close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

iMac rant...."ENGAGED"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by airmotive, Apr 13, 2013.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

As a few of you may know...I'm a PC guy.
    Wifey is all "I". (Pod, Phone, Pad, Mini, BookPro and Mac-27"....throw in all the I-toys too...time machine, Apple TV, Some sort of WiFi router thing that none of our printers like to talk to....my house is full of little glossy white boxes.)

The IMac.....oh dear God the iMac.
    It's sitting here behind me as I type on my little homemade i7 PC I built myself for $700 two years ago.
    iMac is Dead as Jimmy Hoffa....again.
    After being completely gutted for the third time in three months. (five times in the 1.5 years since it arrived).
    Each time, I had to haul this heavy, unwieldy thing to a shopping mall 15 miles away, praying I don't drop it or let some mall door slam into it. Then....after a week in the shop...go pick it up and do it all again in reverse.

First the Thunderbolt ports stopped working. Repaired under Warranty.
    Then one of the speakers. Replaced under warranty.
    Then the power supply started screeching. Replaced under warranty.
    Then lines began appearing on the screen. Replaced the video card under warranty...but then the machine wouldn't boot at the shop. So the hardrive was replaced.
    We finally get the machine home....one week and blue screen.
    We insist that we're not hauling this big heavy thing all the way back to the store we just picked it up from last week. They send a guy out who replaces the logic board and verifies all the connections are in spec.
    [​IMG]
    Photo of the iMac in its natural state.

He then needs to reload the OS, which will take a couple hours. He leaves. The OS reloads, the computer boots....and we get an Apple logo....and then a white screen. Nuthin.
    Apple says it sounds like the logic board. (again).
    Can we bring it to the shop? (again....#6) Is there another option? Can you just replace this POS with a slightly less "S"-ier POS?
    Then they say we have dirty power. Hmmm...none of the other electronics are having problems...and the iMac is living on a nearly new CyperPower AVR1500. It's getting the purest power of any component in the house! (regardless...the problems didn't start when we added the PSU, and they've continued since we've gotten it).

So, wifey is now trying to run her business on her MacBook Pro....and the fan is starting the whine (again...already replaced that once also).

I swear...if one more smug little kid says "If you wanna work ON your computer get a PC; if you wanna work WITH your computer get a Mac." I will shoot him....and his Mac.:steamed:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  2. bullethead

bullethead

Was going to offer congratulations!!

But I think the original post might should have been "ENRAGED" not Engaged

3. benji

benji

wow man that sucks. we have an iMac that's three years old and a two year old MacBook Pro and have never had a problem with either.

4. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Posting from an ancient Mac Mini that never has had a problem. Also have a 15" Macbook Pro that is at least 4 years old all original except for the battery...

Kind of like anything else, you may have a lemon.

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Sounds like you got a lemon. Do you have Applecare on it still? Mine have had zero issues, ever. I love my iMac and all the toys I have synced to the iCloud with it.

6. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Yep - when you build millions of something, one is bound to come out bad... Good luck with Apple's solution.

The posts above got me to thinking. My PC is 6 years old - Dell/Vista. I have over 30,000 hours run time on it. The fan is a little noisy. I think I'll replace it. :whistling:

7. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Every mac item ive acquired to date has been flawless. It sounds more like you have an unusual one-off lemon. Id demand they replace it. Shouldnt be hard considering the circumstances. Some states even have lemon laws id look into if theres a problem.

8. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

I LOL'ed when I read the caption "Photo of the iMac in its natural state." :rofl:

Well that sucks. Yesterday I thought my new i7 Win7 system was FUBAR. Windows Update was bugging me to do an update. I had some time and told it to go ahead. Checked to see how much as the last one was only two weeks ago. Holy crap, 250 MB worth! Started it and continued to surf. About 30 seconds later the "uh-oh" sound came out of the speakers and my screens went blank.

Crap.

The HD light was going crazy so I left it alone for about an hour. At that point the HD light was now just flashing briefly about once a second and had been doing so for about 50 minutes. With nothing left to do I pressed the reset button and prayed. BIOS screen flashed up and then the screen that says "Windows did not shut down properly. What do you want to do?" I chose "Start Windows Normally" and then about peed myself when I saw the BIOS screen come up again.

However, it quickly booted to the login screen. I logged in and looked at the Update History and all the new updates were installed and everything appeared fine and 24 hours later it is just fine. Dodged one there...

9. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Do you want me to post about my POS Dell or Gateway or HP?

When you have that many problems that other users are not having the problem points to you.

And iMacs weigh less than my old tower or my old CRT monitor alone, so calling it unwieldy and heavy makes you sound like a woman.

10. Ftttu

Ftttu

I went Mac the day or day after Windows 8 came out, and I have no desire to change back. It is a simple little Mac Mini, but I'm super happy with it. In reference to computers sandwiched into a screen, I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Stuff happens. Someone got a bad build duessenberg in the day, too.

Sometimes a system is cursed. Have seen 2-3 PC's over my life that were fully replaced and still had gremlins.

I own or have owned. . . 6 Macs. Only one ever had problems. Had to bring it in 3x to get it fixed. It was a bizarre glitch in some wire.

One Mac and you think they all suck is a small sample set. But you should be at the "replace this machine" level at 6 trips to the store.

12. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

A whole 12lbs. My wife was looking for a tower when I took mine out of the box, too funny.

13. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Here at the Flipper Estate we have happily been running iMacs and Powerbooks trouble free since 1988.

14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Uh uh...another iBoy overcompensating for "something". Come on over big boy and you haul the damn thing across a crowded shopping mall parking lot, through the double doors and through the freakin food court....oh....and if it slips from your hand or someone lets a door slam into it....you owe me $2K. I've made the trip eight times and my wife's done it twice. Your turn.

The thing is...NOBODY ever says "If you wanna work ON your computer get a Mac; if you wanna work WITH your computer get a PC."

But every time I'm with my wife at the Mac store and we rib each other about our divided house with regards to PC/Mac....some smug little blue shirt-wearing twit will prattle off "If you wanna work ON your computer get a PC; if you wanna work WITH your computer get a Mac."

Nobody ever says PCs are perfect.
    However, if anyone ever declares a Mac isn't anything other than PERFECT, they get attacked by iBoys.

Case in point, your post...i-Boy.

15. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

22 pounds...it's the big one.
    It's not the weight...it's toting the big, slippery, delicate, EXPENSIVE computer back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and.....

Just took this....wifey, enjoying here iMac while talking to customer support. The screen is a lovely shade of white. It's very soothing.
    [​IMG]

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

No, they have problems, but to have 5 problems points to something on your end. I don't care if it's Dell, Mac, or a Honda. Don't take it so personal MS fanboy.

I did take my macbook pro [my other computers are a homebuilt desktop, and 2 HP laptops] in once because I absolutely could not get it to connect to my wifi. When I got there, it connected fine. Still have issues with it at my house sometimes. :steamed: If I change the network name it will connect again no problem. My solution is to keep two networks running and just hop on the other one when I have an issue. Haven't had the issue in a while though.

17. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

BTW, lots of people have tried to say PCs were perfect. It's just that their computers crashed before they hit the submit button so the posts never make it to the internet.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Clearly you are breaking it out of spite.

Kidding

Everyone makes a lemon from time to time. I have the following and since 2006 they've been flawless:

MBP15
    MBP13
    MB13
    MBA13
    MBA11
    IPad 2
    IPad 2
    iPad mini
    Apple TV gen 1
    Apple TV current gen
    Time capsule 3 TB
    IPHONE 4s
    iPhone 5
    Various generations of iPods

Quality and my customer sat is thru the roof.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

As I type this....wifey just got off the phone with customer support.
    They want to replace the entire contents of the computer, but not the computer itself.
    Parts won't be here until Wednesday.

Damn she's pissed. She can't do some important parts of her job until she gets her computer back up. Her entire company (~20 people) are all Mac-based...and she makes the IT decisions. (She got the entire sales force iPad minis in December).
    She's gathering up ALL her Apple stuff for a photo....and then looking into what it will take to roll her company over to a more "supportable" platform.

Don't shoot the messenger here folks.
    I'm just typing and listening to the cursing and keeping a running commentary.
    We are witnessing an Apple Fan-Girl jump ship and taking people with her.

20. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

Did you buy Apple Care when you bought the iMac??