GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
26,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The specs are no safety, no exposed hammer and 9mm. My question is, which models from the major manufacturers should be avoided? Trying to avoid paying out of the butt for a Glock. Looking for something about G19 size.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
If I had to Carry a pistol everyday I would probably go with a Kahr P9.

Used Glock 19?

Walther P99as

Kahr TP9

·
Registered
155 Posts
FN 509M. It's become EDC. I recommend the APEX trigger, installed by a respected gunsmith. Unless you are really comfortable working on it yourself, and realize that if you take out the main pin incorrectly, it can ruin the gun beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Patrol Corporal
937 Posts
You could go with a used Glock if you can find one. Any faulty, worn, or broken parts could be replaced easily and mostly inexpensively (save for firing pin, barrel, slide, or frame). Unless they have been seriously abused Glocks clean up pretty good.

Have you looked at the Ruger Security-9 or American or Smith & Wesson M&P? They are a little cheaper than Glock.

The Kahr CT9 is a good, comfortable gun and a very good deal but is a lower capacity, slightly smaller gun for a duty/service pistol. It would serve well and adequately and you might even like it in the long run for carry because it would be lighter. If money is really tight I would seriously look at it. Holsters for Kahr's don't seem to be as prolific as some others so look at holster selection during your gun selection process.

Reactions: orangejeep06

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
"In the market for a security officer pistol..."

One thing to consider, if it going to be used as a security officer "duty" style gun, i.e. worn with a uniform on a duty style belt. You will need a GOOD holster and mag pouch, a Glock or S&W will have lots of different holster styles/models available for them. Some of the other brands - not so much.

Suggestion - think Safariland!

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
26,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FN 509M. It's become EDC. I recommend the APEX trigger, installed by a respected gunsmith. Unless you are really comfortable working on it yourself, and realize that if you take out the main pin incorrectly, it can ruin the gun beyond repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No modifications allowed. federal contract. they are very strict.

Reactions: apmcdaniel

·
Registered
26,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm basically looking for info on those that I should avoid at all costs.

·
Gunslinger
1,660 Posts
If you are going to be carrying a firearm as part of a job where your safety, and the safety of other people is on the line, you need to stop thinking in terms of believing that the cost of a Glock is “paying out the butt”. A Glock is right at about the entry level of what is an acceptable service pistol, and anything much cheaper is not fit for duty use for one reason or another.

Within the requirements you mentioned, Glock would be a top contender, along with the S&W M&P, and the SIG Sauer P320.

·
NRA Life Member
64,143 Posts
The specs are no safety, no exposed hammer and 9mm. My question is, which models from the major manufacturers should be avoided? Trying to avoid paying out of the butt for a Glock. Looking for something about G19 size.
What is cheaper than a Glock? Get lower than Glock and you are getting into junk territory.

12 years on Glock Talk and you don't own a Glock or any other striker-fired 9mm?

·
Registered
I buy and use guns for self protection only.
1,169 Posts
Paying "Out the Butt" would be buying a Sig, H&K, or Walther but purchasing a Glock is not a lot of money to pay for a Gun that will be extremely reliable and will be easy to maintain but if you mean that you are a Security Officer, then I would now recommend the G48! I carried a G19 for over 10 years while working as a Armed Security Officer but now I am retired. If I had to start over, I would choose the G48, which is the same as a G19 with the single stack slim line model. Just my Opinion and good luck!

·
Registered
26,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is cheaper than a Glock? Get lower than Glock and you are getting into junk territory.

12 years on Glock Talk and you don't own a Glock or any other striker-fired 9mm?
I do but they don't meet specs. Mine have safeties. Security regs here say only guns without external safety device qualifies.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts