close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

in the event of a martial law in the philippines

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Mar 4, 2006.

1. theTactician

theTactician

Lets just say, for instance and i hope it wont happen again, what will happen to us gun owners in the event of a martial law declaration in the philippines? they say that all gun owners should surrender all licensed firearms to the PNP..is this true? if you dont comply, they will take all your weapons (licensed or not) from you whether you like it or not? i think that would be unfair coz how can gun owners protect themselves if anarchy sets in right?
    What should gun owners do? hide their guns till everything cools down or what?

2. riddler

riddler

8" PVC pipe with airtight endcaps, lots of cosmoline, good size backyard.

3. isuzu

isuzu

Let's not only think of our firearms but could the Philippines survive if martial law is to be declared there, regardless of who is president? It's just short of alienating the country from the rest of the world.

I believe the PNP would also have a hard time confiscating firearms this time. They did it once, and people wouldn't want to get fooled again.

4. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I think any ban would extend to bladed weapons as well, so better stock up on extra or backup copies of your favorite fixed blade knives or folders.

5. isuzu

isuzu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is any knife with a blade over 3" not legal to carry? It's kinda confusing, because you could see people in farms carrying bolos in their scabbards tied to their waist. They use the bolos to clear tall grass, cut firewood, harvest bananas, etc. They're essentially tools, unless used otherwise.

6. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Presidential Decree No. 9, issued as an offshoot of Marcos' proclamation of martial law, states that blades may be carried as long as they are used as tools or implements necessary to earn one's livelihood. So, yes, farmers and butchers can legally carry bolos and other knives since they are vital tools for their work.

A Google search on Supreme Court decisions concerning PD 9 shows that in some cases, the SC has been lenient in applying this law, provided the defendant was really not involved in any seditious or criminal activities at the time of his apprehension. Still, IMO, it pays for ordinary citizens like us to be discreet when carrying a knife, lest an unscrupulous LEO tries to use it as an opportunity for extortion.

7. RATRAT

RATRAT

Im just wondering if you can just declare it lost or missing make an affidavit then hide it somewhere in case theres a house to house check , then when the ordeal is over,,just tell an ananimous person returned it to you..just a thought ..i dont know if its plausible!!
    Good day to all of you!!:)

----------------------------------

"Be afraid of no man,
    No matter what size.
    When trouble threatens, call on me,
    For I shall equalize”– Glock 17

8. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Declaring it lost when it fact it is not would be tantamount to falsification of documents and lying under oath. Hiding it would be interfering with a police investigation. Although anything is possible in the Philippines, discussions regarding illegal activities are best kept out of a public forum.

Remember that anyone, even the IT guys of the PNP, can read all the comments we make here. For all our sakes, let's limit the exchange of ideas here on what we can legally do to prepare for a martial law situation.

9. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

I agree with mikey.and may I remind everybody to be more responsible in posting here.this is a public forum and it is clearly defined in the sticky that illegal ideas/acts are not allowed here.pakiusap lang po.(translation: just a request)

10. 9MX

9MX Rei!

;m +1 with kristiansen, no speculation of illegal activities please

11. RATRAT

RATRAT

Sorry mga Bro. Just reacted to the thread question,..sige po isusurrender ko na lang po!:)

---------------------------
    "Be afraid of no man,
    No matter what size.

12. vega

vega

I don't think it would be illegal to speculate on this. I have come across similar threads here at GT discussing same issues when SHTF comes. Just say it in English.

vega

13. theTactician

theTactician

the reason why i posted this thread is that, a few years ago, me and my fellow shooters who are both good friends of mine, one a physician captain from the military and one a businessman, were discussing about the martial law a few years ago. we did own a great deal of guns (short and long) ... secret kung ilan, and my military friend told me that there is a possibility of seizure of our beloved toys in the event of a martial law. if you resist, you can either get arrested or worse, killed by the apprehending policemen and they can easily get away with it by reporting that you have resisted arrest. so, coz i got paranoid,i disposed some of my guns specially the long ones to go with the law and i left only two licensed handguns. I thought my friends would also sell theirs but even now,they still have their toys.
    So, i posted this thread to get any ideas if theres any truth to this or was i just a victim of a prank over a few bottles of beer. ;c
    ;z

14. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

I think some of these thing should be discussed up to certain extent that will not advocate breaking the law. It would be good because we could clear things up so others who think that that they can resort to these things will get a precaution and avoid getting themselves into trouble. Then we can just discuss further by PM if there is need to.

15. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

It's no big deal, and there's no need to apologize.

As the other members have opined, it's okay to "ask" whether a course of action is legal or illegal. But, if after ascertaining that one's plan will violate the law, further discussion of the matter would best be done either during an EB or via PM.

I myself was the one who stated in the thread on PTC suspensions that the time to think about how we gun owners would react to a gun confiscation scenario is now, and not when the police or military are already knocking on our door.

For the record, let me say that I'll never allow my family or myself to be completely dependent on the State for protection because, in spite of whatever noble intentions a government may have in trying to control gun-related violence, the reality is that lawless elements and corrupt government underlings will never have the people's welfare at heart.

Edited to add: Also, I'm not comfortable discussing possible methods of keeping our guns from the hands of the authorities since they can use whatever "tips" we have suggested here to make their search even more thorough. However, I'm always open to discussing these things hypothetically over a few rounds of beer :)

16. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

E di inuman na.^1 ^1 ^1 ^1

17. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

18. rhino465

rhino465

Re: hiding your guns

1. I do not advocate any illegal or immoral activity
    2. When I refer to hiding guns, I mean all of them to prevent confiscation, not creating a cache for emergencies
    3. I do not fully understand the socio-political environment in the Philippines, so keep that in mind when I say:

If it's bad enough that you have to hide all your guns, it's at (or past) the time when you should be using them instead.

19. RATRAT

RATRAT

Sagot ko pulutan ...fried itik!!:) ;Y ;Y

-------------------------
    "Be afraid of no man,
    No matter what size.