Immigrants and their descendants support gun control

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by maxsnafu, Feb 13, 2013.

1. JBnTX

JBnTX

That article brings up a good point.

Most immigrants come from countries that basically prohibit private ownership of firearms, so naturally they think that's what's normal.

Just one more reason to oppose amnesty and to demand that all immigrants assimilate into the American culture and abandon the culture and political ideas of their former country.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

2. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

Not directly related to immigrants, but I heard a story about a birthday party thrown in Russia for Mikhail Kalashnikov (designer of AK-47) not too long ago. He reportedly gave a speech where he expressed envy for America and our right to bear arms. All of this in front of some high-ranking Russian officials.

There are many outside this country that look at our gun rights as an incredible gift.

3. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

<= This immigrant does not.

4. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

<==this first-generation AMERICAN does NOT support gun control, either!

Actually, it was because of my time in the service that I came to like the shooting sports, and it was from listening to many, many people discuss our rights that I have become more active in helping to maintain and keep those rights, as stated in the Bill of Rights.

CitizenOfDreams, I like the way you stated your position, so I took a page from your book :wavey:

5. Zombie Surgeon

Zombie Surgeon MODELATOR

<------{ This immigrant disagrees. And his descendant too - you can see him here shooting a Steyr. And the descendant's best friend who is also an immigrant descendant himself - you can see him here waiting for his turn.

[​IMG]

6. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

So let me get this straight, according to the article the logic is thus:
    Three minority legislators, ostensibly immigrants or descendants thereof, support gun control.
    Therefore most immigrants do as well?

So using that logic I can write a very short article on how Feinstein, McCarthy and Biden support gun control... Therefore most white people support gun control.

Most immigrants I know, whether Eastern European, Hispanic or otherwise, own guns and are against gun control.

Really, to come to that conclusion you need to be a bit more "scientific" than that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. TxGun

TxGun

LOL, Well of course anyone who frequents this forum is likely opposed to gun control, whatever their background. But the point is still probably valid: Recent immigrants from Mexico, Central America, and many other countries would likely support, or at least accept, gun control to a greater degree than most long- term (native born) Americans because, obviously, gun control is all they've ever known. That's to be expected. They were indoctrinated in the idea than only the government should have guns. I suspect, however, that it doesn't take long for descendants to begin to change their attitudes about this issue and begin to reflect the American norm after 1-2 generations.

8. maxsnafu

maxsnafu

True and most importantly, most immigrants support Liberalism and gun control is a defining characteristic of Liberalism.

9. domin8ss

domin8ss

Are these immigrants the article claims to support gun control legal citizens? If not, we have nothing to fear. If so, show them the murder rate per capita of their home country versus the US.

10. fx77

fx77 CLM

Geee..why can they not leave their values at home and adopt ours ehent hey immigrate..if it was so good "at home" why come here?

11. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

I wasn't speaking of frequenters to this forum. In fact I don't personally know anyone that frequents this forum at least nobody that has stated that they do so.
    I wrote "immigrants I know".

This may very well be true. I did not state that the article's conclusion is incorrect. What I said was that the article uses fallacious "logic" (if you can call it that) to make a point. In fact, it's sophistry...
    If the article gave verifiable poll results or some other form of scientific data gathering that could support the conclusion, it would actually be believable.

Again, I could write an article stating that immigrants and their descendants like Massad Ayoob, Chris Bird and Ted Cruz support the Second Amendment, therefore all immigrants support the Second Amendment. Would that make sense?

This is I suspect as well. What we should be doing is finding ways to attract immigrants and their progeny to the concept of self-defense with a firearm and the shooting sports. We should be finding ways to enlighten them about their natural rights as protected in the Bill of Rights, etc.
    Instead of saying that we oppose immigration (note the article made no distinction between illegal immigration and legal immigration).

12. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

Go to an urban gun range in WA and tell me the descendants of immigrants don't support gun rights. We need to include and educate new shooters, rather than categorize and dismiss them. Even when they say things that make our blood boil as longstanding shooters, I tell folks that I'm not tellling them what I think they should do but I'm giving them the information they need to make their own Informed opinions.

13. pugman

pugman

And there as many inside this country who don’t realize a right can’t be a gift-a gift can be taken away.

My brother, a upper middle class Democrat, supports gun control. As smart as he is he doesn’t seem to get this simple fact.

His believe in a gun ban takes away my rights and property-my belief doesn’t cost him a penny. His belief takes away my ability to defend my family; my belief only provides him with the tools and opportunity to defend his.

Ironically, when I ask him by taking away the rights of legal firearm bearing Americans how does this in any way make him feel safer he can’t come up with a single answer.

It amazes me how many dumb smart people are in this country.

14. GAFinch

GAFinch

Thanks to sanctuary cities and motor-voter laws, you don't have to be a legal, living citizen to get a driver's license and vote for a Democrat...the "non-amnesty" bill being pushed right now will certainly make that even easier.