In today's economy, is $15/hour a decent job?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Idontplaynice, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Idontplaynice

Idontplaynice

Let's say living in Anytown, Texas and being single with no dependents or really bad habits (except for guns)

2. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

$15 is better that $0 :wavey:

3. RCP

RCP

Sounds good, better than collecting unemployment

4. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

In Texas, unemployment is paying about 12 an hour.

Asking if a salary is "good" or not is a whole lot like asking if a tattoo hurts. You're going to get many different answers from people in different places in thier life.

If I had to live on 15 an hour I would have to COMPLETELY revamp my entire way of life. I would not be able to even nearly survive on that kinda dough.

When I lived in New Orleans 15 years ago that would have been a King's ransom, however.

5. SIERRA SIX

SIERRA SIX

I wish i got $15.00 an hour!

6. MedicOni

MedicOni

I'm an EMT, I will never make that much unless I work for a hospital or as a hosemonkey, so I say yea it's good

7. captainstormy

captainstormy

In today's economy any job is a decent job. My fiancée got a layoff when her company went bankrupt. That was in November of 2008. Shes been able to find a few seasonal jobs since then, but still hasn't been able to find a full time job.

Besides 15 bucks an hour for full time employment would work out to about 31K a year. A single person should be able to support themselves on that. Especially if they were good with money.

8. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

$15 an hour is better than nothing. If nothing else it gets your foot in the door. Pay always varies with experience and how skilled the labor is.

9. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

WTF......... I thought they make about $20. :faint:

10. cranejc

cranejc

15/hr = ~32k/yr - very livable for a single person in my neck of the woods. and that with owning a home and a decent vehicle, if you manage your finances.

11. MedicOni

MedicOni

Here in ABQ an EMT makes 9/hr at one service, 6.50/hr at another, and the highest is I think 11/hr. A medic might make 15-20/hr but EMS as a whole doesn't get paid worth crap.

Although I hopefully will make more when I finish my medic

12. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

Depends on your skill set and location. But it's better than nothing :)

13. steve1988

steve1988

I make $15 an hour doing random odd jobs for people who have more money than time. It's enough for me, and beats the hell out of retail/fast food.

14. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

$15/hr is better than being on welfare.

Just total up your bills and go from there. There's always going to be people better and worse off.

Lots of variables - location, car, roommates, education, time at the job, etc.

I pay more for living in a one room apartment by myself than I did in a huge place with a woman.

15. Just1More

Just1More

Hosemonkey...:rofl:

16. MedicOni

MedicOni

I say it with love :p I like EMS too much to ever work supression, plus with a metal rod in my leg I could never make it through the academy.

17. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

For Texas that's decent. Wages in Texas are below many other states. A reflection of their labor pool.

18. Revvv

Revvv

$15 isn't bad if you are single. If you have a family it can be a bit tight, but it is doable. I know several people that make less than this and somehow live very well.

The money you make is important, but more important is how you spend and save. You must resist the urge to buy what you don't need. You have to be cautious about spending. You have to be conservative and save.

Trust me, you don't want to live week to week / day to day because you have a vehicle payment, rent, insurance, utility bills, credit cards, etc. I would prefer to drive an older car, save for the things I want, and put money away for when an emergency arises. $15 an hour can go a long way if you are cautious.

I have been a slave to two car payments, mortgage, credit cards, signature loans, and regular bills. If I took a day off that meant I would get behind on a payment. I was a slave to my debt. NO MORE!!!

19. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

My PD starts out at $10 an hour and top out for a patrolman is around $15 so I can say it's livable but it also depends on the area. Around my area you could get by on $8 an hour if you budgeted well and only paid for essentials.

20. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

There are a LOT of people making less than $15 an hour and living OK.

On $15 an hour, I was making car payment, modest rent, another bill several hundred large, and going overseas an average of about twice a year. I wasn't buying toys during that period, but if a person didn't have my "extra" bill and wasn't paying to send themselves on international missions, they could live fairly high on the hog and still amass a very respectable savings. If you're driving a modest car you paid cash for instead of making payments (I was driving an insane number of miles every year, so I bought new... but was on top of my note the entire time), you can save even more.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010