close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

In Los Angeles, are red light tickets reported to the DMV

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glen Rose, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Glen Rose

Glen Rose

Hello,
    I tried to post this on the copforum but wasn't able to. In Los Angeles, the metro Orange Line (bus line) has red light cameras in the San Fernando Valley. If you get a red light ticket, is it reported to the DMV and do you get a point on your driving record because of it?

2. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

My understanding is, they can be ignored.

3. gumbee

gumbee

Yep, check with the LA TIMES online, they have an article about the city not enforcing the tickets.

4. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

I would check with a criminal defense attorney who handles these cases in LA. I can refer you to the red light camera ticket master if you want. He was instrumental in a landmark Orange County case regarding red light camera tickets and knows more than anybody on the subject here in SoCal.

There is recent case law in Los Angeles that overturns prior cases essentially gutting the admissibility of red light camera photos and video.

I am a criminal defense attorney, and I have successfully litigated red light camera tickets... but here in OC, not up in LA. PM me if you want to give a call to a lawyer who makes his living fighting these tickets.

5. gumbee

gumbee

Glen,

Talk to Nate, his post is true and correct.