"Indian Summer" Bay Area, Ca. Best Time Of Year

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Oct 21, 2019.

1. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Indian Summer was my favorite time as well.

The only downside was we lived in SF and didn’t have AC. Normally we could count on the onshore winds and open windows for cooling on warm days.

During Indian Summers in SF, many times the onshore breeze couldn’t be counted on and it could make for some uncomfortable nights trying to sleep in a very warm house.

But in general, it was pretty grand weather wise.

cyberghostx13 and deputy tom like this.
  2. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I lived here since 1978(Reagan Country then) after moving from Northern Illinois. I had always loved the west since I was a kid watching those western movies, the mountains and the horses especially. Joining the USMC at 17(Parents Co-Signed) I told the recruiter that I wouldn't join lessen he guaranteed that I go to MCRD San Diego. This wasn't an outrageous request as my brother had joined the Marines a few years earlier and went to San Diego. Illinois was one of a few states where it was like 50/50 of Parris Island or San Diego. Anyway he agreed and my parents signed.

When I returned from Vietnam and got my Honorable Discharge in 1969 financial times were very tough, but when the mid 70s oil crisis hit jobs got a whole lot harder to find. It was tough, I was a combat warrior and yet still living at my parents house until 29 years old. Anyway, it wasn't hard to convince myself to try my luck in California.

So enough about that, I'm excited again and Indian Summer has me all hyped again. Temperature is 85 right now (2:30pm)with wind 8mph. So pretty soon I'll be grillin' the other half of that first Filet-Mignon on my "Little Smokey". I will start a little earlier to accommodate the WS that will start around 5:30pm to 6:00pm(After all the first game hoopla is over).

Pretty soon it will be time to "Play Ball". I always watch the World Series even if my team isn't in it it. It's all part of "Fall" and "Indian Summer". Sure I like both college and pro football better but always make it a point to watch the series. It's more casual and laid back to watch than football. Anyway, there's no competion tonight to watch the series. I root for the underdog ifin my team ain't in it, and the Naionals are truly the underdog here, I don't think they have ever even been to a series let alone win one. Any hey, the Nats are da bomb in the late innings 7-9. Sayonara.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Jade Falcon likes this.

3. cyberghostx13

Well it was real nice yesterday as "Indian Summer" really getting into full swing it got to be around 84 degrees with narry a breeze. Today will be warmer yet, gettin' on the hot side as temps will be gettin' close to 90 degrees with just a tad of a breeze. Right now it's 10:45am and the temp is 79 degrees. I'm gonna take a little ride to the Safeway store to pick up a few things, specifically "French Fries" for a new "French Frier" I bought and will recieve tomorrow from Amazon. It only costs $25.00 and is quite small but great for one or two people. image.jpeg I don't have to go to the store today but Mother Nature is being so very kind right now with such fine "Indian Summer" weather that I get real energetic and a little crazy with it all. Maybe they will have some great cherry pie at the store. I have half a pound of NY Strip leftover from yesterday evenings grilling, so I'll be grillin' again tonight on Lil Smokey. God I love the smell of charcoal burning in the evening.

Pics of local weather today at my place... image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well I hope everyone here has a super great day wherever they live, but I will say a big prayer for all those in the Dallas area, hoping their families, friends, pets, and livestock are ok. Later.

PS: I'm also very, very, happy because today marks two weeks of not smoking cigarettes, goin' cold turkey. Oh ya!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Jade Falcon likes this.
  4. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

C'mon, man. You should know by now we're going to bust your chops about anything California.

Yeah, the weather is something else. Standing in Fisherman's Wharf in 50 degree weather, eating clam chowder out of a sourdough bowl. In summer. Good memories.

I lived in the valley. When it got really hot, the wife and I would load up and head into the Sierras for camping and fishing. Good times.

Glad you're having a good day.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. cyberghostx13

image.jpeg

image.jpeg Well I have to say a very big thanks to "Mother Nature" and her "Indian Summer" days, I did get real energized, I did get a little crazy in going to the local park and also going to the Safeway store(Usaully done online and delivered). I didn't really have to go to Safeway but sure glad I did.

I got 3 Sara Lee Cherry Pies(frozen-large $7.99 normally) at $3.99 each. Oreida French Fries(Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries) the exact kind I wanted. I even bought a large bottle of California. Woodbridge Rose Wine, now that's the crazy part, as I have always(almost) been a beer drinker per say. However the last year I haven't even averaged one drink a night, so I thought why not try some wine.

So I got so much stuff I had my pack full with a few fragile things like the wine and an 8 Pack of Hamburger Buns. Then a large double bagged bag of groceries, strapped by down with 2 bungees on my bike rack over rear tire, like way tight. I also took my belt off and used that just for extra safety, can't be having a load of groceries spill out on the El Camino.

Sure was a great time going to the park and store and I felt like 39 instead of 69...least till I had to walk(walk bike with groceries) up that steep hill with all that stuff I bought. Short but steep. So I'm gettin' ready to grill soon, it's 5:30pm, 87 degrees and calm. I also got some lettuce and Wishbone French dressing, WTF?...I'm supposed to be a "Meat & Potatoes" man.

Finally I celebrated 2 weeks to the day of quitting cigarettes COLD TURKEY...OOORAHHH!

Pics taken before groceries.

Pics of da local park, but it ain't no city park, well it is but is packs a punch for those that seek it, steep, steep hill and dense, dense brush and lots and lots of trees. Oh a little creek runs thru, but pretty dry this time a year. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sayonara.

6. CAcop

CAcop

It was 97 at my house. Only for a few hours. Strange to see leaves starting to turn colors with the heat. It was cool there for awhile.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  7. cyberghostx13

So many different types of trees around here but always a lot of eucalyptus and palm trees. When I got home around 5:30pm it was 87 degrees. I think my area is safe as far as the power being turned off, but one never knows. Yesterday they were showing a map and SF and Penn. were green the rest of the Bay Area was all red. I was even able to grill my final NY Strip. Got the whole shabang together and wahlah, a f***ing salad even(just got lettuce and french dressing) and sat down for a super supper and some Thursday Night Football. image.jpeg

Ahhhh retired life(69yrs) isn't so bad when ya get a little help from Mother Nature. I bought some wine just to try somethin' different(Hey I'm retired, it's what we do). However y'all southerners out there in GT land, make no mistake, I'm still a votin' Trump in 2020, wine or no wine, and that's a fact jack!!! 7:30pm and 75 degrees...Sayonara.

TBO likes this.
  8. nmglock

nmglock

The smell of barbecue and human poo------- no thanks! The whole state is a s***hole.

Joebiker likes this.