Indoor rules and scoring

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Berretta9, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Berretta9

Berretta9

The scoring for the indoor matches need to change. The current meathod of dividing the shooters into thirds and fourths and giving piizes to the winners of each group allows for sand bagging and rewards crappy shooting. I think they should adopt the outdoor rules for scoring. What are your thoughts ????

2. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

Sandbaggers don't stay champions for long. I like the Lewis system and wish the outdoor matches kept them up. It gives one something to shoot for. When I'm in C I try to be in B, even in A. It gives more people an opportunity to win something and to enter. Many people wouldn't enter if they thought only the top ones who hit 500 win. At my range, there are 12 500 scores shot at most indoor shoots (7/16). Many would stay away saying they weren't good enough. With Glock matches, everyone becomes good enough. Plus, there is a door prize of a Glock. As far as sandbaggers? Well, I go to the one in New Albany, Delaware (Blackwing SC) and Targetworld in Cincinnati, and I haven't seen sandbaggers. The people I know are honest shooters trying to help everyone they meet do their best, too. I say, keep it the same and keep it challenging to the B and C shooters.;a ;a

3. Berretta9

Berretta9

Sorry, I think it rewards shooters that were not as good as the others. Now I would not have a problem deviding it by caliber and weather you used red dots or other aids. IDPA, IPSC and USPSA all break it down like that. I probably won't shoot the indoor again if it stays this way.

4. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Time and penalty, yeah that's the ticket.

5. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

To start I think your missing the boat! This type of match is for FUN AND ONLY FOR FUN.

If your worried about your performance do what all good shooters do and practice.

I shot my first match in March and I did ok not great but ok. I had to miss the match in April because of the GSSF match in Richmond. I picked up the third match of the series in May and did a little better. I was able to better some of my scores by a small margin and come in second in A class and first in B class. Not bad for an am/civ class shooter. The one big difference was a little practice in between.

I am truly sorry you feel the way you do and have every right to voice you opinion but I am another one who likes the Lewis scoring system. It gives all the shooter a fair chance.

Better shooting next time.
    Pharaoh:cool:

6. Berretta9

Berretta9

Pharaoh, I'm not worried about my score. I made it into the top tier. No problem. My problem is that this system can also reward a shooter that has trouble hitting the back of the building. I agree I do it for fun, but don't think for moment in anyone elses mind that it's ONLY for fun. I definitly look at the scores posted and see who I beat and did not beat. Thats why they post them. You know what you shot when you leave the scorers table. You look at the list to see how you did against everyone alse. As I stated everyone else including the GSSF outdoor matches do it by merrit. Not by charity.

7. lm921

lm921 The Stampede

I like the lewis system, Mabey we should have a time trial and that would decide which class you would be shooting in.
    (20 rounds at 75ft in 18 seconds)or something like that ;)

I dont know, just a thought. eather way my first indoor match was fun and a lot harder than i thought, once i got past the 25ft mark, that 75ft shoot looked like i hit it with a shootgun :)

8. Berretta9

Berretta9

What I'm trying to point out is... If you are say 20th and you win the B class, how is it fair to the guys who finished 19th,18th,17th etc. They out shot you but you win a prize. If you have 10 prizes hand them out to the top ten. If you have 20 prizes then the top 20. They deserve them. They give away a gun for a door prize that even the worst shot can win. I'm O.K. with that. You know the gun thing is a chance thing up front.
    It took Glock so long ( 2 months) to get the membership packets back I had no idea they did it that way. I think Lewis must be the guy who does'nt want little league kids to keep score so they all feel good about themselves

9. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Where have you been? :( GSSF has always used the Lewis system in their outdoor matches until this year. Now they use the door prize system, and that's not merit based either. ;Q

10. Berretta9

Berretta9

New to GSSF. I EXPECT a door prize to be a random thing. I expect the winners to be because you won, not because you ended up 30th and thats where the break is. This system lets a shooter that has trouble hitting the back of the building walk away with a placque. For what ??

11. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

No...I do not think so....for someone to have placed two years ago last in A class for three matches and miss winning a B win pistol by the scores of .17 to 1.7 seconds ...I can heartily say no I was not sandbagging and I wanted and tried to do better....I did by the way, but actually placed worst on the roster...and you guessed it I won a B class pistol...but shot better at the match.The winning of a pistol is a small reward compared to actually lowering my scores and improving....I was taken aback by the rule changes this year which has allowed all of us to lower our personal bests, and found it hard to develop a standard to shoot for this year.The prizes in the past allowed people that incentive to which we all have enjoyed in the past and now in the present. The random drawings now allow those A shooters below the top ten to participate in the spoils...I fall in that category but I would prefer a return to the Class system which rewards those in the B...C...and sometimes D classes.

I have been participating now for 4 years now and have cut my times in half....but I am not blessed with natural talent,youthful eyes, nor an agressive attitude to win at all costs.GSSF has provided me a social event to challenge myself, a sport hopefully to embrace for the next 35 years of my life and to have purpose.;f

12. Berretta9

Berretta9

Festus, I'm refering only to the indoor matches. Time really isn't a factor. You have 15 seconds to get off 10 and 5 shots at ranges up to 50 feet and 30 seconds for 75 feet. It's hard to go long in this event. The indoor is a good equalizer as long as you are accuate, you don't have to be all that fast. I've not shot the outdoor GSSF matches but am looking foward to it. I probably won't shoot the indoor again...or hell I could just be venting

13. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

A good healthy Venting is good some times! After you shoot a few years GSSF outdoors tell me what you really think!

I liked the Lewis scoring system while GSSF used it. Now times are a changing and I look forward to change. I was shocked when GSSF changed the scoring for the new season. What fun would it be if you did the same thing every time for years and years. Like Festus stated the largest part of GSSF is the social event and meeting new shooters. Making new friends ect…

Hope to meet you on the range at a match soon!

Pharaoh
    :cool:

14. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

I shoot both indoor and out door matches. Shoot the best I can for that match too, will and always will. Have come close to winning a pistol, just like you say, I overshot a lower shooter that won the gun, so what?

I know I did my best an the break fell short of me but I see the Lewis system as an incentive for "not so good" shooters to still get a gun and don't have any heartburn with that.

I go into each match I shoot, knowing the rules as they are set up for that match. If I don't like a stage, a rule or the way a match is run, I can walk away. That's my choice to participate or not, just as it it yours.

I think Glock is trying to make this for the FUN OF EVERYONE and as I see it, it is not a competition, unless, you make it one in your own mind.

15. cmzneb

cmzneb

I attended a series of indoor matches this year to give it a try. The outdoor matches are much more fun to do.

As for the prizes part, if you win you win, and if you don't you don't. It's all for the fun and experience.

16. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Hope you did not take this as negative input...this was my opportunity which I admit I took to hopefully drive a point home. I have shot indoors at Pops in Indy and although it was uplifting I prefer outdoors, I have been for the past 14 years handicapped by my stubbornness not to address some past testosterone injuries and now have two new hips....I want to play out doors. I just got back from Marietta and had a ball...I plan to attend Topton Pa....Brighton Mi.... and Lexington Kentucky...if theres anything I can do to help you attend an Outdoor Match please PM me and I will be more than happy to help. ;f