close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indoor picture problems

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Bravo8, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Bravo8

Bravo8 Tattooed Freak

First, please forgive my ignorance, but I know little to nothing about photography - digital or otherwise.

I use my cheap-o digital camera to take basic pics, nothing fancy. However, everytime I try to take a pic inside, it comes out grainy. Is this a result of a crappy camera, or something I am doing wrong?

Here's a pic I took earlier to show what I mean.

2. hile

hile

hey man...

long time no see... Well there are a couple things... I"m just going to paste from an IM with my sister (who has a hell of a lot more clue than I):

(15:25:27) Nymph - Where is the sun?: Okay. First off, the camera isn't picking up enough light.
    (15:25:36) Coy [is it hometime yet?]: that was my first thought as well

(15:26:04) Nymph - Where is the sun?: That might be a setting on the camera, if he can raise the f-stop, that'd help. If he can't, try turning on a dozen lights beside but not the photographer when he takes pics.

(15:26:16) Nymph - Where is the sun?: I say raise, I mean lower. Open the aperatur more.

(15:26:22) Coy [is it hometime yet?]: yeah, i know.

(15:26:54) Nymph - Where is the sun?: Second, his color balance is off. If the camera is capable of adjusting the white balance that would help too. It looks like it's set on one thing and that would be outdoor photos. Indoor light is blue, outdoor light is yellow.

(15:27:40) Nymph - Where is the sun?: And third, you never ever ever take a picture of a pale faced subject against a dark couch and a white wall. It doesn't work. Stand her in front of a consistantly colored item, no matter what the color is.

(15:29:41) Coy [is it hometime yet?]: I was going to suggest opening the aperature more as well as maybe a slower ISO (if he can change that setting)

(15:30:59) Nymph - Where is the sun?: That might help too.

(15:31:22) Nymph - Where is the sun?: If he sits the camera on a stable base, like a tripod or a pile of books or whatever, and uses a longer shutter it will help too.

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

my cheapo dig camera works much better indoors when I increase exposure 1/2 to 1 stop.

4. WERA49

WERA49

Look at the camera settings. Is there an indoor setting? You might have to change the white balance. Most digitals have picture icons for sunlight, incandescent and flourescent bulbs.

Make sure that there is nothing white between the camera and subject, especially if using flash. The white object will be correctly exposed but the subject will be dark.

A large aperture will definitely help. If you still need a longer shutter speed, place as much of your body as possible against something solid. For example: lean against a wall with both arms on a table.

I hope this helps.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Bravo8, the picture is underexposed. Use better light, flash, or increase exposure, as mentioned by nipperwolf.

6. hile

hile

You took my entire post and condensed it down to one sentence. No fair!

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Occupational side effect. :cool: