close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indy 2002 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Jun 29, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

OK, Shooters, post your stories here.:)

2. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

I think I shot my all time high scored for GSSF, oh wait you say the low score wins??? Maybe this will color in the picture for you.

The Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce gave me a pint of gas and a small Snicker bar and pleaded with me not to stop until I was WAY past the city limits.

I did stop on the way home and pick up 5 thirty pacs of sight juice, maybe by Wed., I will find some humor in the INDY GSSF.

Hey FRANK KOO........!

3. Bruce Warren

Bruce Warren Millennium Member

Well,Danny and all my Side Armour Team mates. I'm afraid I really fell on my face. I tried so hard to do well on Stockmeister that I must have forgotten how to shoot. 3 "D's" on 5 to Glock pretty well shot any chance I may have had. My unoffical scores are as follows:
    Am/Civil: 91.07 Competition: 86:20 StockMeister: 96.0 Guess I had better apologize to Team Sidearmour for my bad showing. But, on the lighter side, I met Frank Koo and we had a great time visiting while waiting to shoot. Seemed to me a much lighter crowd than last year. Not nearly as crowded at 9:00AM as last year. I sure hope tomorrow is a better day for me as I have an ICORE match in Brighton, MI in the AM. Maybe the targets will hold still for me. Those Glock targets jump around entirely too much.

4. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

Well, I didn't shoot today but RO'ed the whole day. Things seemed to run pretty smooth. Didn't hear any complaints for anyone. Ran about 210+\- people through today and was twiddle'ing our thumbs by around 4:00. I expected a mad house. It also was hard to sit back and watch everyone else shoot and not shoot till Sun. I did get one run on the plates for fun. It was with my carry ammo 5.83(one string). Less than impressive for me. Oh well, my handloads should treat me right. I'll be shooting with Team Bradis. We should give everyone a good run.

5. embee

embee Aging member

No beginner's luck like at New Albany last week. But then this was whole different ball game.

Didn't do too badly on 5 to Glock but really fowled up (language toned down for the forum) the Glock M. On only one string at GTP did I get all the plates, but used more than six rounds to do it.

Very friendly and helpful ROs as were the rest of the staff. Had a problem with order of shooters at the Glock M but then I didn't help matters any.

Here are a couple things I'll do differently next time:

Find a better time to shoot. Despite an 8:30 arrival and distributing my score sheets right away, it took almost 4 hours to shoot just once at each stage. I wonder if things open up in the afternoon and evening.

Write down my scores. As the RO calls out the hits (and misses), write it down then write down my times. That way I can calculate my score on the spot.

In spite of the frustrations at GM, I had a great time and am looking forward to the next event!

MB

6. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Choke was the word today....in my case patient died on table while corpse proceeded in a catonic state.I would rather have my left hip replaced without anesthesia than go through another match like Indy...it was to say the least humbling and frustrating...I will dig deep and try not to make excuses;g

7. macosx

macosx

This was my first GSSF event. I purchased my first Glock, a G26, three weeks ago today. I have shot about 600 rounds before today to get ready.

I choked as well. I've been doing really well the past few weeks. But today it was as if I hadn't learned anything. I think I was just so anxious to get the shots off that I was forgetting proper technique.

I shot subcompact and amateur civilian. That was the most appropriate term for me today. :) I think that shooting in two classes the first time out was a little much. I saved the plates for last. I was horrible. I was so frustrated (going through 8 groups of 11) that my drive home, all 5 hours of it, was just horrible. But the more I thought about it, the more I realize that I learned several lessons.

#1 SLOW DOWN - I just kept wanting to finish. I missed several shots and that just kills your score.

#2 RELAX - This was my first time out. I don't know what I was expecting. A miracle gift of precision shooting I guess! Next time I just need to calm down and enjoy the fun.

#3 MEET PEOPLE - Everyone seemed really nice, but I was so caught up in doing everything the right way, that I didn't stop to meet enough people. I did meet two really cool people though. Frank Koo is a great guy. Nice to meet you Frank! I also met a nice gentleman who was a great shot and a good example of how to enjoy these events (and life.) He used to be a cop. Until a BG decided to shoot him with a shotgun. Now this guy is in a wheelchair. But he was really cool and man could he shoot!

I look forward to my next GSSF match. Maybe I will have learned from these lessons.

8. swampmaster

swampmaster

Well I did Really well better than I thought I would .Got there early Looked around watched a few people talked to somemore.Have both my 20 and 21 checked out by the armorers to make sure all was well,only one problem they didnt like, my Plus two's on my Hicaps so they put all new bases on them.Got alot of helpful hints on how i was shooting and what i was doing wrong. I plan on really practicing.Someday I hope to be good enough to be invited to shoot on team Sidearmor.Bought 4 orange mags for my 20 a tshirt for the wife and a hat for myself.

Opppps didnt shoot this time but we learned enough to make a go of it next year and bring 3 other people to join in with us.

I really cant wait until next year but I want the year to practice more I need to get the wife a Glock of her own to shoot with she was really excited about all of this.I wont be able to get her a glock for about 6 months as we are building a 36x40 3 car garage and all money is tied up(please dont tell me like her family did) "Sell some of your other guns"

Well long enough rant We hade a great time and cant wait till next year

9. traithe

traithe

Sounds like I wasn't the only one that had a choking problem today. I placed eigth in the B Catagory for Am/Civ last year, this year it looks like I might be inthe C Catagory. Choke, choke, choke...the good news is that I know what I was doing wrong, amatuer mistakes, but I haven't practiced like I should have. I still had fun, and it likes like I am in great company!

10. jay.shebuski

jay.shebuski

Hey Festus

..ain't nothing but a thing. You can still shoot w/team bad hip (HA).

I must say, that you wrote the most "painfull" thread I have read to date. Did I tell you I woke-up in the middle of my surgery? Only in the military medical system.

We will certainly have to do a link-up and do some shoot'n at a GSSF match.

Jay

11. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Whoa! Just got home after a 9.5 hour drive! Tell you what, I shot poorly but I had SO MUCH FUN meeting new people as well as seeing old friends. It lessened the pain of my poor performance! If it were not for meeting my new friends, the trip would have not been worth it! Thanks everyone!

Scott 'Mr. Friendly' Gilbertson, Diane 'Ms. Radiant' Mills, Chief Range Officer Bill Miller and Assistant CRO Chris Ferrell had everything under control and running smoothly. There were at least two setups of each event and three of the Glock M (if I'm not mistaken). Bill Miller had SO MANY Competent RO's working the match, it was truly amazing and very efficient. I can see why the match attendence numbers were so high in previous years for this INDY GSSF Club!

I got to meet two additional Sidearmor teammates for the first time, John Hurd and Bruce Warren. John, you are such FUN guy to be around! I'm glad I got a chance to see your RACE gun! You better get a patent on that John, SIR! Bruce, you're as cool (calm and collected) as they come! Dennis (Festus), I'm sorry that I did not get the chance to meet you... hopefully we'll hook up at one of the other matches!

I met so many RO's and shooters and everyone was so friendly and helpful!

I met two young GSSF Competitors, 12 year old Randy Miller (grandson of Chief Range Officer Bill Miller) and 10 year old David Stauffer(our future is LOOKING BRIGHT!). Randy worked hard all day as part of the RO crew for one of the Glock M stages (he busted his tail so we can shoot... what a guy!). David was shooting the match with his Dad, Scott and his older brother, Benjamin. What a great family activity to be able to attend and shoot a GSSF match together! Talk about competitive... these guys were SERIOUS! but all in a FUN way. Nice family!

I met Jeremy (MACOSX), what a likable guy! Jeremy has found GSSF and Glocktalk about three weeks ago and is now totally 'hooked' like the rest of us! Welcome to the 'Club' Jeremy!

I met former Police Officer Charles Huffman who shot the match from his wheelchair. Jeremy is right, this man can shoot! I'm sure glad he's on our side!

I met brother and sister team, Simeon and Rachel, who are just getting started into shooting. They had volunteered to work the match even though they were not going to shoot this match. I was relieved in knowing that they will be in good hands with their shooting mentor Vic Seiter! Vic also RO'd the match.

These are only some of the people I met today, there are so many others!

I'll be posting pics that I took at the match soon!

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Musicians use the term "Hitting Clams" for making errors. Wow, it sounds like Clam Chowder Day at Indy.;e

The important thing is to have a good time shooting, and it seems that all hit that "Bullseye." As long as we remain human, there will always be clams. Keys to remember are recovery and focus.

For those that shot your first GSSF match, BRAVO! Now you know what to expect next time, so practice with a purpose.

13. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

It is 3:30 am in Elkhart Indiana and I am reflecting on yesterday.... In the words of a Group called ALABAMA...."I want to thank all the Range Officers for their time" I did meet Edwin(ERR) and several others, it was very warm for this time of year and yes I agree Bill Miller and his crew did an excellent job again as always . I did do one intelligent thing yesterday and that was PRE_REGISTER for ST.Paul.I intend to be on the range early this A.M. to capture what was lost, Focus and Concentration...now back to re-reading TIPS from the PRO'S, see ya all at St.Paul
    :)

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

P.S. Jay today is another day....thanks for the words of encouragement that's what GlockTalk is about...we will hook-up with a match in the future...goodluck on the move ;f

15. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Park-like setting...

For those who haven't been to the Indy Range, it's part of the Indiana State Parks system... They even gave Scott and Diane "his & hers" picnic tables... They were sorting the 200+ score sheets by noon on Saturday... humm, how much to take about fifty points off of my score sheets?;e

16. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Did we mention there were MANY RO's at the match? Here's an example of how many RO's Bill Miller pulled together for just ONE stage (5TG)!

All very Athletic-Looking people, don't you agree? Must be something to do with 'Hoosier Country'! Not one grumpy, mean or nasty RO in the entire bunch! They didn't even get grumpy when the vendor at the match temporarily ran out of BUNS for the hot dogs and Brats!

Thank you Stacey for helping me with the names!

From left to right:

Jamie Huffman,
    Eric Welsh,
    Stacey 'Ms. Congeniality' Hood,
    Chris Ferrell,
    John Haver,
    Sam Newberry,
    Nathan Redden

17. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

This picture was taken when I was leaving for home (about 3PM)... most shooters had already gone through and left which explains the 'light' crowd.

To the left (where you read stage 2)... there were four stages (two GM and two 5TG)... the vendor area is in the middle of the picture and to the right there were two plate racks in the first bay and another 5TG in the second bay.

Who would have thought this range is in a metropolitan area next to two major interstates? A wonderful facility.

18. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

GSSF Staffers can set up their command central anywhere!

You all probably know GSSF Staffers, Scott and Diane, by now...

The lady RO in the picture is Rachel. Rachel did a great job keeping the score sheet pile straight and helped the other RO's keep the flow going on the 'Glock The Plates' stages! The two RO's I had at the plate stages were excellent... I wished I had my camera when I shot the plates... it was still in the car. My hat's off to all the RO's at the INDY GSSF MATCH.

We will hopefully be seeing Rachel and her brother Simeon on the GSSF circuit by next year! We're counting on Mr. Vic Seiter to tutor these future Glocker's in the way of GSSF!

19. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

OBI-Wan-Kenobi at INDY

There's a Star Wars flavor to this picture... Vic "Kenobi" Seiter will be showing Simeon "Luke" Willhite and Rachel "Princess" Willhite the ways of the GSSF! RO Neil Clayton is "Han Solo" incognito! He looks like a fighter pilot, doesn't he?

Simeon took some heat on the Glock M stage and handled it really well. Some competitors forget that these RO's are there to help and in Simeon's and Rachel's case, this is one of their first exposures to shooting sports competition! I hope their experience was a good one and that they will join us as shooting sports enthusiasts and participants!

Thanks to Vic for getting them involved.

20. LoveGlocks

LoveGlocks

Picture of the facilities at the INDY Range...

Two plate racks set up on the right side bay and the third 5TG setup on the left side bay.