Imagine that

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by TwinFourFives, Feb 13, 2010.

1. TwinFourFives

TwinFourFives Guest

I tested several pellet guns in ballistics gelatine today.

A daisy 1000x (Rifle), a Browning 800 mag (Pistol), a 22/40 (Pistol), a Crosman 1800 (Pistol), and a Crosman 357 (Pistol). All are .177 cal except for the 2240.

The 1000x rifle, and the 800 mag penetrated over one foot of ballistics gelatine at 5 foot distance. This meets FBI Protocol. The 357 and the 2240 both averaged out near 4 inches of penetration. The 1800 would just bounce off of the gelatine, unless the gun was fired from point blank barrel contact on the gel.

This causes me to question how reliable ballistics gel is as an indicator for bullet incapacitation. Two of these guns met the FBI protocol for stopping power, yet they are close range squirrel guns at best, and the 1000x rifle can take something the size of a woodchuck or a coon inside 30 yards. I highly doubt any of these pellet guns can penetrate a rib cage and still stay on track, to severely damage a vital organ. They still meet FBI Standards.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. N/Apower

N/Apower

No, they penetrated un-calibrated bare gel to an uncorrected depth of 12+"

Now, if you actually tested it through the full FBI protocol's 8 individual tests, properly following proceedure, and it "passed" THEN I would start to question FBI Protocol.

Basically, what you have done is similar to a highschool student who buys a Honda Civic, puts some sticky tires on it, and borrows his buddy's G-Tech and discovers that it says his Civic will pull the same lateral g's on a skid-pad as his Motor Trend magazine says a Corvette will and goes around saying his Civic is the equal of a Corvette on the AutoX.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010

3. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

Speaking of squirrel guns, I need one. I live in the city, so nothing TOO powerful. Is there a good pellet gun for this application? Any recommendations?

4. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

N/Opower,

i think the FBI test is calibrated for 500 FPS, not 1000. its sounds like it was very close given his other penetration numbers. anybody that has shot enough things in their life knows jello is a buch of whooie.

:supergrin:

5. N/Apower

N/Apower

I am trying to figure out where you are coming from here. Please explain your reasoning.

6. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

hee,hee,

left field!

when they calibrate the jello they fire the BB @ XXX fps.

7. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I'm not familiar with the airguns you tested but I watched a hunting show the other day where they were killing wild boar with a .22 air rifle. It was of course one of the high quailty ones with a pellet made of something lighther than lead but I can't remember what. They shot the pig at 25 yards or so in the ear. It dropped on the spot. After seeing that I had a new respect for pellet guns.

8. N/Apower

N/Apower

Air-guns have been used to hunt dangerous game since the 1800's.

9. fredj338

fredj338