Influenze exposure. Questions.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Feb 23, 2017.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Was in a secure facility today and they were in lockdown. No family, guests... as influenze outbreak. I wore a mask (was supposed to get gown, gloves but they were unable to find) :( No matter did visit, limited contact, washed hands, removed mask outside unit, washed hands again, bought can lysol and sprayed pants, shirt, etc (eyes closed, exhale) Then washed again.
    I had planned to visit relative in nursing home that evening but decided to skip on off chance...

Got to thinking I had flu shot, Kept hands from eyes/nose/mouth (imo half reason to use mask it to remind of that)
    Its airborn, limited life outside of host.

so since we have Dr.s on here. Thoughts? Avoid unneeded contact with folks esp elderly for 3 days? I feel I took precautions. I get sick/my choice. Just thought of getting others, esp elderly would upset me...
    I did also put clothing in wash when I got home. Was planning anyway just made it first batch. (rest will wait till doing laundry)

2. nursetim

nursetim

I read in one of my "captain obvious" briefs today that the vaccine was/is 48% effective.
    I think you were very wise in not visiting your relative.

I think you took all the precautions short of a level A isolation suit.

dartor likes this.

3. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

I take care of a friend with cancer and I generally wait a week before seeing her if I feel I've been exposed to something or I'm sick.

I got the flu vaccine in early October and I've been exposed to influenza several times since and haven't gotten sick.

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Yrs back I worked with some nasty stuff. AS in total clothing change, shower before leaving facility, outfit to drive home, toss in wash, take another shower at home before contact with anyone. Did not enjoy that (or shot that went with it)
    Honestly I don't think they were going to allow me in. (so hr each way drive wasted) but I had called ahead/given wrong info. AND when I said I was former EMT, cross contam... It was "Ok then lets get you a mask, gown" (then they couldn't find gown in unit)
    Funny thing is they forgot to search me. (and I had made sure I left toys in car) Guess they figured I would not be one to break rules and bring cell phone, weapon of any kind, drugs.... inside.
    Others who have been to this facility said pockets turned inside out, patted down...

5. Kevinr20

Kevinr20

Everyone and their mother has been sick around me this winter. I've yet to get sick. Fingers crossed. I didnt get my flu shot either.

6. vart

vart

Interviewed for a position as a supervisor in a corporate hog confinement facility in Iowa. They took me on a tour of the facility and I had to shower, put on a protective suit, gloves, shoe booties, and mask.

Did the tour, witnessed unspeakable horrors, then upon leaving, had to shower and change back into normal clothes.

I got home and my wife could still smell pigs on me. Turned down that particular job offer... :ack:

7. GamerGirl

GamerGirl 100% Relevant

8. -JCN-

-JCN-

For influenza, mask and eye protection is usually sufficient. I get exposed to people with full blown flu fairly often. I have not been infected (yet). The state of your immune system does matter though.

9. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

10. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

My son just lost a classmate from what I hear may be influenza, and we're waiting to hear back what caused my nephew to pass. They live in the same county, but go to different schools.

I wouldn't take any chances. When I was younger I didn't understand the dangers.

11. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

If you are in close/direct contact, ask your physician for a prophylaxis prescription for Tamiflu.

12. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I started taking Humira in January.I've already had 2 colds and the flu,before Humira i rarely if ever got sick now if the virus is in the same county i'll get it. :fist:

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

Can I have your guns?

/