Inexpensive LED tacticle light.

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by raw6464, Feb 8, 2010.

1. raw6464

raw6464

I have one of these lights from OpticsPlanet http://www.opticsplanet.net/nc-star-aqptf-led-flashlight-for-pistols-rifles.html

Sells for $35 free shipping, 1 Watt LED. Uses a CR123 Li-ion battery that will give you around 4 hours, you can buy extra batteries on the internet for less than a buck. It's very well made rugged construction. There's reviews on the web for additional info. Considering these lights go into the hundreds of dollars, this light is a steel.

[​IMG]

2. FlyfishermanMike

FlyfishermanMike

On the gun pics?

For only another $35 I could get a TLR-3 which blows this thing out of the water in every comparison.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010

3. stansbrew

stansbrew

Looks good and all, but 35 lumens is NOT very bright and I would not consider it to be a "tactical" level of light. 80 lumen would be acceptable for me, but give it a shot it is cartainly cheap enough. Just my .02c

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

I have looked at those as well... For the price, it seems to be a good deal, but you do get what you pay for... I paid $75 shipped to my door for a TLR-3 on ebay and I love it! 90 lumen, light weight, single battery and most importantly, it stands up to the shock of thousands of rounds being fired with it on.

The only thing I would worry about with the NCStar would be it's ability to handle the shock and keep working after multiple rounds are fired... I just don't think it would have much of a "life".

My .02... Good luck!

5. raw6464

raw6464

Read the reviews at the web site before you poo poo it... it's been put on berreta, sigs, glocks, springfields with some heavy recoils with no problems or complaints of light failure.

I agree this light is not made for serious tacticle use, that's just the terminology used. But this light is perfect for home protection use at a very reasonable price including shipping. Comparing it with lights at twice the price is not a comparison it's a subjective opinion.

6. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Give us a range report with it... I hope it serves you well... What gun is it on?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  7. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

I have this light. Took mine to the range and put 150 rounds through it with the light on and it did not turn off. I thought 35 lumens would be weak and then just return it or use it for something else.

I have been a streamlight lover for a long time. I have a led stinger thats stupid bright, a microstream, stinger halogen, and a nano keychain light which is awesome. At 10 lumens the nano keychain can light up any small space. At 20 lumens the microstream pen light can light up full corners of my house (but i keep it in my truck incase of emergency).

My issue with buying a streamlight tac light is that it has no quick release, and not just that the light will only be on the gun when sitting dormant at night time. If streamlight made a tac light that had the quick release i would be all over it.

Anyways here is the light on my gun, it is bright enough to do the job. I have family in town if i get a chance to compare the lights and take pics I will.

[​IMG]