close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indy GSSF shooting schedule question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by eel, May 17, 2002.

1. eel

eel

Hi,

I'm not a new shooter, but my first outdoor GSSF match will be at Indy next month. I have read most of the FAQ about gssf but still have a couple questions.

I will be arriving on Sat, about 1pm. I'm shooting 3 classes. Will I have time to shoot all classes on Sat. at the late arrival time? My plan was maybe shoot one class on Saturday, the rest on Sunday. Are the classes on different score sheets so I will be able to turn in one class? Or is it still better to turn them all in at once Sat., even if I only shoot some classes or some stages? If you don't finish do you leave the sheets with the GSSF staff and just show up sunday to finish? All your recommendations will be helpfull.

Eric

2. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

eel welcome aboard....you will have different sheets for each event and yes for each category. If you arrive at 1:00 pm and distribute all your sheets promptly you still might be able to finish all (3) categories. After distribution of your sheets pick the event you would like to start first....you will be able to shoot (2) categories and then you must take a mandatory rest( one shooter will shoot) and then you can shoot your last category.You will find the Range Officiers helpful and find the range accomodating.....good luck and have fun;f

3. eel

eel

If I don't finish on Sat. Do I leave the unused score sheets with the RO's for the next day, or do I need to keep them and turn them in again Sun?

Eric

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Personally I think it's best to only put out the sheets that you plan to use each day. I have had problems with sheets being mishandled on the SAME day they were put out, much less leaving them out overnight. How it works out for you to shoot depends on many factors, how many magazines do you have, how many competitors come, when does everybody decide to shoot. If you pick the wrong place to start, you may wait for an hour or more, this will definitely slow you through the match. I have come before noon and ended up finishing up at 4:30 which was near dark at that match. Try to find a fellow GTer going and meet up with them, that will give you some help moving through the match. Don't rush, shoot slow and accurate, and above all have a good time! ;f

Maybe Festus could give you some pointers at the match.

5. another okie

another okie

Five to Glock is usually the slowest, but I also find it's the best one to start with as a warm-up.

I shot three categories at Dallas for the first time and it was a little much. I was jerking the trigger on the third category. Next time I think I'll do what you are talking about and shoot one or two on Saturday or the rest on Sunday. Maybe it would accomplish the same thing to shoot two categories, go to lunch, and come back and shoot the third. Some range officers don't like to let you shoot more than two categories at once anyway, so those waiting don't get too restless.

I agree that you should probably only pass in the sheets you plan to shoot that day. But take them all around to all three rotations before you shoot any of them. That's the single most important thing you can do to speed up your day.

Be safe!

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Leave the sheets with the person who is running the event....I forgot one thing though... you are required to attend an orientation if you have never attended, this is usually an 1/2 hour video tape on range ettiquette and safety...usually the fastest event is the plates....4 runs of six plates goes quickly....I usually start with the Glock M...I find that there is more movement and that seems to be the most difficult for me....as far as pointers, shoot slowly,avoid the adrenaline, I am also shooting (3)CATEGORIES hoping to use the first (2) AS WARMUPS and Jitters and save the last for the Amateur Civilian class....I hope to arrive at 9:00 am and be done by noon....good luck.;f