1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Why so serious?
65,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
You don't have to offer any apology to me for this version of "Dune".

I'm a fan of it.

And to the critics, it's a commercial screen play of one of the most popular scifi stories of all time.

There's zero chance this fan group or that wouldn't be ticked off.

So for the movie press a la 1984 I say, "Pull my finger ".

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I like it, too. Although a person needed to have a reading background in the Novel to understand it.
And the spin off series has gone totally out of control.
Muad'Dib!

Reactions: TBO and Gray Dood

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
The movie was pretty good, the article in the op link stinks IMO.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had a friend in High School that was reading Dune. I checked it out, and it sounded cool, but I just COULD not read Fiction much less Sci-Fi then. A few years later the movie came out and I was down. I could do a movie.
At the time, I thought it was pretty awesome. It's dated now of course, but It inspired me to actually read the book. I loved it. I went on to read the whole Frank Hubert series. Some were better than others, all were complicated.
I have been hearing and waiting on this new version for a couple of years.
Potentially, we could get an OUTSTANDING movie if done right.
Maybe, a classic. I can't wait and have my fingers crossed.

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,717 Posts
Loved the books, but still mad about 2h 17min of my life I will never get back

Reactions: BigBluefish

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I thought it was ok. But I’ve never finished the book.

Tried starting it once, and I’m a voracious sci-fi reader. But just couldn’t get into it.

Supposedly the upcoming remake is going well. They are splitting the first book into 2 movies.

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
I'm pretty sure I tried to watch it once or twice and was unable. "Near comic incomprehensibility and a screenplay seemingly written by a million insane monkeys" actually sounds like it would be an improvement.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,406 Posts
I thought it was ok. But I’ve never finished the book.

Tried starting it once, and I’m a voracious sci-fi reader. But just couldn’t get into it.

Supposedly the upcoming remake is going well. They are splitting the first book into 2 movies.

Way more than one book.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,406 Posts
I'm pretty sure I tried to watch it once or twice and was unable. "Near comic incomprehensibility and a screenplay seemingly written by a million insane monkeys" actually sounds like it would be an improvement.
The movie did not lend itself to the new consumer.

Cliche as it is, the books were better.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
I'm a big fan of David Lynch. Big fan. But not that particular effort. In fact, I despise it. Before I ever saw my first David Lynch weirdness, I read Dune. I read the first three classic Dune novels, then "God Emperor"**, then bought the "Dune Encyclopedia." I was a walking-talking Dune-head. This was eighth-ninth grade, so cut me some slack. But I was deep into that stuff. And Lynch's attempt was a travesty. Just terrible.

Lynch's film was actually the second 'serious' attempt at Dune ... "Jodorowsky's Dune" is a must-watch documentary if you're at all interested in the Dune books and the possibility of a proper film being made. That project even involved Salvador Dali.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky's_Dune

There is a new "Dune" movie coming, directed by Denis Villeneuve. I will give it a shot.

**I personally don't advise going further than "God Emperor." It provides closure to the original trilogy, without diluting the power of the story. The later books which Herbert's son undertook to finish ... I don't consider them legit. Just me.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
I liked the movie but I also liked the book. To me the movie was just a visual tour through some of the books highlights. What I loved during the initial showings was that they handed out a glossary to the patrons. I wish I had kept it. It might be worth something to a SiFi collector.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I loved the book, didn't totally hate the movie. I found the miniseries unwatchable. I like Kyle Maclachlan, David Lynch, and Sting but I'm totally at a loss as to what any of them were doing within a thousand miles of the script. The movie got the look right. It also nailed the scariest villains- Pieter DeVries and the Baron Harkonen. The shields were cool. It didn't make me thirsty watching it. The book made me thirsty.

The book is almost impossible to film. It's 95% internal dialog. If it was broken into two movies, and each movie covered the entire story, but from a different perspective... say Stilgar's for the first movie and Paul's for the second, then they might be on to something.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,012 Posts
The book was good. But 80% of it was internal dialog with the hero talking silently to himself. That is pretty hard to convert into a film.

It didn't help that the good guys in the movie were so wooden and colorless. The SS inspired uniforms were a bit offputting as well (colorless? Black is a color). God now you got me engaging in internal dialog.

I found the Harkonnen to be much more interesting. Sting was beautiful, no other word could describe him. And how could you not find the pustulant baron, flying around in his suspensor belt to be anything but hilarious?

And could they have picked a less charismatic leading actor to play Paul? All the emotional depth of a mud puddle. And just as colorful. Brown AND black, what a wide pallet.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,012 Posts
And how could I leave out the mentat with his eye brows. Brezhnev swooned.

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,571 Posts
I grew up reading the novels. The movie was enjoyable to me, having a deep understanding of the material involved.

The SyFy mini-series was OK, but I preferred the casting of the movie better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts