Inheriting Guns???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by smullen, Jan 31, 2010.

1. smullen

smullen

Any of you ever inherited one or more guns???

What did ya get????

We're any of the them, ones you'll prolly never shoot or use and you really aren't too interested in, but you hang onto them, because of who gave'em too you and you feel like it'd be wrong to sell'em or trade'em for somehting you want/need???

2. The Hawk

The Hawk

I have my dad's .32 semi auto colt as well as his Remington 870 shotgun.
    I will never sell or trade them. They will be passed on to my son's who never got the chance to meet my dad.

3. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

M1 Carbine and Marlin Varmint King in .222Rem, from a great uncle. Two Colt Detective Specials and a S&W M31 from my grandfather on my dad's side. The only ones I haven't fired are the Marlin and S&W M31. One of the Colt's was my first CCW for quite a while.

4. Smashy

Smashy

Just one, my grandfather's 1933 Walther PP in 7.65 (.32ACP). He died when I was in the middle east.

[​IMG]

He carried it for years in a leather shoulder holster (which I also have) when he lived in San Francisco. It was illegal, but he was set in his ways and wasn't about to let any stupid law prevent him from protecting himself.

It's very accurate but jammed a lot when I first tried it. The two magazines that were with it were pretty worn out. I got a new one and it shoots with 100% reliability now. I don't know how old the springs are in the gun, I never replaced them. It turned out to not be necessary after getting a new magazine eliminated the reliability problem. It's a dream to shoot. I'd be willing to carry it except I don't want anything to happen to it. I don't think it's worth anything, but it's irreplaceable to me.

I don't know when it came to the U.S. or where else it's been. I wish there were a way to dig up it's history. A 77-year-old German gun might have some interesting stories to tell.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

That is funny, but wierd.

My (now deceased) dad carried a Makarov in a uncle mike's shoulder holster every day, everywhere. We live in Illinois and there is no CC but he didn't give a damn. He was going to protect himself either way.

6. maxsnafu

maxsnafu

I got my dad's Remington Model 51 autoloader in .380.

7. lawandorder

lawandorder

My Uncle brought a Luger and a PPK home from WWII and left them to me.

My Dad left me his Colt .32

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  8. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

That's really a beauty, Smashy, a nice legacy firearm. For sure, I'd carry that in a shoulder holster out of respect and in thanks.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have my late grandmother's S&W Mod. 60 that I wouldn't trade. Conicidentally, my wife's grandmother also carries a S&W J frame which my wife will probably inherit.

10. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

I will be getting a Winchester model 12, and a Browning A5 from my grandfather. He is still alive and kicking at 85, but he has set everythign aside for my uncles and us grandkids... Probably never shoot them or sell them! Just cherish them....maybe show em off :) lol

11. snair

snair

ive got a few but none are pistols or pretty guns. all working long guns

12. vart

vart

My dad has literally hundreds of guns, including everything from a crappy SKS worth a couple hundred to antique double rifles worth six figures. A lot of them are custom model 70s made by famed gunsmith Al Biesen that he uses for hunting around the world.

Here is an example of Biesen's work...

[​IMG]

The two I really love are a Sharps rifle that was built from an original rifle found wrapped in a buffalo hide in Wyoming in 1918. The action was the only salvageable piece, but the rest of the gun was beautifully restored and he uses it in black powder cartridge matches.

The other one is an all original mint condition M1 Garand that he says is worth about $15k.

I honestly don't know what I would do with all of them. The insurance premium alone to insure them would be a new car payment.

My son has no interest in shooting or hunting, so he wouldn't care what happened to them.

I'd like to think that maybe one of my grandkids would appreciate them someday.

13. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

I have a black powder pistol that was my great-great-great grandfathers and I also have a bolt action 12 gauge that was given to me by my great uncle.

14. TheBelly

TheBelly

a 1918 Lee Enfield. It's my hunting rifle. When all else fails, I can use the bayonet and stab the deer from a good ways away.

an SKS that my dad brought back from his time in the Army. In another thread, I think I said it was from Korea, but it could have been Vietnam. He went to both.

for my next trip overseas, I think that I'm going to go through the nut-roll and try and get a rifle back as a certified war-trophy. Lots of work involved, but I think it would be a worthwhile end result.

15. TheVeryIdea

TheVeryIdea Cowbell Glocker

My brother inherited my father's handgun. It's the only gun my father ever owned, as far as we know. He got it late in life as he grew infirm and only shot it once or twice.

It was a 9mm Star Firestar. I'd bet the house that my brother will never sell or trade it because it was my dad's gun. He could've bought it the week before he died and it would still have all the import of something my dad owned all his life.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  16. failsafe

failsafe

I have two that belonged to my Dad....
    A WW II GI bring home of a captured P38..
    Also a Belgium Browning 22 cal "takedown" grade II...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

I'm available..... :supergrin:

But to the OP:

I inherited a 1912-made Winchester 1897 12ga "takedown" model, a Mossberg 185D bolt-action 20ga, and an old Belgian made 12ga SxS made in the 1880s-1890s.

The Mossberg is in fine operating condition, but the box magazine has issues. It's a 2+1 capacity. It'll fire and feed 2x, but cartridge #3 won't feed at all. The Winchester needs some work. At some point it was taken down and not re-assembled correctly. The locking threads were a little boogered up as a result of someone trying to force it.

The old Belgian SxS hasn't been fired in eons...and won't ever be again. Too fragile, even if it did lock up tight...which it doesn't.

-J-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Steve0853

Steve0853

You really can tell that the Walther is wartime production. However, the little Browning is gorgeous. Both are nice bequests for you.

As far as myself, all my inherited firearms are sentimental value only.

1) A nonfunctioning 10 gauge Ithaca double.
    2) A Remington Model 33 in .22 rimfire.
    3) A Winchester Model 37 12 gauge single barrel.

all from my father in law.

4) A Smith & Wesson top break 3rd model in .38 S&W.
    5) A Taurus .25 ACP.
    6) A Hi-Point .380, shoots surprisingly well.

all from my brother in law.

19. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

I got a revolver from my grandfather. He was a Captain in the Louisiana State Police and the revolver was his from his early days as a detective. It's a Colt Detective Special (.38 special) and it was made between 1957-1958. It's still in very sound condition other than some wear on the finish. Also got his old fingerprinting kit too. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  20. ChinaCave

ChinaCave

I inherited a Remington .22 rifle, 512 Sportmaster, from my grandfather. He had been given some high-dollar hunting rifle in the 50's or early '60s as a retirement gift, said to himself "Pfft, all I want to do is scare squirrels from my bird-feeders" and traded it for the Remington. He taught me to shoot with it in the pine barrens behind his house in New Jersey.

My bookkeepers' husband is a retired NYPD Detective, and sold me his first patrol pistol - a Colt Official Police .38spcl. When he started on the PD, he and his wife were so strapped for cash his in-laws had to buy it for him, for about $68.00 That's what he charged me. Means a lot to me (None of his three kids wanted anything to do with it. )