close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indy Debriefing - 2006

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Butch, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I got there early to find Scott and Chris working at making the computer work so they could get people registered, but I was one of the lucky one's that had pre-registered, so I got my pre-printed stickers and went out to shoot. :)

The turnout didn't appear to be heavy, and the registration process was apparently slowing things down some, but I signed in at all three stages and then shot through them without having to wait hardly at all.

The early morning weather was warm, but very nice for shooting. The 'M' was set up with the paper option, never heard anyone say (or ask) why, they've always had poppers there before. It's the second time I've shot the paper option, the first being at the Gunny match last February, but it does seem to go faster to both shoot it and run it.

The RO's I shot with were all great, even if not real experienced, but they all did well.

I shot OK, not up to where I'd be HAPPY, but I've certainly messed it up a lot worse in the past. And, I was back at my Dad's place by 10:30 in the morning! I might run back up there in the morning and take a few more pictures, and will be home to Minnesota late Tuesday to post 'em!

:patriot:

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i got there around 3pm saturday, got my stickers to save time on sunday and will shoot then. i did visit with several of the ROs i know and they were all done and had things put away by 4pm or so.

3. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Wow what a beautiful day, I arrived in Indy at noon and after signing my release form and handing in two Team Forms for IndyGlockers I received my (5) category stickers ( I was pre-registered) in about 1-1/2 minutes. I proceeded in signing in at all stages and tried to catch my breath at the 5 to Glock and wait for my first category...I was treated like royalty...I was handed a glass of water and socialized with a great bunch of people...as they waited on me to shoot.I proceeded in shooting all (5) categories and received the same treatment at the Glock M....Marv and his group to say the least did a fantastic job. I then strolled over to the Plates this is where things changed.....JUST KIDDING . I was greated by fellow team mates and R.O's Edwin and Jim....Edwin wanted to know if I minded him scoring me...I said no and silently thanked him for not allowing me to take the Lords name in vain as I proceeded in having one of the worst plate runs using my Sub-Compact,I left (6) plates standing and that category was worst than my whole score for Master Stock.

I talked to Terminator and his wife and thanked them for their assistance in finding a third for IndyGlockers Team 11..Dean Francisco...Dean welcome aboard. Dean and all others shooting today GoodLuck.I talked with John F from Ohio, Johns newfound enthusiasm for this sport was contagious.

I've decided as I grow older I find multi-tasking relative to skills ( shooting multiple guns)complicated for me.I am retiring The Sub-Compact and the two new model 29's for Major Sub will not see their debut....ED's going to buy them, cause he only has 34 Glocks.

Again thanks to Steve and all the R.O's for a great day,if you missed this event I would highly recommend this for next year.:supergrin:

4. Ghost361

Ghost361

I had a great time and wanted to thank all the R.O's and the guys on here that got me going in the right direction. I registered my team as G.O.A. U.T.L. so we will see how we do. I was suprized at the lack of people at the match. Upon talking to everybody they said it was very out of the norm. I was really impressed with the setup and the facility. I was worrying about finishing in one day and I think we were done within a couple hours shooting 3 catagories. After reviewing our scores we did not do nearly as well as I think we are capable but if prior scores of past matches hold we should all place in the top ten of each event. But we had a great time anyway. One thing I would like to see added is lunch being sold for competitors as well as the RO's. I wouldve liked to stick around to chat more but by the time we had finished we were looking for grub and had to leave to get it. But all in all what a great day. I think my buddy Matt Byers is going to be close to the top in Guardian if previous scores hold so congrats to him. I brought 2 new members that I shot the team match with and they both did well. That entered me in the drawing twice which was cool and after my poor display about the only shot I have at taking home a gun. LOL Better to be lucky than good anyway though right.

Another note I was one of the ones standing in line with the broken printer. You will never see me not pre registering again. Just makes more sense.

Thanks to all and I cant wait to see the results.

5. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Good it sounds like everyone is and had a great time. I still have Indy on my list of places to come shoot. (soon I hope)

Festus (multi-tasking & age = more fun!) Which is why it makes us work so much harder. It's called Practice, Practice, and Practice. In my experience I found shooting 3 categories is enough. Shooting the 4th is max-ed out. Shooting the 5th & 6th is way over the top for me. I loose all concentration! (Become a dribbling mess by the end of the day). But I still have fun.

One big thing I stopped doing during the match is keeping score! Don't even think about it till it's over.

I am sorry I missed it again this year but hope to be back next year.

Pharaoh

p.s. New hip is great! Should not have waited so long to have it done. Old second hip sucks! It looks like Dec. I will go under the knife again for my second hip. Thank you for you help and input it sure did help with the rehab.:cool:

6. Terminator

Terminator

Paula and I arrived early and luckily we had pre-registered as we couldnt help but notice that scott was having some printer issues. After Getting to greet Butch and talk for a few minutes we were out to the range to sign in and get ready for Paula's first match.

The day was beautiful and not nearly as hot as it was last year thank God and there was almost no waiting at any stages. The RO squads were absolutely AWESOME! and i have to personnally send out a huge thanks to all of them for making a very nervous new GSSF competitor feel totally welcome and taking the time to help ease her anxiety. This is what GSSF is all about and you guys deserve an award for excellence :number1: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I got to hang with "Old Man" Jim Harlan and chat a while and its always a pleasure :). Had great time talking to some old friEnds and meeting some new ones. Had a Great time talking to Festus and taking a break in while reloading. BTW your welcome, but you have to give Dean Back ;) .

I shot horribly so i doubt anyone will have anything to worry from me this year, but at least i finished under 100 in Guardian and Sub compact after leaving a plate standing :frown: all in all i guess it was ok because i had fun, and after the match Paula finally gave permission to buy a plate rack. HOO YAH!

7. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I have been sick so I didn't go this year. Indy is my second favorite match. Hope to make Lexington in Oct if I can get better. I'll be retired by then and hopefully not working at a Max security prison that's getting ready to have another riot won't be an issue.

8. B Coyote

B Coyote

I had a good time, but I didn't shoot up to my standards.

It was fun ROing...I'll help again next year if Steve needs.

IPDBrad, it was good to meet you.

bc

9. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I've shot better but still didn't shoot real bad either. I should of known the weekend was starting out bad when my iron sighted open gun wouldn't fire at the indoor match on saturday.looks like i need to order federal primers, maybe 20,000 and pay the hazmat fee. if that didn't tip me off the flat tire in the motel parking lot sure should have, or the rain changing the tire in the motel parking lot. on the other hand i'm not sure i've had a better time at a match, got to visit with dennis, jim, and ed on saturday. sunday i shot with jim and ed plus i met rikki and butch for the first time. got to talk with dwight (sic?) G7, gradey, and a lot of other shooters and ROs that i never got their names. i let a couple of the ROs look over my open gun and let one shoot it, but i only had a few rounds left so one never got to shoot it.

the 5 to glock was set up backwards and was sort of a problem, more in my head than actually shooting it. the M was set up angled to the right of the table and firing position, i never felt like i was really standing right to shoot it. one of the ROs on the M said he'd been letting people make up misses on the "paper" steel when the rules say 1 rounds per string on the paper option, i believe without looking in the rules. some shooters got a break on it, i never took the extra shot he told me to take and i think we got him straightened out on it, but it was late on sunday by then. i hate shooting paper instead of the steel.

looks like i might be the new owner of a pair of 29s and depending on when this jobs ends going to St. Paul with dennis.

10. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Shot my first outdoor today. Really enjoyed it. Can't wait till the next one. My score stunk but I had fun anyway. Well, except when I turned off the exit ramp from the freeway at my home exit. My trucks transmission started acting up. Can't wait to see what the dealer says about the repair.

Good fathers day weekend overall though--indoor at Lauhorners and my first ever outdoor at Indy. Think between the great people at Lauhorners and seeing how Indy was, my wife is ready to start shooting GSSF also.

Want to thank all the RO's for doing a good job, and thank Glock for a fun time.

11. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Glock M had the paper option because 'steel' targets are no longer allowed in some of the bays.

I can't give you an answer on the mirror image 5toG...
    I played 6th grade basketball and they made us change ends at halftime-no big deal?

I dunno about the lunch thing...I think they may do something different next year- Steve talked about it...one year we have a big old crowd and a minimal food vendor, then we get a little crowd and a Big vendor that's not happy ... Of course you guys coming in don't know the "lay of the land".. but right at the end of the drive that leads to the range is a SPEEDWAY gas station on 56th Street- that's where you buy the safest hotdogs( toofer99cents) that you can get in Indy.
    The vendor didn't show up at all today...maybe one of you competitors that didn't get to eat paid him to no show Sunday????
    I didn't know he was only selling to RO's...I didn't eat, but you coulda borrowed my shirt....

I thought the crowd was light- but I never got out of the West Bay much- we had one 5toG and a GM in there...so I never got to see the crowd size, and we were steady busy all day sat.

This morn(Sun) we ran maybe 20 cof thru, then shut our bay down.
    I was going home, but thought I'd shoot if I had ammo- found 90 rounds of crusty A-MERC 40 cal behind the seat of my truck and a G-27 with a G-22 mag(?) in the kick panel...so about 1:30 I became Comp#202
    in Master Stock.
    I beat the odds because there was some side bets as to if the primers would fall out of the A-Merc...
    I forgot the door panel g-27 didn't have a rear sight- THANK YOU to the RO that pointed THAT out before I started, but I cruised in somewhere around 160 in the FSO(front sight only) class- a NEW PERSONAL BEST for me there.No misses!

I thought it was a good shoot- and it was sure nice to work it with all the competitors and RO's being so nice this year...
    I had fun.

I got home today and got a new book for Father's Day!
    Ed McGivern's Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting!
    HOO HAW!

12. sjstill

sjstill Guest

Thanks to all who helped out, it made my job a whole lot easier (and made me & the Range look good, too...)!

Appreciate all the folks who came out and shot. The attendance was down, don't know why, but we still had close to 200 for the weekend. Father's Day, gas prices, phase of the moon, who knows what's to blame.

Don't know what happened to the food guy Sunday, sumbeech never even called me to day he wasn't coming. I saw him Saturday evening, and he never said anything then, either. Gonna try someone different next year!

I don't know what happened on the mirror image 5tG. Lot of folks shot it Saturday and never noticed, wasn't caught until Sunday morning. Won't happen again.

We aren't allowed to have steel in the South facing bays (long story), so to keep thing even, we used the Paper Option for all the M's. I didn't really like the way we had the M's set up in the Tac bay, seemed cramped to me.

Old Man (Jim Harlan) and Dave Jamerson won the RO Glocks.

All-in-all, a good match. No medical runs, or even major cuts/bruises. No ND's (that I heard of), no major griping or complaining.

I'm beat :supergrin:

13. sgtb

sgtb

This was my third year in a row shooting at INDY. I have never shot another GSSF. The crew did a great job as usual. I only wish one of the ranges in Illinois would get in on GSSF. I may try the shoot in Louisville this year if work permits. Good job everyone.

14. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

:supergrin: Yeah, I was apparently one of them that didn't notice...... :embarassed:

Dwight pointed it out to me this morning, he may have been the one that noticed it, and I've been telling him for ten years not to look at the target! ;) (Yer spose to be looking at yer sights.....right?)

:patriot:

15. GLW

GLW

Just wanted to add my thanks to all the hard working ROs that make the GSSF match in Indy one of the best. Sorry to hear the attendance was down a bit from last year, but I'm certain that Father's Day played a role. I usually shoot on Saturday but factors beyond my control made Sunday a better choice. Fortunately, I was still able to see many old friends and make some new ones as well.
    Luck was with us as far as the weather was concerned. My friend Dave and I drove home in rain but saw nothing more than a little mist during the shooting. I'll take that over the heat and humidity of last year!!
    The "mirror image 5toG" was interesting (I'll use that as my excuse for my performance) but actually, if I was used to it, I think I'd like it better than the normal way. Perhaps Scott or Chris should make that another "option" for the clubs. It does add an interesting wrinkle to the match. For those who haven't tried Indy, the facility is great, and very easy access to the interstate. But as I stated before, the best feature of all is the welcoming atmosphere created by the ROs and GSSF staff. Thanks again and see you next year.

16. KYgundoc

KYgundoc

I had to shoot Today (Sunday) because the Indoor range that I work at was having a GSSF Indoor League match so I was RO and could not leave. The sign up was as fast as I have ever had and the only back up was on the "M" and that was only 3 shooters ahead of me. The rest of the stages I walked up and shot. Met a few old friends and made some new ones. RO's were super nice . My only gripe was the plate rack was a little slugish. I thought I was having to shoot a lot of plates twice but just thought it was me. I rode up from Louisville with "Berretta9" so I was watching him shoot the plates after my run and he had several good 8 oclock hits that did not go down with factory 9mm ammo. I guess the rain rusted the pivot points on the plate rack. had so much fun even the rain did not bother me.

17. Ghost361

Ghost361

Usually how long does it take before the results are posted?

18. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Preliminary results usually are posted in about a week. Final results usually 2 to 3 weeks later, depending on how many matches follow the match in question . . .

I had 3 personal bests. :) FINALLY broke 100 in Am/Civ. :) I liked the mirror image 5 to GLOCK - a lot.

I shot in the stages in reverse order (PM5)of my usual (5MP) and believe the change was very good for my scores.

I shot the plates on the "bad" side - and the "Old Man" was my RO . . . those are my excuses, and I'M STICKING TO 'EM !!!

Congrats on the Gun draw, Jim !!!:dancing: :banana: :woohoo: :elephant: :snoopy: :wave: :pepper:

19. ede

ede Bama's Friend

congrats to team mate jim on winning the RO glock. sure hope my name gets pulled from the hat since i'm not going to be getting one for a 1st place finish.

gradey brings up an interisting point about another option. i know GSSF isn't ever going to change anything but i think it'd be great if they had 6 or 10 differant stage set ups and used 3 at random and a match so us guys that never pratice the same 3 stages would be on a more level playing field.

20. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Amen to Jims win....Old Man,how did ya do ????;)