Improved G17 with CCF RaceFrame

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by chillindrdude, Jul 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. chillindrdude

chillindrdude

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

picked up my G17 today from the gunsmith and went to the range. I put 125rds downrange with no problems. I got the SS RaceFrame for my G17 with Trijicon NS. The increased weight is more than manageable, even as a carry piece. I definitely notice much less felt recoil during shots. And overall, my groups were tighter by about 10-20 percent. the trigger pull is more crisp, and i feel that the pistol sits better in my hand from the extended beavertail and backstrap cut. grip angle is now closer to the 1911 which i like.

a worthwhile improvement in my opinion

2. 2moose

2moose

Nothing personel, but, improved?

3. Cop Pop

Cop Pop

Tighter groups? I don't see any holes in that target.

4. chillindrdude

chillindrdude

i just thought it made a nice background. lotsa CCF haters thus far huh?

5. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I have shot one before and I can't say that I am a fan.

6. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

The other points make sense, but I think you'll need to carry the extra weight for a few weeks before deciding on this.

Of course, everyone has a different opinion of what's "manageable". ;)

7. dakrat

dakrat

congrats man! im picking one up once i get the funds. it would be awesome if they make one with place to put 1911 type grips.

8. qiqazz

qiqazz

Make it quick, they are going up in price $50-80(depending on whether they're made from stainless or aluminum) July 30th.

9. dakrat

dakrat

i saw that on their website! i think its was from 249.99 to 300 something. but if im going for metal frames, it would be the SS

10. TAC-GLOCK

TAC-GLOCK

If you want a metal frame, why not go by a SIG or something similar. One of the factors in choosing a Glock was for it's composite advantages.

11. cgv69

cgv69

Why do people keep posting that BS???

First off, many of us did not buy a Glock because of their polymer frames, in fact many of us bought them in spite of that fact.

Secondly, Glocks have a number of features and advantages that have yet to be replicated by any other maker so saying "if you want a metal frame, get a Sig or something similar" is just flat out stupid. A "Sig or so meting similar" is not a metal framed Clock. If you want an all metal Glock, the CCR frame is the only game in town right now.

You know, I don't have a CCR frame and may never get one. I'm on the fence about them but one of the things I get so sick and tired around here are all the "holier then thou" types that seem to feel the need to post their worthless $.02 in whenever somebody else modifies THEIR OWN Glock to suit THEM in a way that that the holier then thou types do not approve of. If you have nothing positive or useful to say then just STFU!!!

12. TAC-GLOCK

TAC-GLOCK

Wow, chill out! I wasn't posting BS, or worthless $.02! It was an honest suggestion. SIGs are excellent firearms. The Polymer frame of the Glock had a lot to do with my decision to sell my SIGs, and buy two Glocks. The RaceFrame cost half of what a new gun cost. I just don't see the big attraction.

It seems you are the one with the hollier than thou attitude because someone doesn't have the same opinion as yours! :upeyes:

13. cgv69

cgv69

I'll chill out when guys like you quit telling people what they should and should not do with their Glock. You don't see the big attraction to to the CCR frame then guess what, don't buy one!!!

The OP posted to let those of us who are interested in the new frame what his experience with it has been so far. You jumping in to "inform" us how we should have bought Sigs is just a retarded waste of space.

Do you own a Sig? Ever shot one? If so then you should know a Glock and a Sig have nothing in common other then the fact that they both fire bullets. Anybody who would choose between a Glock and a Sig based solely off of the frame material alone is well, lets just say uninformed. Now that you've said you piece and I've said mine, can we get back to the subject at hand? If you have more to say, I suggest you take it to PM.

chillindrdude - You mentioned you just got it back from the GS. Can I ask why you chose to have a GS do the conversion? (Not sure if something needed to be fitted or if you are just not comfortable disassembling and reassembling a Glock?) Thanks and sorry for the hijack

14. chillindrdude

chillindrdude

i didn't intend to ruffle feathers among the glock purists. i felt that this was a fairly new product that not many folks have tried and decided to post my impressions after the purchase.

being that i only had my glock for alittle over a month, i didn't feel comfortable detail stripping the lower frame. so i had the gunsmith do it. just for record, i did put 800rds thru my stock G17 before i decided to make the "upgrade".

i started out shooting my friend's 1911 before i purchased the glock. the grip angle was something that i disliked about Glocks, but purchased a G17 anyways because i wanted something reliable, chambered in 9mm (a cheap common round), and the price was right. i jumped at the CCF RaceFrame after reading a couple reviews about the product. the more 1911-esque grip angle made a noticeable difference in how my G17 felt in my hands. in addition, i dislike the "unfinished" appearance of Robar'd glocks. and for about the same price as a Robar mod, i got a nice SS frame.

15. TAC-GLOCK

TAC-GLOCK

No feathers ruffled on my end, and I'm certainly not a Glock purist. I guess I didn't present my question properly, but now, reading your explanation I have a better understanding regarding your choices. That's all I was looking for to begin with. I didn't mean to imply it was a bad choice.

16. farmer2

farmer2

the new frame looks great, I can't wait to get one! My reason for wanting one is that there is no all steel 9mm out there that only has 35 parts and can be disassembled by any idiot(like myself). Is the frame to slide fit similiar to stock?

farmer

17. chillindrdude

chillindrdude

a few "catches" with the CCF RaceFrame

1) can only use glock stock factory barrels

2) to remove slide you must keep the slide release held down for the entire duration, and the same when you put the slide back on.

3) you lose the lanyard hole

18. Joe D

Joe D Guest

Where in the world did you come up with the "can only use Glock stock factory barrels" dribble.

19. chillindrdude

chillindrdude

quoted from CCF RaceFrame website FAQ

"A number of aftermarket makers, looking for the same resulting greater accuracy, cut their barrels’ lugs slightly oversized to achieve the same tighter lockup as our raised lock block bridge. However, combining the aftermarket barrel with our lock block, without proper fitting and clearance confirmation, can easily cause your barrel to shear a lug or damage the lock block in your frame! That aftermarket barrel, just because it functioned with your Glock® frame, does not mean it will in your CCF RaceFrame. It could easily appear to clear the lock block in our frame, but cause damage to your new frame over a period of time or a number of shots. We recommend you contact the manufacturer of those components for confirmation of use, applicability and support. If uncertain, DO NOT USE IT WITHOUT HAVING SOMEONE QUALIFIED TO CONFIRM IT’S USE! "

20. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

There's the key phrase. With a little gunsmithing, any aftermarket barrel should be good to go.