Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dud: If shooting with a friend load each other's mags. Slip in a dummy round once every few mags.

Failure to Feed: Randomly load an empty, or a larger caliber dummy round in a mag.

Double-Feed: I accidentally discovered that a non-LCI extractor in a later model slide can be terrific at creating the elusive double-feed. For me it ran OK with light bullets but gagged at least once per mag with heavier bullets at higher power loads. So may or may not work at causing malfunctions, and not a quick setup to create the malfunction. I'll just set up one pistol this way for the range session. AND I'll paint this extractor for easy identification.

What other ways have you induced failures for practice? Priority is safety, of course.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I made about 10 dummies, no primer/powder, of my 9mm ammo. We use a plastic ammo
can for practice/range ammo. Match ammo is loaded in 100 round plastic flip top boxes,
bullet down. Prevents any stoppages during a match that way, and only use the plastic cans for practice. The random nature of a misfire is a surprise to us that way, which is the goal to begin
with I think.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
I have a couple 336 ejectors that only ever give brass to face. Maybe if I shorten sufficiently I can get one to produce stovepipes.
Just get somebody you know who reloads (and you trust) to load up a few hundred rounds with a light for caliber bullet, using a mid-fast powder that is well below start levels. Just make sure they don't stick in the barrel, instant stovepipe... :)

I think snap caps are one of the best "random failures". Along with having to clear the round quickly, the shooter gets a really memorable view of any anticipation. Watching the muzzle dip can be comical.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Just get somebody you know who reloads (and you trust) to load up a few hundred rounds with a light for caliber bullet, using a mid-fast powder that is well below start levels. Just make sure they don't stick in the barrel, instant stovepipe...
I'd be afraid of the shooter's instinctive tap-rack-bang sending the next round into into a blocked barrel.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Double-Feed: I accidentally discovered that a non-LCI extractor in a later model slide can be terrific at creating the elusive double-feed.
I assume that you are leaving the LCI Spring-Loaded Bearing in place, deliberately creating a parts mis-match with the non-LCI Extractor. With the proper non-LCI SLB, the non-LCI extractor should create no problems.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For sure light loading has inherent risks. Maybe I'll load some 115gr at minimum published load, then try trimming ejector until it produces an occasional malfunction. And I'm only guessing that a shortened ejector will cause sloppy ejection and occasional stovepipe. Cheap trial since I have two 336 ejectors that will never be useful otherwise.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There have been volumes written on this forum regarding, "how to make your Glock fail.
They usually start out by someone saying, "after I installed aftermarket parts ABC, my gun started......"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts