Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was on ABC today's news.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/indiana-p...ootage-officer-accidentally/story?id=60329163

Female officer was shoot in the back above her vest, by her male officer partner. Last report she was in critical but stable condition.

No charges filed, no time off, as it was ruled an accident.

MORE TRAINING FOR THE WHOLE DEPARTMENT MAY BE NEEDED. ESPECIALLY, WHEN WORKING WITH A PARTNER.

What was finger doing on the trigger? May have been a good reason, if the dog was trying to attack him.........., I did not see a dog attacking, especially that the height of the partners back.

Scary when these things occur

·
Massive Member
25,423 Posts
Finger on trigger, startle response to dog attack caused clench if I had to guess.

Also should know your partner is on other side of a door and not flag them... though that could have been a moment of inattention while turning to face the dog, hard to fault that part if that’s what happened.

I suppose he could have only put finger on trigger in response to dog attack too, rather than “normal” conditions prior to that.

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
Of course it was negligence, unless the dog somehow pulled the trigger. Negligence and accident are not mutually exclusive.

Definition of negligence: failure to take proper care in doing something.

·
Registered
20,943 Posts
Part of the problem with working static ranges is everyone gets it ingrained to always keep the weapon pointed "down range". In the real world that is not always the safest since your partner, innocents, etc are down there. Training in a different environment (cars / movement / buildings etc) helps some.

I don't know if that was a contributing factor in this or not though.

·
Unfair Facist
26,891 Posts
They used to stress in training that you NEVER point a firearm at anything you are not prepared to shoot/kill. And NEVER have your finger on the trigger unless you are about to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
There is no acceptable reason for having your gun pointed at your partners back. Finger on the trigger or not.
I can buy that the muzzle moved up when the dog hit him from behind. The finger? That's precisely why we keep it off the damn trigger.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
What are they teaching these day's? Rules are: Always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Negligent discharge. Needs discipline and re-training.

·
"Cynical Little me"
7,171 Posts
There is no acceptable reason for having your gun pointed at your partners back. Finger on the trigger or not.
Yup. He must be the Chief's nephew for not at least catching time for that. I saw a frame or two earlier where that finger was drifting towards the trigger, but as Dragoon said the weapon should never be pointed like that.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Another reason I don't like a weapon light on attached to my weapon. Keep the barrel pointed down and finger off trigger, until ready to aim and fire.

Sure pointing a firearm at the suspects intimidates them, but can get you charges, including prison time. Also, you won't be able to claim or blame the training officer's
ill-advised training as a defense.

We had training officer tell our class to shoot to kill if a person tried to escape. We reported this bad advice, and the last time I heard, the trainer now says, "Shoot for center mass". This could still be a problem.
What will the judge and the jury say when the facts are presented, and an officer has followed bad and unacceptable advice??

·
Premium Member
26,031 Posts
Part of the problem with working static ranges is everyone gets it ingrained to always keep the weapon pointed "down range". In the real world that is not always the safest since your partner, innocents, etc are down there. Training in a different environment (cars / movement / buildings etc) helps some.

I don't know if that was a contributing factor in this or not though.
I will admit the first time I took active training on a hot range (270 degree targets). They said as close to 360 degree as is safe without $$$$$. Learned a lot from those classes. Everyone yelled at safety mistakes. Mainly " finger off trigger, or MUZZLE"
If not shooting a narrow safe area to observe, load mags... Sneaking off to side to piss was not allowed, or safe. I was amazed it didn't feel unsafe.
edit to remove suggestion he partner with former MN Somali Officer...

·
Registered
20,943 Posts
I will admit the first time I took active training on a hot range (270 degree targets). They said as close to 360 degree as is safe without $$$$$. Learned a lot from those classes. Everyone yelled at safety mistakes. Mainly " finger off trigger, or MUZZLE"
If not shooting a narrow safe area to observe, load mags... Sneaking off to side to piss was not allowed, or safe. I was amazed it didn't feel unsafe.
edit to remove suggestion he partner with former MN Somali Officer...
Wait till you do it inside a car with a partner

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
There was a whole lotta wrong with that BWC footage. I think I spent half the viewing time with my mouth agape . . .

Reactions: Slotback and pgg00
1 - 18 of 18 Posts