Initial Report: Dan Wesson CCO 1911**PICS**

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MacG22, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

So after about 3 weeks of sourcing, I finally tracked down a "grail purchase" for myself. The Dan Wesson CCO. I'd read on dozen forums about how hard they were to find. I'd read about how only 200 were produced in the last year. And the truth was, it was hard as hell to find. Within a day or so of a CCO showing up on a source forum, they were gone. Normally before I could work out a deal. But after talking with guys like Bac, Hail Caesar, and etc I was able to narrow down what I wanted and wait for the grail instead of settling.

Basically, with the CCO you get a 1911 that has the commander frame (4.25 inches) with the officer sized compact frame (7 round). So you get all of the reliability and power of the commander frame over the 3 inch models, but the reduced grip makes it a dream to conceal.

But I finally located one at a shop in Colorado (a whole different story about the shop I bought from... some very "special" people were manning that gun store).

When I got to the shop they had three of them laid out all next to each other. It was like watching three beautiful sisters and getting to pick one of them to go home with you.

FINISH: The first thing you notice on this gun is the finish. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun. I mean, really gorgeous. And I've owned a lot over the years. The coat is the "Duty Coat" by Dan Wesson, and it's a bonded ceramic coat. It's got kind of a "wet" look. Supposed to be strong as nails, and time will tell. Beautiful.

FIT: The gun has no rattle. Zero. The slide fit is tight and everything is very compact. And yet, you can do a press check with just two fingers (impossible to do with some 1911s). I was shocked by how well it all fits but how easy all the parts still move.

The frame is an aluminum frame and the whole things weighs in at 1.5 pounds. Another pleasant surprise.

TRIGGER:
    Tested in at 3.5lbs. Really great trigger. Crisp. Match trigger. Absolutely nothing to nit pick on even if I wanted to.

SAFETY:
    I've owned a few 1911s over the years, and I've played with a few hundred more. It may be a little thing, but I want a safety that "snaps" on and off, and I want it to do it easily. Easy and decisive. Nothing that catches (a "two stage" on and off), and no mushiness. Other than a Nighthawk I shot a few years back, this is the nicest safety I've seen on a 1911. Easy and decisive to the point where it sets a standard.

GRIP:
    The grip size is ideal for carry. Fits me great. The chainlink checkering isn't my favorite, but it's not bad. It's not Springer TRP checkering (you will bleed and you will love it), but it's effective enough.

I put a crimson trace grip on it. I don't do that with all my guns for a variety of reasons, but with a slim enough 1911 I really enjoy the addition. However, this one killed me to put on... because the factory grips are a thing of beauty. Seriously. I don't know why every DW doesn't come with these. Beautiful.

BARREL:
    Match barrel. Flawless on my copy.

CARRY: I've got in a Comp-Tac minotaur. Fits very comfortably, and really disappears with a light coat at about 4 o'clock position. I'll play a bit but I'm pretty sure it will disappear with summer wear, too.

SHOOTING: Like with good wine, true love is not in the talking, but in the drinking. This gun really shines in the shooting. For the size and weight, it's deadly accurate. Consistent. Trigger is a dream. It's fun.

PRICE: I got mine for $1,350. So currently, it's my best handgun. And while I've had some nice 1911's before (TRP and Colts), this is the best I've had, all in all. And I'll tell you, this guns puts a serious bug in me to replace the hole in my collection with a high end, full sized, 1911. It is a serious addiction waiting to happen. I've got to be careful as hell.

I didn't have time to get out the professional camera, so this was just shot on a dirt cheap point and shoot. I've looked at these, too, and I can say that the gun just cannot be captured on film. It's twice as beautiful in person than it appears on film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

3. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Absolutely Gorgeous!

4. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice, Mac. :thumbsup:

Good report too. :)

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I like the NON BILLBOARD look-VERY NICE:wavey:

6. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

7. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Nice.
    Enjoy.
    :supergrin:

8. Aces and 8s

Aces and 8s Dead Mans Hand

That is one sexy piece of armory

9. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Got one. Absolutely love it.

10. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Really beautiful. Especially with those laser grips. How much were they? Is that a two-tone finish or just the exposure?

11. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

+1000 Love the plain slide, its the way a 1911 should look.

Congrats, very beautiful gun!

12. rfd339

rfd339

Congrats Mac, great looking 1911. Love the clean lines and grips

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Congrats Mac. Terrific 1911! :cool:

14. up1911fan

up1911fan

I really like the CCO size 1911's and that's a really nice one.

15. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Excellent, congrats Mac.

16. kgjl

kgjl

I would like to see a shot of it in your hand. I want to see if your pinky is holding gun or hanging below.
    Great looking pistol!

17. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Very nice Mac. Glad to see you found one. Beautiful pistol.

18. awpk03s

awpk03s

Again, very nice pistol and good report and pictures. I love my CCO!

19. Cruiser702

Cruiser702

Congrat's, glad to hear that you're pleased with it. What's your serial number brother; mine is #26. :)

[​IMG]

20. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

It's just the exposure. The slide has the ceramic based "Duty Coat" on it, and the frame is matte. But if it's not in the direct light like that, it doesn't come across as two tone.

I may be able to get a pic up later for you. I have very average sized hands (medium golf glove) and my pinky does not hang off. It's perfect for me. However, for someone with large hands you can get 1911 mags with the pinky extension and that would make it very, very hard for anyone but an NBA player to have a pinky slip off. I don't need it at all, though.

Someone on here, I'm sure, can put up a pic of an officer frame with the mag extension.