In the Name of Service......

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by HomeLandPatriot, Feb 28, 2010.

1. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

"The Pacific", the new 10 part mini series from Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg starts March 14th on HBO. As a parallel story taking place while the original Band of Brothers is taking place, it follows the story of a couple Marines in the fight against Japan. Over ten years of production went into this series, and it looks amazing. They finally released a short teaser scene, and it looks :supergrin:.

So in the name of true American service and sacrifice, a million thanks to those who fought then to solidify our prosperity today.

So......who's gonna watch?!

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

If it is half as good as BoB, I will buy it once out on DVD. I don't have HBO.

3. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

From the clips I've seen, it is supposed to be even better than BoB.

For those that have Comcast cable, I know they are offering free HBO for a while, and The Pacific will be on On Demand with this free subscription.

4. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I'm in.... Dad was B24 pilot based in Italy, not Pacific theatre, but still, anything involving WWII is of great interest to me. Wife dreads when BoB is on, cause it always gets watched or tivo'd.

Randy

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  5. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I am definitely watching it.... I watched BoB and bought the boxed (canned?) set and have great hopes for this new series.

6. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

We'll be watching. Father-in-law served in the Pacific. I have a Nambu he "collected".

7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I only have basic cable, and am not a TV watcher. Will wait for it to come out on DVD. It's only been 60 or so years since the end of the War in the Pacific and people are already trying to re-write history. The dropping of the 2 A-bombs were cruel and unnecessary? Read up on the Pacific campaigns.

8. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Rewrite history? I'm sure people have tried, but the BoB crew most certainly did and will not. As with the original BoB, direct input from the guys that were there is not only included in the series, but they themselves are inserted into the program. No "combat instructors" are included to make the movie accurate, just the Marines that were on the beaches in 1945.

Not sure what brought on the nuke comment, or who said it was cruel here.....but I'll go ahead and admit I think it was a necessary evil. Not many people realize that 4 were scheduled to be dropped. 1 was turned away at the last second because the pilot didn't want to drop in heavy weather and miss the target ( if I remember correctly it was extreme cloud cover, and the pilot wasn't exactly sure where he was to be precise enough to drop a nuke) and the last was called off as the Japanese surrendered.

Anyway, I have full faith that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg will produce another fine, historically accurate series with the utmost respect to those that were there that day.

9. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

+1 on all that. No HBO for me, but I could not stop watching BoB on DVD. Incredible story, incredibly skillfully told.

10. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

What I took from Patchman's post wasn't that the show was trying to rewrite history, just that some people in society (moreso the liberal "intelligencia" than anyone) are trying to say that the use of the bombs was cruel and unnecessary. Now, I agree that it was terrible, but you're talking about war, and terrible things occur in combat. I will never say that it was unnecessary tho, because that's not what I believe. Most of the people that are weeping for the lives lost due to the bomb have never been in a fight, let alone actual combat, and therefore have no business talking about it.

As for the accuracy of the show, and rewriting history. I don't think that Tom Hanks or the BoB crew did. Having read Stephen Ambrose's book of the same name, the show was pretty much spot on. Granted, certain things were dramatized to make it more entertaining and appeal to a greater audience, but the facts are all there as Ambrose wrote them.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the show, but I fear that like many "sequels", the tone will not be the same, and will therefore be disappointing to me. I hope not tho.

11. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Ah, well if this was the intent of the post then I completely agree and apologize for any misconceptions on my part.

As for disappointments, I don't think that is possible with this series. I don't see this as a "sequel" as it isn't a made up story to compliment "the original." The Pacific has been delayed for about 3 years in post production, trying to make sure every last detail was perfect. After BoB, I don't see Hanks or Spielberg messing this up and soiling the series, or even more important, the men that fought.

I think for Hanks as least, this is a testament to history as much as it is a visually appealing TV series.

12. Morris

Morris CLM

The only thing holding me back is the complete focus on the Marines while apparently failing to view the equal, and in some ways, more intense battles fought by US Army units like the Sunset Division, the Jungleers of the 41st. I admit that my personal bias lies with the Army due to family in the 41st and later serving TACP support to the 41st Brigade of Oregon. However, on balance, I can see where the production team would swing the focus from the Army (BoB) to the Marines of the Pacific.

Many of those boys from the 41st came back to the Northwest to serve as cops and (for that time) firemen. My father in law, served from 42 until 46 when the 41st's colors were closed up and they were sent home from Japan. By 1946, he was a Seattle firefighter, continuing to serve his homeland for another 17 years before medically retiring.

However, one thing I have come to trust is that Hanks and Spielberg will get it as right as they can and that since it is on HBO, there is more latitude in accuracy versus razzle dazzle. Hanks is on record for making genuinely top rated stuff such as his "To the Moon . . " project after his successful work on Apollo 13.

I also do not have HBO but will get the series when released.

13. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

As with BoB, I think we can see some distinct parallels with the Army in The Pacific. In BoB there was an entire CD in the DVD collection devoted to Montgomery and the helping of the British. So I am sure that while the Marines will be the focus, the Naval battles of the Pacific and the Army's contributions won't be overshadowed.

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I cannot wait. I saw the previews, and my cable company has the on demand prequel for it. It's based in part on Sledge's book The Old Breed which was one hell of a book. I cannot wait for it, and am rather anxious to see it. My Grandfather was an aircraft mechanic on Okinawa and several other places. He disappeared for a year after the war, what we'd call PTSD, he needed time to sort things out. He never talked about it to me.

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I'll definitely DVR the whole series. I am hopelessly addicted to Band of Brothers. My grandfather was in the Pacific War and saw some horrible stuff. He has a Japanese officer's Wakizashi (short sword) when they surrendered to him.

16. Morris

Morris CLM

Funny you mention that Lawman. I have posted about Bob here before on GT. One of the thing about him and so many of the Greatest Generation was they they closed up their war memories and wounds and went on with life. Many were successful, some were not.

Bob told NO ONE about his war experiences save me. He told me because I was a man and I was military/combat services. His family went decades not understanding why he refused to eat rice. He only told me that he didn't eat rice because in the field, seeing fresh rice meant someone in his squad or company was about to die. Even his boys, neither who served, ever knew about this. Sadly, when he passed away, his recovered katana/sam sword was given to one of the boys with a history of not caring for things. I have no ideas where that sword is now. Nearly two years after he died, my wife went through some of her father's (Bob's) things that had been boxed up. We found a rising sun flag with inscriptions on it that he likely took as a battlefield trophy. After much discussion, my wife has decided to return the flag to the local Japanese Consulate. I am torn on this but it is her decision. Bob joked he was a "company typist" or "fighting clerk." He mentioned that he humped a typewriter and an M1 Carbine (which he loved for his shorter stature). He trained with a 1903 and later a Garand but he carried the Warbaby. Back in about 1998, I got a CMP Garand and showed it to him. He sort of held the thing, caressed it and you could see some memories passing by. He handed it back and didn't say much else but his eyes spoke volumes of emotions.

I am glad to see that this series is finally being made. It is tragic that so many of that generation have passed away in these last few years. Marines, Navy, Army, Air Corps, Coast Guard, you name it - all did their part so that I could type this today.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Yeah, my grandfather doesn't talk much about those days, but for a long time, I remembered both him and my grandmother would not buy anything Japanese, including televisions, cars, and even their food. Even today, grandmother still does not trust the Japanese. Grandfather never talked too much about what he did and saw.

I asked him from time to time and got some short answers and most of the time, it was just a simple acknowledgement of my question and some short answer that neither confirmed nor denied my statements.

I asked to to have his Wakizashi but he just said it has tasted human blood (the blade has blood stains which turned to rust) and it will always crave it so he doesn't want it ever to come out of the scabbard again. He had the sword sealed in the scabbard permanently.

I bought a Flying Tigers bomber jacket with the blood c-h-i-t (damn cuss filter?) on the back and showed it to my grandfather. He served alongside the AVG as the local ground command officer (radar and weather). He took the jacket from me, looked at it... murmured something about his recollections of the AVG in those early days and passed it back to me with this smile on his face that said all that needed to be said.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010