close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Incident in NYC tonight, critique

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Lohtse, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Lohtse

Lohtse

Hi, sorry about the long post, just trying to get it all out. Advice and criticism are welcomed!

My wife and I were headed home from the gym tonight on our bikes and headed across town (East on 18th Street in Manhattan) when a late model white car veered towards my wife and a guy inside leaned out and shouted something profane. Then the car sped off down the street.
    After making sure my wife was OK, I sprinted down the street after the car to get their license plate. The guys in the car must have seen me following them and once they realized they were going to get stuck at the light, they pulled over.

I stopped as far back from them as I could, maybe twenty feet.
    Two guys jumped out of the car and ran towards me yelling things like: “You want to go? Come on! “

I thought I was on an episode of the Jersey Shore!

At this point, my adrenaline is going. I’m trying to get out of my bike pedal, declining their invitation to fight, memorizing their license plate, and looking for my cell phone. I notice that there are three more guys in the back seat.
    After getting within seven or eight feet of me, when it’s clear I’m not going to start swinging, they yell at me for a bit and then get back in their car and race off.

Like a damned fool, I decide I want their picture/license plate number so I follow them to the next light, staying farther back, and get a picture of their car (which I then failed to save!).

They must have seen me taking the picture because they immediately ran a couple of lights, finally heading off west on 17th Street.

Then I called 911 and gave a description, including their license plate, to the officers.

Critique:
    I’ve been back living in NYC for a few years and honestly, I’ve let my guard down here. The city is so safe right now that I’ve lost a lot of situational awareness. When I lived in another state, I had a CCW and carried my firearm regularly, as well as a flashlight, pepper spray, and a cell phone. I was well prepared and something about carrying a gun may have helped focus me on the fact that the world is dangerous.

Anyhow, I clearly shouldn’t have chased the car in the first place, or if I had, I should have been much more careful to stay back and keep my distance. Once they stopped, I should have turned and gotten the hell out of there. Unlike during my CCW days, I had no idea which pocket had my cell phone and I couldn’t find it when I was distracted by the confrontation. I didn’t have pepper spray or any other less lethal tools. I had a pocket knife that was fairly accessible but it honestly never occurred to me to pull it out. There were two of them, I suppose a disparity of force might have existed if they had both jumped me or, even worse, the other three guys had gotten out of the car.

Any advice? I’m not very happy how I handled this incident and I’m going to use it as a wake-up call. I had a number of chances to disengage and passed them all up to stand around at the mercy of two juiced up young toughs.

2. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

It appears you learned a valuable lesson at a relatively low cost. I have nothing to add, except to say I'm glad you and your wife weren't harmed.

3. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Even if you did have there license plate number, what good will that do? The police aren't going to do anything. They just said some nasty things and took off. Lesson learned and hope you don't try anything like this in the near future.

4. DaveGT

DaveGT

You've already beaten yourself up enough in your post.

Learning experience for sure, sounds like you are taking the lessons learned to heart.

It is hard to justify the potential of making your wife a widow just because a fool yelled something at her.......

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

:rofl: In the future if some D-bags yell crap at you just ignore it and let it slide.

Think of how much trouble it would cause you in your life if the **** heads attacked you and you had to shoot them (assume you have a CCW). edit:read rest of post, well you should have been packing. :wow:

6. Just1More

Just1More

Looks like you missed a good opportunity to draw your gun.

7. Max1775

Max1775 Marine Infidel

Lesson learned. Let idiots be idiots. You can't fix stupid, and inciting it only makes the situation worse. Next time, just let them drive off even if your blood is boiling.

8. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Folks he's in NYC he doesn't have a CCW! Unless he's a well connected politico! Or LE!:rofl:

9. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

...or a celebrity...

10. Lohtse

Lohtse

I'm only famous in my house!

Thanks for the comments.

For what it's worth, the police responded (something like six officers!) and were very professional and helpful. They may not catch the guys or be able to do anything really, but they were very kind to my wife and I, which I appreciated.

Now I've got to get my head out of my ***!

11. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

As long as you and your wife is OK at the end of the day thats a good thing. Next time be a little more cautious. those a-holes may have weapons. Thankfully you and your wife are fine. Don't beat yourself up to much. :wavey:

12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Glad you and wife are OK.

Based on the above quote, are you sure you don't work for NYC, in their tourism office? Just saying. :whistling:

13. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

this reminds me of a quote

Play stupid games ,win stupid prizes,

What would you have won if everything went perfect, got licence plate and cops arrive and get the bad guys for ????????? yelling out the window at her?

even if you had a means to protect yourself this would not be a reason to follow and engage people.

Lucky nothing bad came of this. I know every body says how safe the city is, it is still the same place with the same people. talk to some cops and ask them how safe it is, stop by the local hospital and speak to gaurd at the er entrance and ask him what he sees

Your lucky they didnt make 3 rights and come back behind you and hit you with the car

It also remind me of the saying from Sean Connery about bring a knife to a gun fight

Stay safe

You might of gotton your testostrone worked up to too high a level at the gymn

Stay smart

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Being unarmed,......I believe you should have just let it go.
    You got lucky,......a few times!

15. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Yelp...you should leave the car chasing to dogs. :dog: NYC has more than its fair share of dangerous people. Macho behavior can get a person seriously injured...or killed.

16. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Nothing to add above what the GT brain trust has already offered… but the comment below did remind me of an incident that happened many years ago.

A friend was leaving work late one when two thugs with knives approached him in the parking lot and demanded his money. He pulled back his jacket to retrieve his billfold to comply with the robbers when one of them saw his belt mounted cell phone and yelled, “He’s got a gun!”… Both immediately ran off.

If the thugs in your situation did mistake your cell phone for a gun, I’m glad they ran and did not return the threat in kind.

Stay safe.

17. Patchman

Patchman Florist

But on a serious note, you bring up an interesting point and reminds me of the adage that if all you have is a hammer, then all problems look like nails. So if this exact event occured where you previously lived, where you had a CCW and carried daily, what would you have done differently? Draw on them? I do believe that the initial incident, where these yahoos drove by screaming curses at your wife, is considered "free speech" and protected under the 1st Amendment (believe it or not!).

18. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If I recall correctly, in NYC shouting obscene things are WIMMEN you don't know is some low level misdemeanor.

I might be (again) talking out my ***, but there was a female construction worker that won a harrassement claim against some UNKNOWN guys (not co-workers) who whistled and jeered at her one time (no, not at band camp! :))

Still, for me that would have been one of those times I let things completely go. I've had enough REAL interactions with police and the law. I understand how cumbersome, onerous and paperwork heavy the law is. I only the law when it really is only necessary.

'Drew

19. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Without first reading the other responses, my first reaction is... You chased a car full of guys because one of them yelled something profane while hanging out the window??? To me, that's crazy. That's just going LOOKING for trouble. Get their license plate? For what reason? To report to the police that a guy yelled something profane? If police arrested people for profanity, I don't think there would be too many free people walking around. :)

If I'm misunderstanding the scenario, let me know.

20. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I disagree with the implication of this statement. If I WAS armed, I'd ALSO let it go. Discretion is the better part of valor. Someone screaming an obscenity at you while driving by is not a reason to engage at all, in any way, shape, or form.