independence ammo questions

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 870 ExpressMag, Mar 2, 2010.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag

I have shot a lot of this ammo and i really like it....shot it in 38spcl...357...and 40. First off who makes this and why is it hard to find? (only find it at one gunshop i frequent)

second, up till now all the headstamps have been *I* now the new 4 boxes of 40 i bought are "Blazer" headstamped....i always thought Independence ammo was made by federal, Blazer is CCI...i am confused

2. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

The range I go to usesit as their main brand. Not sure on the headstamp change. Reckon' it was what was available at the time of manufacture.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. Brucev

Brucev

I have purchased Independence brand ammunition from a local ACE Hardware store in .38 Special and .40 S&W calibers. It has been uniformly excellent. I assumed that Independence was the name of the company that produced it. As far as the origin of components that they use, that's anyone guess.

5. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I've only fired one box of it in .45 acp about three years ago. Maybe it's changed, but my experience was horrible. I didn't have it over my chrono, but it was underpowered enough to get soot down the side of the brass (not expanding enough to fit the chamber) it had terrible accuracy and it was filthy. Seriously the worst domestic ammo I've ever shot. Again, maybe it's different now.

ETA: the *I* headstamp brass is fairly brittle and stinks for reloading too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  6. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

First production run of Indep. ammo was made/loaded by CBC (Magtech) of Brazil. Later runs were loaded here in the U.S. in Lewiston, ID. Over the years that Indep was being made with the *I* headstamp, the brass cases were provided by several sources, with Federal Cartridge being one.

Indep ammo with the *I* headstamp is no longer being made and CCI Blazer Brass ammo is being packaged in Indep brand boxes.

Indep brand is owned by CCI which in turn is owned by ATK, the parent company of Federal Cartridge.

7. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag

i never had a problem reloading *I* headstamped 38spcl brass....thanks for the info Merkavaboy....if it's essentially just blazer brass ammo then why market the same stuff in two different boxes?

8. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

There might be contractual reasons why some retailers get the main brand and lessor sellers get the next brand. And some people love/hate a certain brand so much, it's good to have a few options.

Never heard of any problems with it at the range, it sells all day long.

9. geo57

geo57

A local dealer has Independence .40 S&W and the headstamps are " FC " . They use the same 180 gr. plated bullet that was loaded in Blazer Brass loads I had.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

I've used the stuff in .45acp, .38sp and .357 mag, all performed really well for me. Good solid range ammo.

11. redmanlives

redmanlives

If you look at the top of this page you will se one of the sponsors , Palmetto State Armory. They sell 9MM for $11.50 a box or $225. for 1000 rounds

12. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker

The 158 grain JSP 357 Magnum ammo I picked up are loaded with the Speer UniCore bullet. I got a good deal on them before the price hike and found that thry run just fine in my SP 101.