In a rut...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eingeist, Feb 17, 2010.

1. eingeist

eingeist

Well, I applied for the SMART scholarship with the ASEE back in December. I've already been thinking that money has been becoming extremely tight. It fluctuates so much! Just when I think I've got a few extra bucks something else, short term or long, comes up and ruins my parade.

Anyway, I took a test in Differential Equations today and I don't think I did too hot. Come to think of it I haven't been doing too well in all of my classes. Lot's going on in life I guess. If that wasn't enough, when I checked my e-mail I also had a nice letter from the SMART guys saying I was rejected for the scholarship. (Full paid, stipend, DoD employment post-grad, etc...)

My roommate has been telling me over the weekend she seriously thinks I should keep flying and pursue that instead. I don't know why. I do like the engineering stuff, but part of me thinks maybe she's right. She said I am just not as happy unless I'm at an airport. :rofl:
    However, I looked into it and with the credit crunch, lack of loans, lack of employment, and every branch of the military still not offering to consider waivers, even from the FAA, and it's not looking too hot either.

Anyway... I don't mean to rant. But I guess bad news just comes in waves. It's got me a little demotivated I guess. Hoping I can catch a break.. Wish I could start all over again from high school on. I'd do things a lot differently. I turn 25 now here in 10 days... I should be somewhere else! Never saw this one coming. Work's getting hectic around the office, especially after my hour cut, pay cut, and now school on top of it..

It's got me thinking of lots of things. Some good ideas others maybe not so good.

Oh well.. Tomorrow's another day...

2. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Commercial aviation is a very cyclic business. It's currently not good. Think long and hard before you commit to paying your bills that way.

My free advice is to buckle down, finish your education, find a real job, get paid, and fly for fun.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The economy right now is horrible and businesses are still laying people off and closing doors. You are lucky to have a job. Stay safe and careful and you should be ok.

4. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

what for???

Join the Military, you will NEVER regret it. If you want to fly the ex Military guys/gals will be your competition.

5. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

I agree, unless you have some sort of "in", commercial aviation is a b*tch right now.

You a fixed wing or rotorcraft guy?

6. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Both, but I only get paid for helicopters.

7. eingeist

eingeist

Color vision. I can't pass the dot tests. Even thoug I see prime colors fine.
    The FAA gave me a waiver to fly by givig me a light gun test at different distances and I passed with flying colors. (no pun intended). But, the FAA doesn't have any say so over military. One branch swore to me that I could do navigation an at least still be in the air. But after my own research, I think he wa blowing smoke.

8. eingeist

eingeist

I kno its rough up there aircav. Got a couple buddies who are doing the minors right now and paying good money for the hours.

Btw, I'd do rotor if given the option. Also seems a bit less military involved. Interests me more anyway. (the professional positions 1000hrs up)

9. SKeefe

SKeefe

Any expenses you can cut back on?

10. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Well you are screwed there for being a pilot in the military but there are plenty of other flying gigs in the service. I had a great one (see avatar)

Do one of them and be a pilot for a hobby.

11. eingeist

eingeist

A few. I quit smoking Tuesday. Going strong so far. I don't eat lunch out anymore so much. Just bring a couple sandwiches.
    I listed my car for sale but those odds are slim. Owe too much and values took a dive once 2010 hit.

I cook at home daily now except Wednesdays. It's cheaper I think.

Eh, generally trying to be pretty proactive about it.

Flipper, if you've got experience in it, do you know from personal experience if you can still be a navigator?

12. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

300c and 407 here.

OP, the civi way into rotor is expensive. Get your fixed wing first.

13. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

The helicopter pilot market is slowly evolving but I'd still be very surprised if it were less military dominated than the airplane biz. Price of admission is so much higher than airplanes. You really do need a rich Uncle (Sam) or at least an uber credit line. And 1000 hours won't open many doors for you, currently.

OP, the civi way into rotor is expensive. Like $70K expensive. For the chance to compete for a $20-30K entry-level job. And it is competitive.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010