close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Indoor GSSG events - 10 ring(s) visibility

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cc rider, Aug 20, 2006.

1. cc rider

cc rider

Good morning all. I am pretty new to shooting (11 months) and enjoying it a lot. I have a brother who is well-qualified to teach me defensive shooting with my G19, G27, and G22. We use an outdoor range he built with many plate targets, etc.
    My issue is with the indoor targets used for the Glock shoots at my local gunclub. I will be 60 in Dec. and wear high-quality, progressive trifocals. At the last match I shot 26 out of 30 within the ten rings and 4 just over into the eight ring (but I'm getting better). The main problem comes at 25 yards. I can just barely make out the ten rings because of the light ink color used.
    Has there ever been serious consideration to making the rings darker or changing the order of shooting on target #2 to 15 yds prior to 25 yds.? If not, is it because the target color/order of shooting is unchangeable or has the issue never been brought up? And if there is no hope of change, do any of you senior shooters have some helpful hints?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i doubt anyone can really see them, not clearly. you might get an idea or figure out part of the circle. what i do is picture the target folded from top to botton and then again from side to side, where the folds cross will be the middle. at 75' you have 30 seconds for 10 rounds, that's pleanty of time to find the center. i can't see bullet holes very well at 75', yellow glasses will help.

3. cc rider

cc rider

Thank you, sir...I will take your advice and report back.

4. vmw

vmw

Get yourself a D-2 target and use it while you practice dryfiring (make sure no ammo is in the same room). The D-2 target is a 1:3 version of the D-1 Tombstone that GSSF uses. Ie; D-2 @ 25ft is the same as D-1 @ 25yd. As ede wrote, the middle of the X circle is in the exact center, T-B, L-R, of the scoring area. It's all mental, with a little bit of straight pull trigger control thrown in.

As for glasses, I wear no-line bifocals with 59yr eyes. Been wearing glasses since 'Nam. I shoot with both eyes open, right eye dominant. Years ago I had a pair of yellow tinted shooting only glasses made as follows: The dominant eye is focused at the front sight distance, 24" for me, and the off eye is focused at 50' or infinity. I can see the front sight clearly and with a little mental switching, see the lines on the target, depending on the range lighting.

What works for me might not work for you but I have shot a 500 or two with this setup.

GL - vmw

PS, I believe that the T2 75ft target is shot first to separate the shooters. Rule of thumb, the 500 point match is won at 75ft and lost at 50ft.

5. cc rider

cc rider

I have just ordered some D-1 and D-2 targets and centers for dryfire and livefire, and will put your and ede's other advice to use also.
    I really appreciate your responses and will let you know how things go.

I am sure you two are great Americans.