GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of people when I got to Wal-Mart, Commassary buying stuff I call impulse items. I tend to shop with LIST of NEEDED ITEMS, get them, and no extra impulse items.

Retail grocery & other retail store work 24 X 7 figuring out way to get you to spend extra money. That is why Milk is not in from of store, and candy & impulse item are by check out. Item they make big bucks on.

I get maybe 60 - 70 email weekly from on line Cigar retailers, look to see deal, most are not deals, or just cheap junk. have learned to look for one in a great while specials, then strike like Rattler on TRUE DEALS. Last smoking deal was two years ago. Stll have some of those Hondurian Cigar I bought for next to nothing like 80% off, flag deal, but I scored.

Grandfather use to one in great while give my a $1.00, he was frugel. But there was an attachment,before I spent I would have to tell him on what.

He would say you need, or want? If you want why? If you need why? He was trying to teach thrift, saving, he survived GREAT DEPRESSION.

If your holiday shopping, be a smart educated shopper.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
need vs want.

Not sure there is a difference. Take it to the extreme, you don't need to live. And just in addition to living, everything/everyway you do it is a want.

Some want to walk in to a store, then buy based on their wants at that moment.

Others want to make a list of their wants while at home, then walk into a store and buy from that list.

Both are wants, not needs.

·
Registered
30,051 Posts
For a long time there was a gun store near home. About six of us older guys hung out there drinking Coffee and shooting the bull.

I was REALLY BAD for impulse buying new guns delivered to the store or trade in guns.

The thing is I have multiple copies of the same gun.

When I like something I go overboard.
It's lucky I'm not hooked on something like cars. :)
Although at one time I did have three VW Bugs.

But now I'm hooked on Drones and have about 12,......... 9 are the same model. But it's a darn good Drone. :)

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,423 Posts
I admit I will buy a tabloid in the supermarket checkout line if it looks interesting. Good beach reading.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I say to folks:
“Spend or buy what you like.” You earned it so,...do what you will......just don’t come around bit#hing how broke you are.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Need is a frugal list, want can be very extensive. My "needs" are minimal but my "wants" are limited by my finances. Impulse buys are understandable but can often be regrettable!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I don’t know. I go to the grocery store in the morning. I don’t buy all the groceries, but if there’s something needed for the day, I like to go early.

I usually NEED to buy a piece of pie or cake when I’m there to eat with my coffee.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I budget and do not do impulse buys any longer. I like my money in the bank. I enjoy reading about all the guns on the forums, but I have what I want and just refrain from buying the latest of what I have. Now if I really have to have a new gun, I sell one to buy one. I didn't used to be this way, but I have now changed how I do things. Just me.

·
****** Viejo
28,736 Posts
I usually think out purchases before hand but every once in a while I'll impulse buy. tom. :cowboy:

Reactions: Coachgun

·
Banned
15,325 Posts
If I impulse buy something it is probably something I have already thought about buying. Or something new the store just started selling

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yeah I almost bought ground chuck the other day but slapped myself silly and settled for bologna and generic white bread again. I don't understand why anyone wants something they like better than bologna.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts