Impressive little battery chainsaw.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sechott, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Dumb, dumb, dumb, I feel so dumb for not thinking to do this. Would have saved my dad from buying another chainsaw when the tree fell on a stuck saw. He didn't cut the notch large enough. Should have only lost the bar and chain at worst.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  2. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

Naw always learning few tricks along the way. I didn't know about it until a pro tree cutter tree monkey told me about it awhile back and it happened last year. Had to walk back a mile to get another chain. Bar came out fine but blade didn't.

Mr Meeseeks, treg and ranger1968 like this.

3. papershoot

papershoot

My neighbor had a tall oak fall down during a storm gust a couple weeks ago. The top of the tree fell onto my property, that is the easement for the for the street we live on. He did not do anything about it and my Echo saw was just sitting in the garage having never been used. I cut up the tree top today. The branches went into the nearby ditch for pick up. I stacked the bigger cut limbs for burning in the fire pit. The largest were about 8" in diameter. The battery did not die, so I starting cutting some dead oaks on the place. After cutting up a 7" tree into 18" sections, the battery was done.
    That was a fair amount of cutting for one charge. The power was impressive. The 58 volt battery is large and heavy. I like the 16" blade. I have no regrets with the purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbA07-37uPM

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Mr Meeseeks, cbetts1 and varget like this.
  4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I have a Stihl MS 270 or 290 don’t remember exactly. Kickass saw but it gets heavy after a while and overkill for smaller work. I started building a 18 volt makita set last year and see they offer a battery powered saw for about 250$.

It’s tempting but for another hundred bucks or so I could get a top handled Stihl gas saw. End of the day that the way I’ve leaned, hard to beat gas power and Stihl quality.

tom mac likes this.
  5. ottomatic

ottomatic

For the last 40 years I have had a gas powered saw and still do. But after using a Greenworks 40 volt saw recently, I think that battery powered saws are the thing of the future for everything but heavy duty commercial use.

papershoot likes this.
  6. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

Doing a remodel on our basement bathroom. Turn the power off and I have to use batteries. Also my previous batteries were dying. So I bought a 20v De Walt set=drill/driver, light, circular saw, saws-all, power grinder, etc. Added a sander and a chain saw. Has become my standard tool kit with several extra batteries. In a big wheeled tool box.

Just this weekend, I figured out how to use the chainsaw (instructions sucked!). Roofers were coming, so I had to cut 3 arbor vitae (up to 8") and a 12" spruce. Using a 4 amp/hr. battery (charged once during sawing), I cut and bucked all four trees and a large shrub (3-5"). I AM IMPRESSED!

7. ottomatic

ottomatic

After using a 40 volt and handling a 60 volt unit (in-store only), I would assume that the 18 volt unit has less power and duration, BUT that would likely be offset by lower weight (and cost)

8. walke121

walke121

I have a several pieces of the Stihl AP series. I have the weed eater, hedge trimmer, and the handheld blower. I didn’t like battery operated equipment but I bought the hedge trimmers because my old gas powered ones were on their last leg. I was super impressed with the trimmers I decided try the weed eater and blower. It’s so nice not to mess with gas and if you are considering a setup of multiple pieces I strongly recommend these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

One MAJOR advantage I can see on the battery stuff is if you have to climb into a tree to limb it out, either to prune it or before dropping it. With the battery saw, you don't have to climb with a running saw or try to start the saw while sitting in the tree.

larry_minn likes this.
  10. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Could have done that, but for the cost of a new bar and chain I can almost get another saw (I get a discount). Plus having two does come in handy. My first one (Homelite) is getting some wear on it anyway.

But I've gotten a lot better with it lately. Haven't stuck the saw much.

Maybe because some of us don't have much occasion to use a chainsaw and we make mistakes?

Sometimes on the ground it's hard to tell which way the branch is loaded.

Rank Stranger likes this.
  11. motorcycleman

motorcycleman CLM

Hi
    Ol Grandad, could we hear the details of the incident? I think it would make for a good learning story for everyone to remember, thanks!! Motorcycle Man Tim

12. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Well, there's this!
    20190504_115714.jpg

motorcycleman likes this.
  13. walke121

walke121

I nearly removed the tip of my finger with the battery powered Stihl hedge trimmers in February. A branch fell on top of the bar and I released the trigger but didn’t wait long enough for the bar to stop oscillating and I got “bit”. I was lucky and only got 5!stitches but could’ve been. Much worse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  14. Sechott

Sechott

I have one too, not sure if it's the same model. It I take either hand off it seems to stop immediately. Yeah it could have been much worst, I'm glad you're ok.

15. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I have a Poulan 2000/14" (when they were USA made) for +/- 35 years - and I got it used. I've replaced the fuel lines once and replaced the air filter once - I probably have less then $20 in maintenance since I've had it. And it gets used quite a bit.

I have a 18 year old Stihl MS310/20" that gets used less because it gets used on larger work, is heavier and not as handy. It has had zero maintenance (I did adjust the idle speed this year).

When they run out of power, I can "recharge" them in 5 minutes. I can easily carry enough gas with me so that I run out of energy before the saws do.

I'd be surprised if the batteries (outdoor power equipment) have 70% capacity in 7 years (for a typical user), and the batteries are expensive.

I really thought about buying an electric Stihl line trimmer, but I bought an Echo commercial (300 hour engine) trimmer for less money (during their 15% off sale). I almost forgot, I have an Echo line trimmer that is 30'ish years old, that has had zero maintenance* ; and still starts easy and runs great. *The primer bulb is getting a little aged, and will probably need to be replaced soon - but they are like three (3) for $10.

16. PEC-Memphis

Good point.

17. PEC-Memphis

I'm more afraid of hedge clippers than a chain saw.

18. PEC-Memphis

As noted here ....

The effectiveness of chaps in the demo is pretty impressive.

19. walke121

walke121

Thanks. I thought they stopped a lot faster than the do when you take your hand off of the safety or trigger Hahahaha. It healed up great in just a few weeks. Like a gun a chainsaw or hedge trimmer can do a lot of damage very quickly if you aren’t paying attention. This was 100% my fault for not being patient and waiting for the blades to quit moving but like you said it could’ve been much worse. I mean they cut branches almost 1” with ease so a finger would be no issues. These are the trimmers I have. The only thing I don’t like is I would prefer a longer bar vs a 20” and the batteries are only 36v. My neighbor has the Kobalt trimmers from Lowe’s and they have an 80v battery. I used them once and for the price of around $250 with a battery and charger you can’t beat. I would buy those over my Stihl trimmers if I didn’t already have batteries and a charger for the Stihl platform.

I don’t usually think like this but imho the Stihl battery powered tools are great but you are really paying for the name. I don’t feel they are worth the price. Now I love their gas stuff as it will run forever and is bulletproof. The Kobalt brand from Lowe’s can be had with batteries a lot more powerful than the Stihl ones and for just a fraction of the price. I would highly suggest anyone looking at a battery powered setup with multiple tools to really give them a good look as the tools are impressive.

I too feel hedge trimmers are much more dangerous than a chainsaw. Growing up my dad let me run a chainsaw before he would let me use our gas powered trimmers. I mean the way they cut they can snip off a finger literally before you blink.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  20. rogn

rogn real dogs

Over the past couple of yeARS most areas have gotten (@#$%%^^$ ethanol) ethanol free gasoline. Everything on the property that is limited use gas powered is now on nonethanol fuel including the offshore boat with 170 gallon tank. Sure its more expensive but the damage and cost of repair due to ethanol is much greater. Non ethanol gas supplemented with Starbrite fuel modifier has eliminated the no starts, bad running, damaged fuel lines, damaged carburetors and on occasion damaged engines. Have to say the two products in the blue bottles(Starbrite, Startron) really do work unlike 99% of fuel additives.
    That being said for some use the electric saws are very impressive. I borrow my son's Kobalt 40 volt to prune around the road and fields and it just works! Not even the 80V model. Just the 40V

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    varget likes this.