In the News: Lebonon, The Rest of The Story

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Borg Warner, Aug 6, 2020.

1. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

This was only 2 tons, Just for reference, just imagine what it was like being within a mile of 2700 tons..... 5F3DA35E-E328-43F4-98A6-5254AFBE07CA.jpeg

Westexas likes this.
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

+1

The DOT HazMat Guide for AN says consider evacuating a half mile for a fire involved cargo of a truckload - about 40,000 pounds or 20 tons.

Deanster and Westexas like this.

3. JW1178

JW1178

What most people living in 1st world countries don't understand is that in most countries, there aren't really any standards, and if there are any, there isn't really any enforcement, and if there is enforcement, they probably don't even know what they are doing in the first place, or just lazy so they don't do their jobs but just in case they do, slip them a $100 bill to go look the other way. Thats why places like Beruit are the way they are.

4. willie_pete

Well, to a point; the US was like that in the 60's.

A company I used to work for was involved in an trucking accident that killed six people ( including three firefighters ) back before the days of DOT placarding. In fact, the accident was one of the reasons for the DOT placarding requirements.

The company made dynamite and other blasting agents. In short, a truckload of dynamite caught fire while the driver was away seeking help for blown tires. The local FD responded to reports of the fire and the load exploded while they were fighting the fire. There was no information on the truck that it was carrying dynamite.

http://www.gendisasters.com/pennsyl...9s-creek-pa-nitrate-truck-explosion-june-1964

" Only twisted wreckage remained of the three fire engines. Nothing was left of the truck carrying the explosives except some metal slivers. Damage reportedly was expected to run close to half a million dollars, including a demolished school valued at $286,000. "

5. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Well at least the stuff hadn't gone bad from being next to all that sea water

Westexas and willie_pete like this.
  6. ray9898

ray9898

LOL...

If no photo exists....proof of a conspiracy
    If a photo exists.....proof of a conspiracy

Slackinoff and ZekerMan like this.
  7. amd65

amd65

When a narrative is being created, it’s interesting to look at the instantaneous “evidence” presented.

8. ray9898

ray9898

LOL...."a narrative".

A silo full of fertilizer caught on fire and did what it does. Someone had a photo of that silo. Nothing strange about that.

Mayhem like Me likes this.
  9. Church Key

Church Key

The 1947 Texas City disaster killed over 500 people. They thought it was a grain ship fire, so a bunch of school kids came to the dock to see the fire; a really sad day.

I lived in Washington, DC when the Mathinson Chemical Company blew up (around 1955) at night, in 15 degree weather. We lived about 8 blocks away. The explosions were like roman candles going off in the air. Like a stupid ass I went down to watch. Now realize what a dumb move. Luckily, no major explosion, just a lot of small stuff. No way I ever considered joining the fire dept. after that.

10. willie_pete

The former owner of the MV Rhosus questioned in Cyprus.

https://www.businessinsider.com/beirut-explosion-russian-igor-grechushkin-questioned-cyprus-2020-8

" The 43-year-old is based in Limassol, Cyprus, according to multiple reports in local media there. The island state is a common haunt for wealthy Russians. "

" Cyprus police spokesperson Christos Andreou told MailOnline that the interview lasted several hours. "He is not facing any charges, nor is it likely that he will," he said. "

BTW, nice ride ( the M/C not the boat ).

11. willie_pete

Houston, we may have a problem.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/explosives-expert-only-matter-time-175737216.html

"Dr Babrauskas said: “There have been 70 major incidents in 100 years. They were all down to fires and poor storage. The solution is simple: store it in non-combustible buildings, and ensure there is nothing else in the storage area.”

" In the aftermath of the Beirut catastrophe, Australians were first to voice fears they might be next. Up to 12,000 tonnes of the chemical are stored at the explosives giant Orica's Kooragang plant in Newcastle, New South Wales.

Explosives expert Tony Richards told the Sydney Morning Herald that there was enough ammonium nitrate stored at the plant to obliterate Newcastle.“If that went off, people in Sydney [more than 160km away] would say ‘what the hell was that?’ And the answer would be: it used to be Newcastle,” he said. "

IamtheNRA and Deanster like this.
  12. willie_pete

Well, this pretty much explains it for me.

Stupidity

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...r-port-worker-says-fireworks-stored-in-hangar

" Dozens of bags of fireworks were stored in the same hangar as thousands of tonnes of ammonium nitrate at Beirut’s port and may have been a decisive factor in igniting the explosive chemical compound that fuelled Tuesday’s huge explosion, a former port worker and other sources have told the Guardian."

" As the person on the silo roof films the north end of the warehouse from their vantage point, the smoke thickens and then a dozen or so white flashes can be seen occurring in rapid succession inside, triggering thicker red flames that quickly spread southwards before detonating a major explosion in the building within seconds that causes the person filming to duck for cover.

Shehadi said he had spoken to former colleagues at the port who said workers were attempting to fix a gate outside warehouse 12 with an electrical tool ahead of the blast. “This was at 5pm, and after 30 minutes they saw smoke. Firefighters came, and so did state security. Everyone died.” "

IamtheNRA and Deanster like this.
  13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

That was anfo , which is much more powerful than AN , I have never seen A 2700 ton ANFO shot .2700 tons of ANFO would have leveled that building still standing at the port.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  14. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

I was just about to post referring to Hanlon's Razor, but I have invoked it on GT in so many threads I am sounding like a broken record.

(For you younguns, that reference means I repeat myself in a rather annoying manner.)

Slackinoff, Deanster and willie_pete like this.
  15. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Everyone's against intrusive government regulations, till someone stores a couple thousand tons of explosives next to fireworks in a flammable building with no sprinklers and people welding nearby, and levels half your city.

JW1178, Slackinoff, IamtheNRA and 2 others like this.
  16. willie_pete

Yeah, it just depends on whose ox is getting gored.

Inyo Tim and Deanster like this.
  17. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

18. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

I'm surprised that building is still standing at all. Of course, it will have to be demolished, anyway, because it's so heavily damaged.