte, Mont. about 12:45 Wednesday morning.

Officers from the Butte-Silver Bow Law Enforcement Department took Fuller into custody without incident. He was contacted Wednesday morning during a welfare check.

The license plates on the car Fuller was driving did not match the vehicle, police said. The officer then checked the VIN number and the vehicle was reported stolen out of Indiana. It was apparently the same car Fuller is accused of stealing following his escape from the Westville Correctional Facility last week in Indiana.

Police found a BB gun and money in the car.

The Fishers Police Department is investigating his arrest to obtain more information for their investigation.

According to police, Fuller will face charges once he is returned to Indiana in connection with the Fishers robbery, which could include Class C felony robbery and Class D felony theft.

Fuller is suspected as the man who robbed a Fifth Third Bank branch in Fishers Aug. 2.

Fuller escaped from the Westville Correctional Facility the morning of Aug. 1. He was convicted out of Hancock, Marion and Madison counties for crimes including multiple counts of robbery and battery, as well as criminal confinement, burglary, arson and escape from lawful confinement.

He was first sent to the Department of Correction Jan. 3, 1992, and his projected release date from incarceration had been March 2, 2012.

The escape and Fuller’s subsequent actions prior to his apprehension are still under investigation by state, federal and local law enforcement officials, as well as the Internal Affairs Division within the Department of Correction. Extradition information is pending.

Staff report

http://www.county29.net/cms2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5269&Itemid=1

10. Revelations

Revelations Long Time Lurker

Was glad to hear they caught the guy. Can't believe he made it all the way out to Montana.

It spooked my GF when she heard about the escape. I think I finally have her convinced she should get her permit and start going to the range with me.

11. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

I'm frankly astonished that they took him alive. He seems like he's just the sort of nutbag who'd either off himself before surrendering or do it "suicide-by-cop" style.

In any event, that's one less chud we have running loose out here. :thumbsup: