GlockTalk Forum banner

321 - 340 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Whenever I talk to a waiter, even in a fast food joint, I always ask for what I want, as in "may I please have a burrito". Never, ever demand, like "gimme a cheese danish and a bottle Capt. Morgan", always request. It goes a long way, and I like the civil exchange with whoever is handling my food. To that end, the thing I hate is when I say "thank you" to a waiter or anyone else, and they come back with "no problem". I didn't ask you if it was difficult or inquire about the level of your effort... I don't even really care if what you did was easy for you, I was expressing gratitude. This correct and expected response is "You're welcome".

Hate it hate it hate it.
some cultures say the equivalent of its nothing. agreed a simple your welcome would do.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
mostly coloquialisms amuse me more than anything and I know I am and have been guilty of them as well so hard to fault others too much.

in two midwestern cities many liked to ask: are you coming with? should I bring my notebook with? my kids' teachers and many people spoke this way particularly in MN but also somewhat in WI.

I wonder if it has to do with german or scandahoovian sentence structure -- the heratage of these areas?

Worked with an educated and well spoken fellow who asked me "we're going to lunch do you want to come with?" I waited silently, looking him in the eye. He said well?! I am just waiting for you to finish your sentence. (he knows the same old jokes I know) and said: We are going to lunch, would you like to come with, ass****? Why thank you, I'd be delighted!:supergrin: we both had a good laugh -- I set him up for the old where is the harvard library at joke.

·
Limp Member
1,264 Posts
I hate . . . irregardless, hit the plause button, supposably, Dezember, oragano for oregano. Is it really so hard to learn the proper word?

·
Non-broccophobe
13,838 Posts
In Northern New Mexico, we have some really interesting colloquialisms:

Instead of "I got out of my truck" it is "I got down from my truck."
"These ones?"

"Bueno, bye."
Carry over from the days of stagecoaches and horseback, maybe?

·
BTDT
2,500 Posts
"Know what I'm sayin."

"Word."

·
back again
2,269 Posts
mostly coloquialisms amuse me more than anything and I know I am and have been guilty of them as well so hard to fault others too much.

in two midwestern cities many liked to ask: are you coming with? should I bring my notebook with? my kids' teachers and many people spoke this way particularly in MN but also somewhat in WI.

I wonder if it has to do with german or scandahoovian sentence structure -- the heratage of these areas?

Worked with an educated and well spoken fellow who asked me "we're going to lunch do you want to come with?" I waited silently, looking him in the eye. He said well?! I am just waiting for you to finish your sentence. (he knows the same old jokes I know) and said: We are going to lunch, would you like to come with, ass****? Why thank you, I'd be delighted!:supergrin: we both had a good laugh -- I set him up for the old where is the harvard library at joke.
I think you hit it with the German heritage.

Kommst Du mit? Are you coming with?

Wie geht's Dir? How's it going?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Glotin -

Are you saying we should give a break to the journalist, who is a gun layman, that calls a magazine a clip. We, as experts in firearms, don't.

Dictionary entries are driven by common use, not technical correctness. Dictionaries even promote ignorance. Recently, several derogatory slang words have been added.

Lots of mistakes out there in all areas. Some people call a spider an insect. Or to an entomologist, ladybugs are not bugs.

I learn by listening to people on firearms forums. There are several details I've misunderstood for years that have been cleared up. For example, I assumed recoil springs are designated by their spring rate. Turns out that's not true. The rate can be derived from the spring's "weight" and the configuration of the gun the spring is designed for.

Advocating and supporting ignorance just because it's common is not what this thread is about.
I'm neither advocating nor supporting ignorance.

Your example is invalid because you're comparing the replacement of a technical term with a different technical term to the replacement of one word with a synonym.

Whether you like it or not, the definition of velocity only involves a vector in Mechanics.

Again, the word originates from the Latin word for speed.

·
Shrug Life
2,454 Posts
I've thought of another one, but you'd only ever notice it written.

"I should/would of..." instead of I should/would have...

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I've thought of another one, but you'd only ever notice it written.

"I should/would of..." instead of I should/would have...
I will admit I SAY it this way "should ov, would ov, could ov", but I never, EVER write it that way.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A reporter used upcoming. The publisher sent a memo. If I see upcoming one more time, I'll be down coming and you will be out going.

·
Am Yisrael Chai
34,827 Posts
the phrase "word to your mother, yo, let's get out of here" in song lyrics. :whistling:

(yeah, I'm dating myself with this one... ;) )

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
"Dont break that, Im reliable for it". Drives me crazy! We have a lady here who uses reliable instead of liable.

·
Registered
630 Posts
and whatnot

321 - 340 of 359 Posts