Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out here.

I am 5'8 162# carrying a Glock 26 (sometimes G23) in an RM "Low Rider" holster at about 4:00.

I bought a 5.11 casual leather gun belt last year and although it seemed to work early on, it broke down and was unable to properly support my gun. After talking with several of you about a new gun belt, i decided on a Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch. I really like the belt and supports my gun better than that 5.11 I had. Something I notice though is that I cant seem to "forget" I am carrying like many people claim they do. This seems to really only be true in the summer when I am wearing my khaki shorts, which is about 95% of the time. It still seems to feel like a brick is on my side. I dont notice it nearly as much when I am wearing jeans with a tucked in shirt, but when I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt i do. Unfortunately, it is making me almost want to leave the gun home, which is what i DONT want to do.

Can someone help me find a way to increase the comfort of carrying?

They say to add an inch of pant size for carrying - DONE (actually added a few inches on some shorts)
They say to get a good holster - DONE
Gun belt - DONE

One thing I wonder is the style holster I have has one main clip, therefore putting all the weight on one spot. Would a holster such as an Alien Gear or Crossbreed Super Tuck be better as it is wider, and has 2 clips therefore distributing the weight across more area??

I find myself having to pull my shirt down more than Id like in public too, somehow my shirt seems to hang up a little bit...not sure why.

I like my G26 and dont really WANT to go to something like a G43 because it is lighter, but is this my only option?

I do appreciate any help you guys have. I have only been carrying for a year and, honestly, have only used this holster. Thanks fellas!!

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
You need two well spaced clips or loops to spread the weight and make the holster thin. The most comfortable carry method is OWB though.

· Registered
6,957 Posts
I'll disagree ave tried a lot and have found the most comfy way for me to carry is by wearing pants a little loose in the waist and carrying in a very minimal kydex appendix IWB. If your body type lends itself to that, and yours sounds like it may, you may want to try that out. Some people have a natural crease there, some don't.

· Registered
368 Posts
Couple of simple suggestions. I carry a 26, 5'10. 185. My AG 2.0 works very well at 4:30-5:00. Try moving your holster position slightly. AG won't break the bank and is well worth it. (2 clips make a big difference) I also use a sticky holster more recently at 1:30 aiwb, drove 12 hours this past sat and suprised how comfortable. Now I have also a g-code eclipse that I use for aiwb, great quality holster but not comfortable while sitting, the bottom bites into my skin. By the way I also carry my PPQ with the AG and is pretty comfortable so you should be able to pull it off. Personally there never is a time that while wearing "I don't know it's there"' to me that exaggeration by others imo

· NRA Life Member
5,785 Posts
I'm with PattonWasRight...

My most comfortable carry right now (after almost 20 years of CCW) is appendix. Accessible while driving or riding my recumbent bike, and the holster is an Uncle Mike's #12 for a G26/G27. A whopping $20 for that holster! :)

My second favorite method is using the Comptac, Crossbreed, or Alienwear style holsters that are much more comfortable.

Then there is the Thunderwear/Smartcarry options, but they do take some time and practice to get used to...

That's my story now, and I'm stickin to it till I change it! :)

Hope that help ya out,

· Registered
17,442 Posts
I use this...

http://www.activeprogear.com/10_driving_holster.html

Have one for LCR, one for PM9 with LaserGuard. T-shirt tucked and OWB is one belt notch looser than T-shirt out and OWB.

LCR seems to disappear under the untucked T than the PM9. Maybe due to grip shape.

A lot of holsters were tried and found wanting before I found these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,452 Posts
A light, close-fitting undershirt may help reduce irritation. Also, I agree that a single-clip holster is inadequate for the weight of a loaded G-26. For your style of carry with a G-26, the Crossbreed is a superior choice.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the help guys. I've never wore a holster with a backing material on it, so going to a holster style like a Crossbreed or Alien Gear will be different at first. If it's the style that'll make the difference, I might try an Alien Gear. Wanted to get this problem out of the way because I also like carrying my G23 and hopefully someday a G30S, and if I can't figure out the lighter 26 it'll be an even bigger problem with those.

· Registered
368 Posts
Thank you for all the help guys. I've never wore a holster with a backing material on it, so going to a holster style like a Crossbreed or Alien Gear will be different at first. If it's the style that'll make the difference, I might try an Alien Gear. Wanted to get this problem out of the way because I also like carrying my G23 and hopefully someday a G30S, and if I can't figure out the lighter 26 it'll be an even bigger problem with those.
I also have a g30s which I carry in AG as well, so totally doable and pretty easy to cc. That's one of the best features with their holsters is that you can just get an extra shell for $15 for a different gun. You can also ajust the cant and how deep to conceal the gun.

· Registered
45,276 Posts
I carried a G27 with 15 round mag, a 4" .357 Magnum, and now a Fn 5.7 in Crossbreed, or Alienwear style holsters with Beltman type quality belts.

A gun belt is often underrated as to its contribution to comfort. I wear T shirt (no undershirt) and jeans in the summer and Sweatshirt and jeans in the Winter. I prefer my belt tight. I have never been "outed" in any situation, including a BBQ with "security personnel".

I can tell you positively, that I do not notice my pistol for the majority of the day. I carry every moment I'm up, always. Position, cant and height all contribute to comfort. Time will put you at ease carrying your firearm. Good quality components are necessary for ease of carry and comfort. Don't cheap out, it will come back to haunt you later.

I find that "don't give a damn if it prints" helps considerably to CCW. Attitude is more important than anything. If you worry, everyone will wonder why.

Reactions: IndyGunFreak

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i think I've decided on buying an Alien Gear holster. Might spend the extra couple bucks and get the 3.0. Hoping this solves my issue. If it doesnt, they have the 30-day return policy, so i cant really lose I suppose. I know some have mentioned AG doesnt completely cover the trigger guard. Hope its not a true concern.

· Registered
368 Posts
I think you'll be very happy with the AG. If you can you should get the 3.0, I recently just ordered one for my sig 229 and looking forward to comparing the 3.0 vs 2.0. Everything I've read is that the 3.0 has improved on the 2.0.

· Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think you'll be very happy with the AG. If you can you should get the 3.0, I recently just ordered one for my sig 229 and looking forward to comparing the 3.0 vs 2.0. Everything I've read is that the 3.0 has improved on the 2.0.
Have u had any concerns with the Kydex not completely covering the trigger guard?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.