Glock Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a 22 rifle. I was about sold on the 10/22 then my co-worker said he was getting a Henry U.S. survival ar-7. I was hoping for some input this thing seems rather cool and the fact it could fit in my backpack or in my motorcycle seems like a benefit for me. I was wondering how reliable of a weapon it is. I think it could be gimmicky so it may not be that well manufactured. I really just want a cheap to shoot rifle at the range but I like the survival aspect of this weapon.

·
Huge Member
12,241 Posts
The AR7 is kind of a cheaply made niche rifle at high price (yeah I have one). While your friend stashes his cool little rifle away because the plastic stock is actually kind of bulky and the rifle is innaccurate and not very reliable, you can be out shooting and hitting something.

If you want a good rifle at a bargain price, look at the Marlin 795.

·
****** Viejo
32,106 Posts
If the Henry rendition is better than all of the previous brands then I might buy one.Having owned several examples of the fore-runners versions I'd get something else like a 10/22,etc.YMMV.tom.:cool:

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
The 10/22 is a pretty nice rifle, just the way it comes. It can be turned into a spectacular rifle by changing the barrel, trigger group and, perhaps, the stock. Mine shoots the Wally World Federal Bulk into one hole groups at 25 yards. Great little rifle after I fixed it up a bit.

I also have a CZ534 bolt action gun that is just amazing. Among other things it has a 'set trigger' so you can reduce the trigger pull by pushing the trigger forward and then squeezing of a round. It also shoots one hole groups at 25 yards and I haven't done anything to it.

Both rifles are so accurate that if the shot misses, even slightly, it is the shooter, not the rifle or ammo.

Richard

·
Patriot
1,808 Posts
The AR7 is kind of a cheaply made niche rifle at high price.
I agree, and I've had one too.

I'd recommend the Ruger 10/22, and if you need it compact for hiking or whatever you can get the Choate's or Butler Creek folding stock. The numerous accessories available for a 10/22 make it near limitless how you can configure your own rifle.

Here's a picture of my 10/22 'Possum Killer in a Choate's folding stock.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LgEcfnnACYU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure how much you&#8217;re looking to spend on a .22 or invest in upgrades but after watching the above video I purchased a Sig 522. It&#8217;s a fantastic shooter. Tack driver! I can&#8217;t say enough good things about it and my grandson just can&#8217;t get to shoot it often enough. Neither can I! I have severl .22 LRs and this is by far my favorite.

Here&#8217;s mine. Blow is the case it breaks down and fits in.

Love this case!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Q4YoT-Iq3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have a high regard for the Henry leverguns, but of the two choices given it'd be the 10/22, hands down.

The AR-7 sounds like a handy package, but it's been made by several others over the years & is just not in the same league as the Ruger.
I had one from a previous maker & was not impressed. Once you get beyond the takedown feature, there's not much else to recommend the design.
Denis

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
19,382 Posts
If you want a reliable takedown .22, look at the Feather brand of guns.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As has been said, the AR-7 is kind of a niche rifle and not all that accurate from what I've read. If you plan on killing an army of tin cans in an afternoon the bare barrel is gonna get pretty warm I imagine. A neat conversation peice, but for extended sessions, a 10/22 would be better. I personally was not that impressed with the one 10/22 I owned. It jammed a lot and was not all that accurate. You can customize them from mild to wild with all the aftermarket stuff, but I didn't want to spend that much time or money trying to make it into something I'd like. If I were to shop for another .22 semi-auto, I think I'd look at Savage or Marlin. I have a CZ452 bolt action that I'd have to try real hard to miss with. Its actually the only .22 rifle I have that's still in production. I have a couple of old Winchester pumps also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.