Indiana Trooper down

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by absrio, Jul 6, 2007.

1. absrio

absrio

For ones who have not seen it yet...

"UPDATED: Peru trooper killed

Suspect shot David Rich then killed himself

Associated Press

WABASH — A state trooper who had stopped to help who he believed was a stranded motorist was shot and killed Thursday along a northern Indiana highway, state police said.

Master Trooper David Rich was fatally shot in the chest by a Michigan man who then reloaded the shotgun and killed himself, state police Sgt. Tony Slocum said.

The shooting happened along U.S. 24 about 4 p.m., Slocum said. The shooter was identified as a 21-year-old man from Gaylord, Mich., but his name was not immediately released.

Slocum said the man was driving a sport-utility vehicle that his father had reported stolen on Wednesday.

Rich, 41, was an 18-year veteran of the state police and was a detective assigned to the Peru post. He was married with a 7-year-old daughter and twin 3-year-old sons, and was the son of former Miami County Sheriff Jack Rich, who is a retired state trooper.

The shooting prompted authorities to shut down the four-lane highway in both directions around the scene about 40 miles southwest of Fort Wayne for more than two hours.

Rich is the first state trooper killed in a line-of-duty shooting since Trooper Scott Patrick was fatally shot in December 2003 after he stopped to a check a vehicle parked on exit ramp along Interstate 80-94 in Gary."

Kokomo Tribune

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

So sad.

The trooper was off duty, out of uniform, in an unmarkd car, and not wearing a vest. Shows what kind of a person he was to stop and help someone while not on duty. Our thoughts to his family.

:fallenofficer:

3. epsylum

epsylum Guest

The shooters body should be publicly displayed for all to spit/urinate upon it and then dumped in the woods for the animals to eat. The bastard doesn't deserve a grave.

4. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

5. sjstill

sjstill Guest

R.I.P., Trooper Rich.

The leftards on the Indy Star forums are pissing & moaning about gun control already :soap:

6. teamplayer

teamplayer Guest

If he was not identifiable as a LEO before the miscreant shot him, this is a sobering lesson to any of us good samaritans. Conversely, if he was identifiable, it is a sobering lesson to off-duty LEO's not wearing body armor.

7. dwh79

dwh79

I bet as soon as he saw the car and was going to stop and help he flipped his lights on because the scene was captured on his dash cam I believe and I think those turn on when they flip the lights on. Also most cops I see stop to help whether on duty or not always flip there lights on to give others notice there is something going on on the shoulder. May God Bless Officer Rich and his family.

8. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Prayers for his family. I hate reading horrible news like this. The world just isn't right.

If someone see's info on a trust fund for the kids, please post it.

9. sjstill

sjstill Guest

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Thanks! Seems like we have to do this far too often.

11. fire1035

fire1035 Guest

Well three of us from the Indy Fire Pipes and Drums made our way up to play the funeral along with the guys from the Lake County Sheriff's band and the Fort Wayne Police/Fire bands. Always a shame when we have to do these. Lots of LEOs there though. I saw troopers from as far away as Texas in the procession. I felt really bad for the kids, at least the twins are young enough to not really understand completely what is happening.

At least the scumbag took care of himself so we don't have to deal with him and listen to him whine about how mommy and daddy didn't love him enough when he was little so he just had to shoot a cop.

12. absrio

absrio

Guys at work stated there was at least one officer from Washington State i think it was. I was gonna go but had to work.

13. fire1035

fire1035 Guest

I heard there were some from WA state, but I didn't see them.