Indianapolis: Deja vu all over again . . .

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by G7, Jan 2, 2003.

1. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

As one of the RO’s for the Indianapolis GSSF match, I got a letter today from Chris and Scott explaining that due to safety modifications effecting about half of the range:

“The management of Eagle Creek Park Pistol Range has therefore informed us that they cannot host another ‘Hoosier State Regional Classic’ GSSF match for 2003.”
    :(

The good news is if they can find a substitute range, and reach a firm commitment for a Match-date, by 01 Feb, GSSF wants to hold the match.
    :)

I don’t personally know of a good range, hence this letter. Both as a heads-up, and asking for suggestions. (Redbrush near Seymour ?? I think they do SASS matches there, but I’ve never been there.)

You guys know the requirements: Lots of parking. - – 4 to 6 independent bays. - - 35 to 40 in the RO pool. - - Close to the population mass of Indy. - - (No plate racks needed, GSSF has two sets that I know of.) - -

A range that already hosts IDPA or USPSA/IPSC matches should work . . .

Post ideas here ! - Thanks.

2. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Our Range held the USPSA Nationals in 2000 ;I but for some reason Scott will not come to S/W PA ;d cause we HAVE the range and people to run the match. We have 18 pistol bays a 300 yard rifle range + plenty of parking easy to get to off the Pa turnpike (Old Exit 8) so tell Scott we have a range but I bet he will not come ? East Huntingdon Sportsmen and you can look it up under yahoo or IDPA & UPSC web site.

3. Guest

Marion County Fish & Game probably wouldn't do, would it? http://www.indyrange.com

I'm an RO at Eagle Creek, and, believe me, I feel your pain ;g I'm unemployed until they fix whatever's broke :(

Steve

4. wabash

wabash Millennium Member

consider all of Indiana.

Ft Wayne, Evansville, Columbus, Terre Haute, Lafayette, etc.

midwestshooter.com

5. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

We use that range for Dept. qualifications. I spoke with my Lt. the other day and asked if he had heard anything new about the range. He said it was back up and running. I'll send an email to the firearms instructors out there and let ya'll know.

I personally believe the range will be back up and running by spring. There are approx. 5-6 thousand LEO's that qualify twice a year on it. This range being down will put a big wrinkle in how LEO's in Marion Co. get their required hours on the range.

Another range would be Wildcat Valley R&P club in Laffayette. Parking would be a problem though.

6. Guest

Might just be for the LE side of things. Parks Dept usually comes in last for that place :( Beats you all going up to Pendelton, though :cool: I do know the Tac bays weren't involved (well, as sure as I can be, at any rate). It was just the south facing ranges that were closed.

FWIW, YMMV...

Steve

7. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

Yeah, we still had access to the bays.

Supposedly their was alot of bullets landing on the houses south of 56th street. I'm not sure if I buy into that rumor or not. A pistol bullet will loose alot of its energy real quick after hitting that burm. Thats a long distance to travel(about a 1/4-1/2 mile?) after deflecting.

I should have some info for you all after monday. I really hope it's back up and running by spring time. Eagle Creek is my primary handgun practice range as well as the host to GSSF. It could really put a damper on my season.

8. Guest

Cool, any info is appreciated.

Story I heard was someone was jumping the fence ant night and popping off rounds with a 9mm carbine or something from outside the actual firing line, like back by the picnic tables. No way in the world a round fired from the line is going to make it past the baffles. But, I'm just a lowly RO, what do I know ;)

Anyway, if you feel the need to pop a cap or two, let me know, I'll take you over to MCF&G as my guest. I can take one or two folks a couple times a month (I think) without too much trouble. $5.00 for a guest isn't too bad.

Steve

9. mcsd2598

mcsd2598

I wouldn't want to be the idiot to jump the fence and pop off some rounds there after dark. Between the Park Ranger Station and the Sheriff's Dept. Eagle Creek substation being real close, chances of getting a warm welcoming commitee are very high.

10. Guest

True. But most of the Rangers are already away and in District after dark, same with the Deputies, IRRC. Still a Ranger or 2 patrols after dark, but still quite some distance between the stations and the range. 465 in between makes a lot of masking noise, I would think.

Agree though that it takes a special brand of idiot to do something like that ;Q

Hoping I'll get into the next Ranger Reserve class this year. My kind of job :cool:

Steve

11. 40blaster

40blaster

I would hate to see Indy loose it's GSSF match tho I would not miss the swinging overhead hangy things and the big rocks that we had to stand on.
    Seems like I went to a USPSA, Kentucky State match, that was held in southern Indiana, about four years ago. That's just a skip and a jump from Indy. About all I can remember is there was a Holiday Inn, in the little town at the base of the bridge, and Chuck Bradly won the match.
    Good luck and keep the problem on the net and somebody will come up with something.

12. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Has anyone been to the range in Columbus (IND) near the airport ?? They hosted an NRA Action Pistol shoot a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't able to make it.

Is Marion Co. Fish and Wildlife the one with a single firing line - some steel down at the left end, maybe 50 yards in the middle, and a shorter range on the right end ? Do you go under some railroad tracks at the entry ?
    IF SO, then no, there are not enough independent bays to work for GSSF. - Dang it . . .:(

Lafayette? Muncie? Greenwood? Kokomo? Anderson?

If you know of a good range, post it and I'll check it out . . .

13. Dnew

Dnew Just Senior

G7 - Ran into a past Indy RO today, he mentioned a range in Brazil as a possibility...you might add it to your list of checkons. E mail me and I'll give you his name...

Dee;a

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Hey DEE; How the heck are you doing. Sure you wont come to sunny Florida for the Jacksonville and Orlando Matches; sure beats shoveling the snow. I was in central Ohio over Christmas and saw some of the white stuff, not much but plenty for me.

15. Guest

Yep, daggoneit, it is. Fun thought for a while, there, though :(

Steve

16. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

I ran into G7 at the Indy gun show this weekend. I hope something can be found for a temporary home for the 2003 Indiana meet; count me in for admin work if it can be done.

17. wabash

wabash Millennium Member

samurairabbi! who let you out of 8:40 PM? :)

18. Mark Mullineaux

Mark Mullineaux

The USPSA Kentucky State match has been held outside New Albany IN at the Floyd County FOP camp which continues to be a fine facility. This year the Kentucky State match will be held at the Silver Creek Conservation club outside of Sellersburg In (Oct 11th and 12th), while not as nice as the FOP camp it is improving. There are several ranges in the I65 corridor that could host the event although some of the more elaborate targets would have to be brought in. If there is any interest in moving away from Indy, I might be able to help in making the connection.

a link to some of our available activities can be found at practicalshooters.com.

19. ChrisK

ChrisK

Wildcat Valley near Brookston would be a great place. I know they shoot IDPA.

20. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

Chris:

Yeah, Wildcat's a great facility (and my home range), but there's no way a GSSF match is gonna happen there this year. The bureaucratic red tape required to do ANYTHING at that range is incredible! Proposals, committee approvals, votes by the membership, etc... takes forever. We're hosting IDPA midwest regional championships this year, but the planning and approval process started LAST summer! GSSF needs to have a location for the "Indy" match by *March* so it can be put on the schedule!