close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IN: Gun permit information to be kept secret under new law

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by IndyGunFreak, Mar 12, 2010.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. DarkBlade1000RR

DarkBlade1000RR

My man Mitch comes through again! :woohoo:

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Hopefully, given the fact he signed the permit law, it shows he is willing to sign the guns at the workplace law... That law really is needed. Since Indiana requires you to have an LTC to have a gun in the vehicle, it really only makes sense. Hopefully we can shut these Gary Democrats up for another session w/ this one..

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100304023

Legislature OKs bill to allow guns at work
    March 4, 2010

The legislature today approved a bill that would let most Hoosiers to take their guns to work, so long as they leave them out of sight in a locked car.
    House Bill 1065 received a 74-20 vote in the House. Later, the Indiana Senate passed the bill 41-9.

The bill now goes to Gov. Mitch Daniels.

The bill exempts some workplaces, including schools, universities, prisons, child care centers, domestic violence shelters, investor-owned utilities and any facility regulated by the federal Department of Homeland Security's chemical facility anti-terrorism standards. It also exempts workers who transport the developmentally disabled in their personal vehicles.

The measure was opposed by Indiana's business organizations, including the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and Indiana Manufacturers Association, who argued that it denied them their constitutional right to control their own property and to protect their workers. Indiana's hospitals and petroleum refineries also had sought to be exempt from the bill, but were not successful.

Supporters, though, say Hoosiers should have the right to have their guns with them as they travel to and from work.

Rep. Mike Murphy, R-Indianapolis, said the bill balances constitutional rights to keep and bear arms, with those of property owners.

But opponents argued the measure went too far, and said the National Rifle Association (NRA) was pushing the legislation.

"Once and for all we need to tell the NRA, 'Hell, no, you don't have a stranglehold on this chamber,'" said Rep. Charlie Brown, D-Gary.

10:54 AM: Vote today on Indiana gun-at-work bill

Most Hoosier employees could bring a gun to work with them, so long as they leave it out of sight in their locked vehicle, under a bill which is expected to be voted on later today in the House and Senate.

Lawmakers negotiating differences in House Bill 1065 reached an agreement on allowing additional exemptions to the bill, including for employees of centers for the developmentally disabled who drive patients in their personal vehicles.

The Senate Rules and Legislative Procedures voted 9-3 this morning to allow the measure to come up for a final vote in the Senate, and the House rules committee is expected to take it up later today as well.

The bill was a priority of the National Rifle Association, but was opposed by virtually every business organization in the state. Businesses argued that the measure violated their constitutionally-protected property rights and their need to keep a save work environment.

The bill excludes employees at schools, universities, jails and prisons, domestic violence shelters and child care centers. Also exempted during the final negotiations are investor-owned utilities, chemical facilities that are covered by federal Department of Homeland Security regulations, nuclear facilities and employees who use their personal vehicles to drive patients at centers for the developmentally disabled.

The exception for the chemical facilities means that employees of Eli Lilly and Co. and Roche Diagnostics are not covered in the bill.
    Lawmakers are scrambling to finish work on this and dozens of other bills by today’s self-imposed deadline. Still unresolved are bills to either delay or repeal a scheduled increase in the unemployment insurance premiums which businesses pay; bills to give schools flexibility to use other funds for operating expenses; and a bill to reform township government.

House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, has scheduled today as the final day of the 2010 session, but by law legislators can continue in session until March 14.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I'm glad to see the privacy bill for LTCH holders. While the RedStar attempts to paint this as the NRA lobby's wetdream, the fact is, the bill was sponsored by a lefty Dem from Bloomington (whose paper posted one of the databases) whose anti-gun constituency was fearful that by identifying gun owners, the paper was creating a roadmap to their undefended homes. So the reality is this bill serves to protect both GOs and non-GOs alike.

As far as the gun in the car bill, it doesn't do much for me and I work for one of those employers who ban guns on their premises including the parking garage. I'd much rather be wearing my pistol in to work. I won't leave one in my car because a) the chances of me needing it driving to work are for all intents and purposes nil; b) it does me no good at work out in the parking lot and c) it's more likely to get stolen than be used by me in self-defense.

5. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Great to see. This is how it should be!

6. mad618

mad618

also hb 1068 allows you to renew your ltch up to 365 days before it expires, currently it is 180 days

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, get a lifetime, and don't worry about renewing again. :)

8. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

OK is working on the same thing.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The good thing about here in Indiana, the list was never actually published. The two papers simply allowed you to search the database by zip code, street, et.c and it would give you general statistical data given the criteria you chose... Didn't give addresses, etc.. but it got people all up in arms about it, and as mentioned above, even scared some lefty's... Ball picked up heavy speed and rolled through w/ little opposition once the grass roots organizations and the NRA got behind it.

10. A6Gator

A6Gator

He's just in a snit because Lucy yanked the football at the last minute again...:rofl:

11. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

It's been interesting to see the sourgrapes coming out of the Star's opinion page. First, Matt Tully insulted us and in today's Star, Dan Carpenter shows his ignorance and fear.

12. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

I'm glad to see this. Slowly, but surely, we are making progress.

13. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Google the state of Indiana Constitution Article 1, Section 32. With 60+ years of perspective on the BOR, the authors of our state constitution decided to simplify the gun rights clause. How do we end up with all these restrictions and "infringements" when a constitutional right is expressed so simply and concisely?

14. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Newsflash.... that problem with interpreting the Constitution is not just an Indiana thing. We seem to have the same problem with the US Constitution.

15. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

That is good to see that happen. Hopefully more states follow.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

yup....

17. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

In Oklahoma it wasn't published either nor does it show up on a driver's license check. A LEO I believe can do a search of OSBI records check.
    The law is to prevent a newspaper from doing a request for information and getting the information.